Welcome new GopherHole Members!!

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As you can imagine, we have had more new members sign up to post on GopherHole in the last month than we ever have in any other single month in the 22 year history of our site. Welcome to all of our new members and we are excited for you to join our community!

For others to get to know you, we encourage you to share your fandom as a Gopher fan - how long have you been a GopherHoler? Are you a U alum or just a MN Gopher fan? Are you a season ticket holder?

Please post in this thread and let us know if you have any questions about the site.

Last edited:

I was in the marching band from 04 - 07. Didn't care much about college football prior to my time at the U, but have been a huge fan since. I witnessed the end of the Mason years and Brewsters' 1-11 season (but the band never lost!) and am insanely jealous that I missed marching in the new stadium by only a couple years.

I lurked GH off and on the past 3 years and finally pulled the trigger in registering when the new board came online. I'll likely stick to voting in polls and the occasional post reaction, but the regular banter here keeps me coming back daily!

1. I've been lurking for about a decade (followed along here with the Brewster fiasco, soupcan’s concern for ol’ jers health and his ability to coach, and the (un)verified sightings of Shaka Smart eating hotdogs at deja vu).

2. T-shirt fan (from Target, not Wal Mart).

3. Yes.

live out of state, Gopher fan since the mid-60's. Followed as best I could through 26 year military career, love having access to TV now for almost all FB/BBK games. Long time lurker. I felt right away PJ Fleck was the best hire in my lifetime, hope that turns out to be true.

I’ve been a fan since the late 90s. Lou Holtz coaching when I was born. I’m just a big sports fan

I attended the U from 2012-2017, and was in the Marching band from 2013-2017. I believe I joined Gopher Hole during the summer of 2014 after lurking for a few months. Don't have season tickets to anything right now because I live in WA at the moment.

I’ve been a daily lurker for almost 15 years! Had season tickets for about 10 years until kids. The enthusiasm is too contageous to stay on the sidelines.

Glad you made this post welcoming new perspectives. As much as I appreciate all the old characters, the “elitist mentality” stemming from number of posts made, is a pretty comical way of measuring gopher fandom.

Great to see the new posters and posts! Keep them coming!

Member since 2010. Lifelong fan plus medical school and residency at UMN. Had student tickets then season tickets for 8 years during that time and somehow never missed a home game. Now I'm on the west coast and have to work every Saturday of football season and it's been killing me that I can't be at TCF for these huge games.

In high school must have gotten free tickets to a game if on HS team. Saw a tough loss in person to Ohio State 1972 or so. Used to bring my son to first game of the year, place would be empty so we could sneak down to better seats. One year we had an entire section to ourselves 20 rows up on the 30 yard line. Next thing I know the band leaves the field and joins us (to our surprise we were in the band section), tubas lined up in row behind us. Everyone was cool they just let us sit there. Now the band sits in the end zone.

I have been a fan as long as I can remember (born in 1990).
My dad remembers holding me as a new born when we went to the elite 8 in basketball.
I am more of a Gopher football fan, but the first real memory I have as a Gopher fan was making it to the final 4 in basketball. Being from Los Angeles I remember being so proud to beatUCLA

Long time lurker, and now just beginning to post some. U undergrad 90-94. Spent more time following the dang Grateful Dead than paying attention to what was going on at the Dome. Making up for lost time.
Season ticket holder now for 3 years, and for me gopher games are a family affair. My wife (who’s an adjunct at the U) and my 3 daughters attend every home game, and have shared some pretty amazing experiences as a result. This year has been transcendent, and I hope it’s just a hint of the years to come.

Long time lurker, and now just beginning to post some. U undergrad 90-94. Spent more time following the dang Grateful Dead than paying attention to what was going on at the Dome. Making up for lost time.
Season ticket holder now for 3 years, and for me gopher games are a family affair. My wife (who’s an adjunct at the U) and my 3 daughters attend every home game, and have shared some pretty amazing experiences as a result. This year has been transcendent, and I hope it’s just a hint of the years to come.

Glad to see you made the move from lurker to poster! And great to hear you and the family are making memories together at games, that's how it all begins!

For so long it has been agony rather than ecstasy for Gopher fans (I was at the 1952 game when John Cappelletti, in a trick play, tossed the winning TD pass to Paul Giel, who was the passer on the team). But later attended the 2003 Michigan 4th quarter disaster and all the other disasters and close calls. The PJ success this year seems unreal, and sometimes I think the TV football pundits are talking about another team, in a parallel universe. But I guess it's true. Finally, some ecstasy! Welcome aboard all those new to the site - we appreciate your participation and your comments.

