Well, well, wlll - Miami booster/gifts

Congrats to Yahoo! Sports. Every industry needs a watchdog and they appear to be the only one in the world of college football. Where is ESPN with their infinite resources? I wouldn't expect the corrupt NCAA to police itself and actually have investigators try to break the story themselves. That's why it's so great having an org like Yahoo take the ball and run with it. CF is so damn corrupt that they're just scratching the surface but at least they're doing the scratching. Maybe these scandels will bring about real changes within the NCAA.

Yahoo broke the OSU, USC and now the Miami scandels and I'm sure I'm missing a couple of others.

On a side note, Stew Mandel on SI.com mentioned that Robert Mavre (Purdue's QB and a transfer from Miami) might be linked as well.

On a side note, Stew Mandel on SI.com mentioned that Robert Mavre (Purdue's QB and a transfer from Miami) might be linked as well.

Oh, he's VERY much linked. He even has his own Yahoo reports page. The hammer will come down on him, too.

Pay the players enough to be a normal college kid, not tons of money, but enough to hang out with friends comfortably, live a typical college existence comfortably.

I'm with you on every point except this one. Throwing more money at what is already an issue of money will not make the problem go away. In fact, it will almost certainly only make it worse.

And, despite what some would have you believe - these kids get enough funds for discretionary spending. They have enough to get a pizza or a video game. College kids may want $300 headphones, but they don't need $300 headphones. They may want to blow $50 every night at the bar (and many do), but they don't need to. Athletes already get a substantial compensation that the average college student doesn't get (a free education) - why do they need to have money to buy luxury items that college kids don't need?

College isn't supposed to be "comfortable". The only kids I know who were "comfortable" in college were the ones who had a guaranteed job waiting at daddy's law/accounting/consulting firm and had to get a degree because that's the expectation. No one, including an athlete, is entitled to being "comfortable" in college. College is supposed to be tough. You're supposed to struggle. It's supposed to prepare you for the real world. This entire scandal is a perfect object lesson of that very thing - what does it teach our younger generation when they receive everything they want (and more) because of who they are, not what they've accomplished?

I get you. Fair points.
I just think it would remove "gateway situations" where kids may take 50 bucks, 100 bucks and risk their whole playing future. It removes the day to day living excuse and would make any bribe issue stand out as a major one.
If they do get some money now that they can use for day to day spending then that's enough, I used to get by on probably 50 bucks a month besides room and board, it doesn't take much.

Just read that...unreal. Makes you wonder what other schools in the SEC and ACC get away with if that was going on for years and years without being caught. Miami is screwed! Almost feel bad for Al Golden.

I feel worse for Jim Larranaga. Al Golden's young. He will be able to get another job assuming this did not bleed into his tenure. Larranaga's 60. He had one shot at a BCS job and he chose this one. It was a crappy job to begin with. It will now be the worst BCS job in college basketball (if it doesn't get the death penalty) and make George Mason look like Kentucky. Tough break.

. If this is all proven true (a major if) I am thinking that if Miami doesn't get the death penalty the death penalty simply no longer exists.

+1. The penalties given to OSU thus far have been pathetic. If they go light on this, the NCAA is officially a joke.

I don't think they'll get the death penalty, but I think they'll see sanctions far worse than USC. Gotta love SH's final three choices.

I don't think they'll get the death penalty, but I think they'll see sanctions far worse than USC. Gotta love SH's final three choices.

Being that he's not mentioned in these allegations by Shapiro, I seriously wonder if there's not someone else pulling strings behind the scenes at Miami.
At this point it would not surprise me. Simply too much coincidence with all of his top choices being nailed recently. There's plenty of wanna be rapper/real rapper/producer types around Miami.
Maybe even Bryant Mckinnie himself.

The parents/families/guardian also need to be accountable. For example, If your kid comes home with a new $30,000 car and you know the money wasn't coming from the yourself don't you think they should say something to the kid? Where did you get that? What are you doing with a new car? etc.

Isn't there the Miami president or somebody else on the NCAA infractuations (sp?) committee who came down on the USC program? If so he is in hot water.

I dont think the death penalty is an option any more. After what happened to SMU, I think the NCAA has decided never to go that far. But I hope they get major sanctions.

As far as players not being paid enough and living day to day, that is a bunch of bull. I am not sure what they get now for room, board, entertainment, but I want to say it was $1,300/month when I was in school 7-10 years ago. That is way more than enough, especially since all their meals are provided for them. A college student getting that much with no other expenses is more than plenty.

I smell a great 30 for 30 or HBO Real Sports documentary coming soon out of this mess. In all seriousness, if "the U" doesn't get bombed on with the death penalty or equal heavy sanctions then the suits back in Indianapolis are in the pocket with Miami. I would like to compare violations, but these seem way worse than SMU. I mean come on, paid abortions for hooker strippers? You couldn't make this crap up.

Yeah, I've been looking at the violations SMU had after I read the yahoo article last night on Miami.. And I'd say they are on par with eachother. I didn't do the math on how much money was going to SMU's kids and how much went to Miami's recruits (not to mention the inflation).. But they both are huge because of the length of time the scandals went on for.

It all goes back to Donna Shalala. Every football program at every university she's ever been involved with should be given the death penalty - just to be safe.

