Welcome new GopherHole members, please introduce yourself!

Fan, Alumni, Marching Band member 1967 - 1970. Season ticket holder 1971 - 1980, 1984 to present. Favorite game: Gophers beat #1 Michigan 16 - 0 in 1977. (2nd would be Minnesota vs. Iowa 1960, followed by Minnesota vs. Penn State 2019)
I was in the student section 9 (We've got pride in section 9!) for that '77 game. I was so excited about that victory that they had to kick me out as I was one of the last fans in the stands.

Not new, but I’ve consciously avoided the forum the last year and a half.

Even the football forum became so politically charged and gross. Used to be a daily read. Just started checking in again. So far so good!

Seems like political commentary has been moved to OT Board much quicker.

Welcome new posters!

New member that signed up a couple months ago. I have enjoyed the site for years and decided to finally join and add comments as needed. Long time fan and alumni. I have memories of watching the Rose Bowls in 1961 and 1962 and thinking this is common event. First game in person was 1962 Gophers vs Navy a 21-0 victory and a chance to see a hot shot young quarterback named Roger Staubach although did not know at the time

Hopefully a Rose Bowl at some point hence the Next Year. In talking football with family and friends we always say "Maybe Next Year"

New member that signed up a couple months ago. I have enjoyed the site for years and decided to finally join and add comments as needed. Long time fan and alumni. I have memories of watching the Rose Bowls in 1961 and 1962 and thinking this is common event. First game in person was 1962 Gophers vs Navy a 21-0 victory and a chance to see a hot shot young quarterback named Roger Staubach although did not know at the time

Hopefully a Rose Bowl at some point hence the Next Year. In talking football with family and friends we always say "Maybe Next Year"

Welcome and we appreciate you registering for an account and look forward to your posts.

Not new, but I’ve consciously avoided the forum the last year and a half.

Even the football forum became so politically charged and gross. Used to be a daily read. Just started checking in again. So far so good!

We are taking much quicker action on political comments on this board. If there is a thread that goes off the rocker, please DM us and we will address.

I’m brand new to the board. I live in the DFW area down here in Texas. My nephew is a true freshman on the team, so I’m trying to immerse myself in all things Gopher football. Full disclosure, I’m a Univ of Texas alum, but I’m more excited about Gopher football this season.
Welcome aboard! Your nephew will have the time of his life up here. There is never a dull moment with Coach PJ Fleck. He certainly gets my attention.

Welcome aboard! Your nephew will have the time of his life up here. There is never a dull moment with Coach PJ Fleck. He certainly gets my attention.
Thanks! I know he’s loving it so far, and our family really likes what we know about PJ, both on the field, and behind the scenes. He’s such a high character guy.

Thanks! I know he’s loving it so far, and our family really likes what we know about PJ, both on the field, and behind the scenes. He’s such a high character guy.
Great school in a great metropolitan area. A lot of players end up living here after college.

I thought the guy was flakey at first. I am sure half of the fans and opponents thought so, too. He is unconventional in his approach to coaching and motivating.

As a former sixth-grade teacher, he knows how to relate to and motivate young players. People forget that they are young kids with impressionable minds. He sure makes it fun for the players while allowing them to bond as a team. His players bought into his unique moniker. Results don't lie. The success started coming when the players lead. The kids saw all the improvements in all facets of their lives.

It's either you love him or hate him. He had said on Day One that he is not for everyone.

Some of the state's top recruits that got away probably wished they had stayed home and played for the Gophers. He does care to shape the lives of his players. Also, the careers and aspirations of his coaches.

Someone said when he arrived that he must be on crack cocaine. The guy is an indefatigable recruiter and coach. His mom thought something was wrong with him with that boundless energy at a young age. According to the doctor, he is normal. He just has a lot more juice than the average kid.

I thought the guy was flakey at first. I am sure half of the fans and opponents thought so, too. He is unconventional in his approach to coaching and motivating.

As a former sixth-grade teacher, he knows how to relate to and motivate young players. People forget that they are young kids with impressionable minds. He sure makes it fun for the players while allowing them to bond as a team. His players bought into his unique moniker. Results don't lie. The success started coming when the players lead. The kids saw all the improvements in all facets of their lives.

It's either you love him or hate him. He had said on Day One that he is not for everyone.

Some of the state's top recruits that got away probably wished they had stayed home and played for the Gophers. He does care to shape the lives of his players. Also, the careers and aspirations of his coaches.

