Welcome Week

NateDawgUM

bored with recruiting talk
Reaction score
Since the University has a rather captive audience of freshmen at their disposal all week I thought I'd peruse the schedule.

Here's what's on the docket during the UNLV game:

10:00p.m. -12:30a.m. - Fun Zone
Enjoy a variety of games, activities, inflatables, and free snacks!

Glad to know the U thinks 18 year olds want to play middle school games and eat potato chips. Would it be so hard to open up TCF and have all of the freshmen gather there for dinner and the game on the big screen? Sell season tickets outside.

Wow that is sad, I feel confident that we could f up a two car parade at times. In-f'n-flatables?!

They could have had a free concert for the 5,500 possible season ticket holders at TCF prior to kickoff then showed the game on the big screen.

They could have had a free concert for the 5,500 possible season ticket holders at TCF prior to kickoff then showed the game on the big screen.

Yea but what about the inflatables?! :cool:

This welcome event Sounds like an event Dave Mona would plan for college kids.

I know a ton of kids last year that blew off that event for the sole purpose of watching the USC game. Those who care will watch. Unfortunately it doesn't bring in those who are on the fence about football.

Since the University has a rather captive audience of freshmen at their disposal all week I thought I'd peruse the schedule.

Here's what's on the docket during the UNLV game:

10:00p.m. -12:30a.m. - Fun Zone
Enjoy a variety of games, activities, inflatables, and free snacks!

Glad to know the U thinks 18 year olds want to play middle school games and eat potato chips. Would it be so hard to open up TCF and have all of the freshmen gather there for dinner and the game on the big screen? Sell season tickets outside.

Know your audience.

And just think - as they watched the game on the Jumbotron, and if the U even threw in a few bucks for hot dogs...they may actually have an incredible experience and buy season tickets...or at least develop some interest in the football team. But that would make too much sense, games and inflatables it is!!!! :)

Games and Inflatables? Seriously? Find a way to get these new kids involved in Gopher football.

I ditched inflatables at the county fair at the age of 12. no way this appeals to 18 year olds.

showing the game on the jumbotron is such a great idea. shows just how out of touch they are. This has maturi and bruinicks flavor to it. Hopefully teague and kaler will come up with something better next year.

Why wait til next year? They already own the stadium so they don't need to rent it out. It already has seats. The kids are already going to be on campus. They can keep the inflatable event on for disinterested students as an alternative, I think inflatable fans and football fans are mutually exclusive.

This thing plans itself. Meet beforehand at the Superblock for pizza and hot dogs. Have the marching band lead the students to the stadium. Do some practice cheers at 9:30, have Tubby Smith or Hugh McCutcheon or anybody give a speech about being a Gopher fan and how student support is important to a successful sports program. Flip the game on at 10.

I guess you'd probably have to hire a bit of security but come on. I think the real problem is that the Office of First Year Programs and the Athletic Dept. probably have next to no communication or coordination. I hope Kaler can find a way to unite all of the University departments, they seem to compete more than work together.

Why wait til next year? They already own the stadium so they don't need to rent it out. It already has seats. The kids are already going to be on campus. They can keep the inflatable event on for disinterested students as an alternative, I think inflatable fans and football fans are mutually exclusive.

This thing plans itself. Meet beforehand at the Superblock for pizza and hot dogs. Have the marching band lead the students to the stadium. Do some practice cheers at 9:30, have Tubby Smith or Hugh McCutcheon or anybody give a speech about being a Gopher fan and how student support is important to a successful sports program. Flip the game on at 10.

I guess you'd probably have to hire a bit of security but come on. I think the real problem is that the Office of First Year Programs and the Athletic Dept. probably have next to no communication or coordination. I hope Kaler can find a way to unite all of the University departments, they seem to compete more than work together.

+1
No need to wait. As an alumni and season ticket holder it's stuff like this that really ticks me off. I have a feeling if Coach Kill knew about this he would have something to say.

Don't knock the inflateables and games. These people are going to know almost no one and they provide a fun place to meet new people. Why don't they do it on friday though? My friends at the U are getting season tickets but I would bet $100 they go to an event like this over watching the game. Have a viewing party SOMEWHERE on campus. It doesn't have to be TCF if there's some sort of logistics reasoning behind this thursday and have the fun and games on friday and keep some kids from getting schwasted.

I remember last year there was some sort of event going on during the USC game, because I remember being worried that I might have to miss the game due to some Welcome Week event. It must have been optional though, because I know I watched that entire game in my dorm floor lounge.