It all goes back to Donna Shalala. Every football program at every university she's ever been involved with should be given the death penalty - just to be safe.

i_see_what_you_did_there_RE_Anyone_else_see_it_I_AM_NOT_DIXLESIC-s450x545-95526-580.jpg

:)

Speaking of Donna Shalala -

Barry Alvarez lost roughly $600,000 in Shapiro's Ponzi scheme (see second-to-last paragraph)

Why would Alvarez, who has lived in Wisconsin exclusively for over 20 years, invest with a random guy in Miami? I wonder who introduced them? Hmm....

Along with the extremely severe penalties the football program will assuredly receive, there's no way Shalala keeps her job coming out of this scandal.

edit #2: Even more disturbing:"The most amazing part of this is that the um compliance officer when all this **** was going down is now the head of the NCAA infractions committee. Inmates running the asylum."
You're thinking of Paul Dee, former AD...so in charge of compliance but not technically the compliance officer. He was the AD from '93 to '08 which means he was the leadership for the department during BOTH of the major NCAA scandals at Miami.
Isn't there the Miami president or somebody else on the NCAA infractuations (sp?) committee who came down on the USC program? If so he is in hot water.
Again, Paul Dee. No hot water for him as he isn't with Miami anymore and isn't subject to the NCAA. Dude comes off as a huge effing dbag/hypocrite though.

If this is all proven true (a major if) I am thinking that if Miami doesn't get the death penalty the death penalty simply no longer exists.

Yea, Yahoo sports did their homework and Shapiro turned over the same evidence to the NCAA. So it should be pretty easy to prove a decent chunk of this.

Yeah, I've been looking at the violations SMU had after I read the yahoo article last night on Miami.. And I'd say they are on par with eachother. I didn't do the math on how much money was going to SMU's kids and how much went to Miami's recruits (not to mention the inflation).. But they both are huge because of the length of time the scandals went on for.

The Miami violations are certainly major but they are not on par with SMU. SMU had written contracts with players, a PAYROLL and documented evidence that the board of regents/governors was in on all of this as well as members of the coaching staff AND the athletic director.The regents felt they were "duty bound" to continue paying the older players and had a plan to phase out the payments in the coming years while they WERE ON PROBATION for previous recruiting violations a year or two earlier. Also, a booster, who was supposed to be banned from any contact with the program due to the previous violations, was paying for a player's apartment. The SMU debacle was a case of the NCAA slapping their pee pee and SMU in turn pissing all over the NCAA. They got the death penalty because their was involvement from the bottom to the top rungs of the university and they were repeat offenders that clearly didn't give a shiite.

Miami's deal SO FAR goes back to a single booster. The allegations are very serious but not the same as SMU.

Mandel makes a good point about how does the NCAA not give them the death penalty? They are a repeat offender, the NCAA hammered USC for two players indescretions while this involves 73 players and 6 coaches. They may not get the death penalty but they may get a life sentence.

I fully understand some sort of this goes on at every school but this is a little excessive.

Golden has to be kicking himself for not holding out for another year or two to have his shot at PSU.

They're going to get the Miami becomes the fifth school in Florida penalty. Completely off the map and forgotten about other than a 30 for 30 special in 15 years.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# it all. I will watch High School Football from here on in.

What I will watch is HS teams who have not won a game for the last two years. Those kids have nuts and guts.

The Miami violations are certainly major but they are not on par with SMU. SMU had written contracts with players, a PAYROLL and documented evidence that the board of regents/governors was in on all of this as well as members of the coaching staff AND the athletic director.The regents felt they were "duty bound" to continue paying the older players and had a plan to phase out the payments in the coming years while they WERE ON PROBATION for previous recruiting violations a year or two earlier. Also, a booster, who was supposed to be banned from any contact with the program due to the previous violations, was paying for a player's apartment. The SMU debacle was a case of the NCAA slapping their pee pee and SMU in turn pissing all over the NCAA. They got the death penalty because their was involvement from the bottom to the top rungs of the university and they were repeat offenders that clearly didn't give a shiite.

Miami's deal SO FAR goes back to a single booster. The allegations are very serious but not the same as SMU.

I initially agreed with you. But lets not forget Miami was on probation when this booster came around. He was literally shown the ropes by the coaches and players. Granted the Miami admin didn't partake in these affairs, they certainly turned the other way. They might as well hand the cash to the players themselves. Like the guy said.. Christ, all they had to do was LOOK.

I initially agreed with you. But lets not forget Miami was on probation when this booster came around. He was literally shown the ropes by the coaches and players. Granted the Miami admin didn't partake in these affairs, they certainly turned the other way. They might as well hand the cash to the players themselves. Like the guy said.. Christ, all they had to do was LOOK.

That's the key though, they didn't look. These violations are serious and the biggest since the SMU scandal and it's pretty damn close to it, just not on par (from what we know now). The full SMU administration was in collusion unlike Miami so it doesn't reach that level, IMO.

I don't really know how this stuff works, but if the ncaa is punishing all the major conferences, what is to stop them from breaking out? What does the ncaa offer the B1G? We have our own network and contract deals with abc/espn, the bcs runs the bowls. What does the ncaa bring other than rules and enforcement? If that truly is the case why cant each conference have their own rules and enforcement? Again, i truly dont know what the ncaa role is so sorry for the probably simplistic question.

The thing that keeps going through my mind is that this is only the beginning. If Miami can overlook this guy over eight years (including time they were on probation), then how many other boosters were out there doing similar things, even if on a smaller scale?

When wind of OSU's scandal hit, the real damage was done when everybody started looking into how deep the corruption went.
This stuff at "the U" is border-line death penalty territory as it stands now. This could become far, far worse in the near future.

Top Bottom