Someone said when he arrived that he must be on crack cocaine. The guy is an indefatigable recruiter and coach. His mom thought something was wrong with him with that boundless energy at a young age. According to the doctor, he is normal. He just has a lot more juice than the average kid.
On a personal level, he really cares about the kids, and their families. I know my nephew is in good hands. I’ll re-visit this thread one day and share a personal story of why I hold him in such high regard. Like I said earlier, he’s a high character man.

On a personal level, he really cares about the kids, and their families. I know my nephew is in good hands. I’ll re-visit this thread one day and share a personal story of why I hold him in such high regard. Like I said earlier, he’s a high character man.
Can you go ahead and post that story please? I am interested.

Hello. Long time Gopher fan here. Excited for this season as I think we could be even better than the 2019 team. Defense much improved + offense more mature. Recently relocated to Dallas, Texas area. Very hot here.

We are taking much quicker action on political comments on this board. If there is a thread that goes off the rocker, please DM us and we will address.
Yeah...you might want to take a look at one that is in the top 10 on this football board right now.

FredCoxRocks: [*stands up] Hello new members. My name is Fred.
New Members (all together): Hi Fred.
FCR: I've been with this group since 2014. If this forum is the wagon, I've been both off and on it since then...oh, not the "bandwagon", the other wagon...I log on in streaks. I think I've always been a Gopher fan; however, my devotion was solidified when I would watch the slow-motion highlights of the previous day's game on Sunday morning...some local channel ('CCO?), can't remember which. And they were narrated, too...by some guy I can't recall (Hal Scott? Ralph Jon Fritz?...I don't remember), regardless, it was very low budget by today's standards but it did the trick. I remember watching Tony Dungy run the option a lot. I would practice that in the yard. I would make my little brother be the running back and then I'd never pitch it to him. He hates Tony Dungy.
Anyway, getting off track here. Welcome new members. Thank you.

*sits down

Last edited:

Joined in October 2018 but never introduced myself. Lifelong Minnesotan and Gopher fan who, in a weak moment, attended college outside the state (and outside the Big Ten). Did have the presence of mind to attend graduate school at the U. Many, many relatives preceded me at the U. I’m a “homer” and have tremendous respect for all true student athletes. They work harder than anyone else at the job of “college.” Gopherhole is a very good fan forum except when, in the rare case, it veers severely off topic and is unable to right itself.

Guess I'm new enough to still be new to the board, but have been here long enough to remember the good old days when MplsGopher was banned (sigh, those were nice days..., at least the ignore feature works pretty well). I'm a lifelong Gopher fan, but never went to school at the U of MN. I've got undergrad degrees from Bethel and Purdue, grad school degrees from Florida and UCLA, and did post-grad work at Michigan, so I've got MIAC, B1G, SEC and PAC degrees. I never cheer for Iowa, except once a year when they're playing the Badgers, but I do follow Tulane (long story on why I'm with the Greenwave). I've lived in a dozen different states and spent more time than I wanted living in the UK (Reading), but am now back home in Minnesota splitting time between here and living in Austin, TX. Lots of places, but I grew up a Gopher fan and have always stayed a fan. Go Gophers!!!

Fan, Alumni, Marching Band member 1967 - 1970. Season ticket holder 1971 - 1980, 1984 to present. Favorite game: Gophers beat #1 Michigan 16 - 0 in 1977. (2nd would be Minnesota vs. Iowa 1960, followed by Minnesota vs. Penn State 2019)
Impressive list! Imagine Penn St being only the 3rd best game you’ve seen.

Each year as we approach the start of the football season, we get a slew of new members, this year is no different. For those that have recently registered for an account, welcome! Please introduce yourself: season ticket holder? Out of state fan? Favorite Gopher game?
Hey everyone! Im a freshmen at the U and I’m from New York. Been a die hard giants fan my whole life and my dad tried raised me a Syracuse fan but I always preferred big ten football which he didn’t love lol. My first and favorite gopher game was 2019 vs penn state. It’s the game that made me want to apply to minnesota!

Hey everyone! Im a freshmen at the U and I’m from New York. Been a die hard giants fan my whole life and my dad tried raised me a Syracuse fan but I always preferred big ten football which he didn’t love lol. My first and favorite gopher game was 2019 vs penn state. It’s the game that made me want to apply to minnesota!

Welcome! Hope you have an awesome experience at the U!

Hi I'm a native of Delaware. I have no affiliation with the University of Minnasota whatsoever. Actually probably couldn't even locate Minnasota on a map if I'm being honest. What is it like by Indiana or something? I am also kind of an asshole.

Welcome! Spread your love of gopher football to the other freshman!

Top Bottom