Free pop at the beer tent while the game is on the jumbotron. That way the kids get used to using the beer tent at games at TCF.

Can anyone email this to Norwood? Seems like doing what was originally planned on another part of campus could easily be moved to the field with a table set up to sell tickets. The stadium was promoted as a key gathering place for campus.

Gee, maybe they should hire Bozo the clown also. My wife owned an advertising firm in Duluth and she just throws her arms up in the air when it comes to marketing
Gopher football.

I hope this is not true but does not surprise me that it likely is. Would other school Welcome Week's not have the focus on the game?

ButchNashGuy said:
I hope this is not true but does not surprise me that it likely is. Would other school Welcome Week's not have the focus on the game?

Interesting, I hadn't thought of this before: do you think that opening on the road the last few years has had any affect on the student attandence? If freshmen had a game to go to their first weekend on campus, would it hook them? Sure would be better than the bouncey castle.

Because of noise ordinances, being a work night it might be too late in night to show game on jumbo tron. Is the new scoreboard in Williams done yet? Might be an alternative.

Why do these events have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't they hold BOTH events at the same place. Inflate those inflatables right under the scoreboard at TCF or Williams. Really, this is just sad. What an opportunity to pull the Freshman together and get them pumped to wear the maroon and gold, and take those first steps of building school spirit. Instead it is fun and games away from their football team taking the field. Ironically, the activity actually spans almost the exact length of the game. Good grief...

Here's a crazy idea. The Gophs have said that for the next several years, they will open up at home and plan to play a Thursday night game going into Labor Day weekend.

Now, to the crazy idea - make the 1st game of the season FREE for incoming freshmen at the U. (probably have to have a limit on the # of free tickets being handed out). Then, offer the incoming freshmen a discounted/pro-rated deal on season tickets for the remainder of the season.

Sell it as a way to meet fellow freshmen (possibly of the opposite sex......) and have a fun time while supporting the FB team. Get the freshmen hooked, and hopefully they'll become season ticket holders for their entire college careers. The loss in revenue would be minimal, and presents the opportunity to create future fans and revenue.
Might just be able to create a really fun atmosphere for the season opener, with a lot of freshmen showing some enthusiasm.

Waddya think?

Well, they did this last year for me with the USC game too (obviously I skipped it, and it was a more important event than inflatables and what not). Not surprised at all anymore with the decisions they make.

For this fun zone I'm insisting the game is on the big screen at TCF this is TCF

That and if there are inflatables there better be water baloons and supersoakers to toss at the inflatables and 4 each other.

I'm turning this thing into a giant water fight if I'm the freshman, big buckets of water balloons, large supersoakers
and squirt guns for everyone. Everyone is getting soaked.
If it's going to be warm it's going to be a soakem up water fight to see who can get the most
drenched. If the U will not do it the Freshman should coordinate this themselves, to heck with inflatables time to get soaking
WET baby. Campus water fight anyone?

Because of noise ordinances, being a work night it might be too late in night to show game on jumbo tron. Is the new scoreboard in Williams done yet? Might be an alternative.

I was wondering the same. A 7pm start is one thing, but 10 pm start is awfully late-won't be over till 1 or 2 am.

The speakers don't need to be turned up to 11. You could have the game on at the stadium and not impact any of the people that live nearby.

Here's a crazy idea. The Gophs have said that for the next several years, they will open up at home and plan to play a Thursday night game going into Labor Day weekend.

Now, to the crazy idea - make the 1st game of the season FREE for incoming freshmen at the U. (probably have to have a limit on the # of free tickets being handed out). Then, offer the incoming freshmen a discounted/pro-rated deal on season tickets for the remainder of the season.

Sell it as a way to meet fellow freshmen (possibly of the opposite sex......) and have a fun time while supporting the FB team. Get the freshmen hooked, and hopefully they'll become season ticket holders for their entire college careers. The loss in revenue would be minimal, and presents the opportunity to create future fans and revenue.
Might just be able to create a really fun atmosphere for the season opener, with a lot of freshmen showing some enthusiasm.

Waddya think?

Not a bad idea. This would be very feasible for next year if current student ticket demand were to stay consistent over the next year. Going forward you would need to have a freshman allotment if demand were to spike.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there was a freshman allotment for the first year at TCF. The free game/pro rated idea is somewhat original and could gain traction for a few years.

Top Bottom