Welcome new GopherHole members, please introduce yourself!

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Each year as we approach the start of the football season, we get a slew of new members, this year is no different. For those that have recently registered for an account, welcome! Please introduce yourself: season ticket holder? Out of state fan? Favorite Gopher game?

Each year as we approach the start of the football season, we get a slew of new members, this year is no different. For those that have recently registered for an account, welcome! Please introduce yourself: season ticket holder? Out of state fan? Favorite Gopher game?
Fan. Alumni, out of state. My first season seeing Gopher football was their National Championship year of 1960. I was a freshman. Been hooked ever since.

Fan. Alumni, out of state. My first season seeing Gopher football was their National Championship year of 1960. I was a freshman. Been hooked ever since.

Love it! Can't imagine you expected your first year would be the "gold old days" but sure hope we get back to that again.

Fan, Alumni, Marching Band member 1967 - 1970. Season ticket holder 1971 - 1980, 1984 to present. Favorite game: Gophers beat #1 Michigan 16 - 0 in 1977. (2nd would be Minnesota vs. Iowa 1960, followed by Minnesota vs. Penn State 2019)

I’m brand new to the board. I live in the DFW area down here in Texas. My nephew is a true freshman on the team, so I’m trying to immerse myself in all things Gopher football. Full disclosure, I’m a Univ of Texas alum, but I’m more excited about Gopher football this season.

I am fan of Gopher Football, this is my first year as a fan, also, my Grandson is a member
of the Gopher Football team. Good Luck to the Golden Gophers this year.
Go Gophers and good luck to your grandson.

I am fan of Gopher Football, this is my first year as a fan, also, my Grandson is a member

One is never too old to be a Gopher football fan for the first time! Best of luck to your grandson, we hope he has an amazing experience at Minnesota.

I’m brand new to the board. I live in the DFW area down here in Texas. My nephew is a true freshman on the team, so I’m trying to immerse myself in all things Gopher football. Full disclosure, I’m a Univ of Texas alum, but I’m more excited about Gopher football this season.

Welcome! Best of luck to your nephew, we hope he has a great experience at Minnesota!

Ski-U-Mah!

Welcome to the sleeping giant. May you and your family members play a part in the rousing of the giant!

One is never too old to be a Gopher football fan for the first time! Best of luck to your grandson, we hope he has an amazing experience at Minnesota.
So far he is loving being a part of the Gopher football team, and attending the University of Minnesota. Also loves the coaching staff and his teammates. I do enjoy this board. Great people posting here.

1984 graduate, was a football and basketball cheerleader, sat on the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee, Touchdown Club Board member for a number of years and an absolute die hard fan of Gopher Sports. Have lived in Fargo for past 15 years and unfortunately get to hear about the Bison too often...I have been a frequent reader and believe I've only commented a few times. Love to see the discussion and am grateful for everyones' support of our school.

Thank you for the welcome. I grew up in Brainerd, but moved to WI years ago for work. My kids are all MN sports fans. I always said it made them tougher cheering for the Vikings and Gophers over here. We usually see a Gopher and Vikings game in person each year. In 19 we went to the Penn State game and that was probably the most exciting game we have been to. I'm really looking forward to seeing where PJ can take the program.

Welcome! How are you feeling about Texas moving to the sec?

Thank you for the welcome. I grew up in Brainerd, but moved to WI years ago for work. My kids are all MN sports fans. I always said it made them tougher cheering for the Vikings and Gophers over here. We usually see a Gopher and Vikings game in person each year. In 19 we went to the Penn State game and that was probably the most exciting game we have been to. I'm really looking forward to seeing where PJ can take the program.
1984 graduate, was a football and basketball cheerleader, sat on the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee, Touchdown Club Board member for a number of years and an absolute die hard fan of Gopher Sports. Have lived in Fargo for past 15 years and unfortunately get to hear about the Bison too often...I have been a frequent reader and believe I've only commented a few times. Love to see the discussion and am grateful for everyones' support of our school.

Welcome to both of you!! We look forward to you adding to the discussion and hope this is a great season ahead!

Hello all,
I'm excited to join a place with Gopher fans that are so passionate. I was born in St. Paul and grew up loving the Gophers and had season tickets with my dad for about 10 years. Moved out of the cities area when I was young but the love for the Gophers never stopped. My favorite game (besides pretty much any game in 2019) was the Iowa game in 2014. Looking forward to an awesome season. Go Gophers!

Ski-U-Mah!