As you can imagine, we have had more new members sign up to post on GopherHole in the last month than we ever have in any other single month in the 22 year history of our site. Welcome to all of our new members and we are excited for you to join our community!

For others to get to know you, we encourage you to share your fandom as a Gopher fan - how long have you been a GopherHoler? Are you a U alum or just a MN Gopher fan? Are you a season ticket holder?

Please post in this thread and let us know if you have any questions about the site.

Share season tickets to both football and basketball, and have browsed gophehole since 2001. Had a login that for the life of me I can’t remember. I went to UST but have always been a gopher at heart. Grandpa played basketball for the gophers, but unfortunately did not pass on that athleticism to his grandson. Not super helpful that my mom is 5’2”.
Excited for Saturday! Rah!

Just been a lurker for a while, but It's been great to come to GopherHole & feel connected to true fans - not many around here where I live near Milwaukee.

Gopher fan since I spent Saturdays at Coffman when my Dad was taking grad courses. Bought my 1st student season football ticket for $13. Was in the stadium for '77 Brown Jug win. Sister long time season ticket holder. 6 alumni in my family including both parents. Full disclosure: daughter and son-in-law are badgers.

Go Gophers!

Just been a lurker for a while, but It's been great to come to GopherHole & feel connected to true fans - not many around here where I live near Milwaukee.

Gopher fan since I spent Saturdays at Coffman when my Dad was taking grad courses. Bought my 1st student season football ticket for $13. Was in the stadium for '77 Brown Jug win. Sister long time season ticket holder. 6 alumni in my family including both parents. Full disclosure: daughter and son-in-law are badgers.

Go Gophers!

Great story!! Love that you transitioned from Lurker to Poster!

Folks, I reviewed the list of items that you cannot bring into TCF Bank Stadium. Not clear if I could bring in a blanket or two or not. Will be at the game today. Anyone know?

Folks, I reviewed the list of items that you cannot bring into TCF Bank Stadium. Not clear if I could bring in a blanket or two or not. Will be at the game today. Anyone know?
Positive you can. If it is a battery powered heated blanket, it must be checked by a security supervisor.

Been a Gopher fan since about 1966 when my future wife was a student at the U. Long gone are those days when I thought every program had an equal chance. Cynical, but hopeful. A few years ago I saw a game on TV between Western Michigan and a quite good Northwestern team. Western played a very stuctured, clean game where it seemed that every player knew exactly what he needed to do on every play and they won the game. I thought, who is that coach?!?! Was estatic when we hired him as our coach. We now have the best program coach we have ever had in all those decades. The fit is perfect or as close to perfect as we will ever get.

I'm not a new member, but thought some might be interested why a Razorback fan is on this board.
In October of 2009, I had to travel to Mankato for work. Being a big college football fan, I got to looking around and saw the Gophers were playing at home and I was going to be in Mankato over the weekend. Prior to this, I knew nothing about the Gophers other than the mascot. I came to this board and posted looking for a ticket to the Purdue game. STPGopher came through and we scheduled to meet before the game. I got up early on Saturday morning, put on my red jacket (more to come on that later) and headed to Minneapolis. Just happens that there was a huge cold front that wasn't really in the forecast. I believe it was in the upper 20's and a north wind. I met up with STPGopher and he gave me a lot of Gopher history, etc. We went to the stadium (I believe 09 was the first year of TCF). I kept getting looks and STPGopher informed me that my red jacket was the same color as your most hated team - Wisconsin. We sat through the game and had a lot of good discussion on Minnesota and Arkansas. Arkansas was playing at the same time and beat Auburn and Minnesota beat Purdue that day.

I became a Gopher fan after a great (cold) experience and continued to lurk and post some on the board. Fast forward a little bit and Arkansas hires Burt Bielema so I stayed away from the board a little. Haha.

Since my visit, I have kept up with the Gophers quite a bit. I try and watch every game and am excited about how your team has done this year.

Go Hogs/Go Gophers.

Been a lifelong Gopher fan and follower of Gopherhole for a decade. I’m not an alum of the U of M, however, my oldest has just signed to run track for the Gophers, so I feel a real sense of connectedness to the university and I felt it was a good time to join the conversation. Lastly, PJ inspires me to wanna be a better man!

Been a lifelong Gopher fan and follower of Gopherhole for a decade. I’m not an alum of the U of M, however, my oldest has just signed to run track for the Gophers, so I feel a real sense of connectedness to the university and I felt it was a good time to join the conversation. Lastly, PJ inspires me to wanna be a better man!

Great first post and congrats to your son!

Top Bottom