Welcome to the sleeping giant. May you and your family members play a part in the rousing of the giant!
I have to ask….I need pronunciation help with Ski-U-Mah. Is it pronounced like Skee or Sky? I have to know the simple things if I’m going to embrace this program.
Welcome! How are you feeling about Texas moving to the sec?
Really excited about it. We’ve lost too many recruits because these kids don’t want to play in the Big 12.
is your grandson from Carroll? If so, he and my nephew have become good friends on the team.

I have to ask….I need pronunciation help with Ski-U-Mah. Is it pronounced like Skee or Sky? I have to know the simple things if I’m going to embrace this program.

Really excited about it. We’ve lost too many recruits because these kids don’t want to play in the Big 12.

is your grandson from Carroll? If so, he and my nephew have become good friends on the team.
Yes Sir, he wore #14 the last two years, do you know of whom I speak Sir?

Yes Sir, he wore #14 the last two years, do you know of whom I speak Sir?
Yes, and my family has connected with his mom and dad on Facebook. We’re all becoming good acquaintances. I actually live in Keller not far from Carroll. Got to see your grandson play a few times last year.

So far he is loving being a part of the Gopher football team, and attending the University of Minnesota. Also loves the coaching staff and his teammates. I do enjoy this board. Great people posting here.
Hang in there when we get some trolls on here. They may act like Gopher fans but they are on a mission for selfish reasons as they are worried about the program growing in a great way here in Minnesota. By the way, welcome Dragon21!

I've lived in New York City for the past 25 years and have followed Gopherhole regularly since its inception, but have only posted once (now twice). I graduated in '90 from the U and loved every minute of it, especially the greek system and football, hockey and basketball games. We had some great teams. The only thing I ever asked for my birthday and Christmas growing up were gopher football and hockey tickets....saw so many great games with my Mom and Dad (both alumni) and my friends.

Almost 40 years ago, my dad and I were at the 1981 tOSU game when we came back to upset them in one of the best games ever and this year I've bought 12 tickets to bring my family to tOSU game on September 2nd.

Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

PS. The campus is looking great these days...

Hello all,
I'm excited to join a place with Gopher fans that are so passionate. I was born in St. Paul and grew up loving the Gophers and had season tickets with my dad for about 10 years. Moved out of the cities area when I was young but the love for the Gophers never stopped. My favorite game (besides pretty much any game in 2019) was the Iowa game in 2014. Looking forward to an awesome season. Go Gophers!

Welcome!! That Iowa game was fantastic.

I've lived in New York City for the past 25 years and have followed Gopherhole regularly since its inception, but have only posted once (now twice). I graduated in '90 from the U and loved every minute of it, especially the greek system and football, hockey and basketball games. We had some great teams. The only thing I ever asked for my birthday and Christmas growing up were gopher football and hockey tickets....saw so many great games with my Mom and Dad (both alumni) and my friends.

Almost 40 years ago, my dad and I were at the 1981 tOSU game when we came back to upset them in one of the best games ever and this year I've bought 12 tickets to bring my family to tOSU game on September 2nd.

Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

PS. The campus is looking great these days...

Thanks for posting, hopefully you'll post more often going forward. That Ohio State win in 1981 was one of the most unlikely wins in decades for the Gophers. Great times.

Fan, Alumni, Marching Band member 1967 - 1970. Season ticket holder 1971 - 1980, 1984 to present. Favorite game: Gophers beat #1 Michigan 16 - 0 in 1977. (2nd would be Minnesota vs. Iowa 1960, followed by Minnesota vs. Penn State 2019)

I was at that 1977, Michigan game too.

Hang in there when we get some trolls on here. They may act like Gopher fans but they are on a mission for selfish reasons as they are worried about the program growing in a great way here in Minnesota. By the way, welcome Dragon21!
Thank you #2Gopher

Yes, and my family has connected with his mom and dad on Facebook. We’re all becoming good acquaintances. I actually live in Keller not far from Carroll. Got to see your grandson play a few times last year.
Hopefully he played well when you saw him. What school did your nephew attend ?

Ah yes...thanks for reminding me these things are not intuitive.
Pronounced: Sky U Mah

The legend is that early in the Universities football program a young man took the Dakotah Indian battle cry, Ski (pron sky) and added it to University of Minnesota. Thus you get the phrase "Ski-U-Mah" as the battle cry of the University of Minnesota. You will hear it in our fight song as well.
After touchdowns and at other points of a game you will hear the song and see all fans standing and singing loud and proud.
Ski-U-Mah!!!
Welcome to the Gopher Hole.

Top Bottom