TransPerfect Music City Bowl​

Thursday, December 30
ESPN, 3:00 pm
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
Bowl Tie-Ins: Big Ten vs. SEC
Bowl Projection: Minnesota vs Tennessee
Last Year: Canceled

Go Gophers!!

They should say what final record they are basing this on.

CBS has Purdue going to the Outback. Essentially their bowl ranking would be saying Minnesota will finish below Iowa, Purdue and Wisconsin in the West this year. Not a very flattering projection by ESPN or CBS Sports, especially given our current record and upcoming schedule compared to Purdue and Wisconsin.

Remember, this is a snapshot.

Purdue had just beaten Iowa (pretty badly) and the Gophers still have the Bowling Green stench to wash off.

CBS has Purdue going to the Outback. Essentially their bowl ranking would be saying Minnesota will finish below Iowa, Purdue and Wisconsin in the West this year. Not a very flattering projection by ESPN or CBS Sports, especially given our current record and upcoming schedule compared to Purdue and Wisconsin.

This will only make it that much sweeter if we take advantage of our opportunity, and prove them wrong.

let's just be happy its not detroilet.

Let's set up some hypothetical endings to the season, and predict a bowl destination to fit each one. Note: I realize that these are all pretty optimistic. Hope that doesn't offend anyone.

1) Gophers win out, win the West, and upset the East Champ in Indianapolis to win the B1G.

2) Gophers win out, win the West, and lose to the East Champ in Indianapolis.

3) Gophers finish with one more regular season loss, but win the West, and upset the East Champ to win the B1G.

4) Gophers finish with one more regular season loss, but win the West, and lose to the East Champ in Indianapolis.

5) Gophers win every remaining regular season game, with the lone exception being a loss at Iowa City, and finish second in the West at 9-3.

Madison Leader Gazette chimes in:

Thursday, Dec. 30
ESPN, 3 p.m. EST
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tennessee
Bowl Projection: Minnesota vs. Florida

Go Gophers!!

Thursday, Dec. 30
ESPN, 3 p.m. EST

Go Gophers!!
This one has Nebraska in the Quick Lane Bowl. Wonder where they see 3 more wins on Nebraska's schedule.

Let's set up some hypothetical endings to the season, and predict a bowl destination to fit each one. Note: I realize that these are all pretty optimistic. Hope that doesn't offend anyone.

1) Gophers win out, win the West, and upset the East Champ in Indianapolis to win the B1G. (ROSE BOWL)

2) Gophers win out, win the West, and lose to the East Champ in Indianapolis. (Citrus, Music City or Vegas)

3) Gophers finish with one more regular season loss, but win the West, and upset the East Champ to win the B1G. (ROSE BOWL)

4) Gophers finish with one more regular season loss, but win the West, and lose to the East Champ in Indianapolis. (Citrus, Music City or Vegas)

5) Gophers win every remaining regular season game, with the lone exception being a loss at Iowa City, and finish second in the West at 9-3. (Music City or Vegas)

1) Gophers win out, win the West, and upset the East Champ in Indianapolis to win the B1G.

3) Gophers finish with one more regular season loss, but win the West, and upset the East Champ to win the B1G.

4) Gophers finish with one more regular season loss, but win the West, and lose to the East Champ in Indianapolis.

5) Gophers win every remaining regular season game, with the lone exception being a loss at Iowa City, and finish second in the West at 9-3.
  1. Rose
  2. Citrus or at-large NYD6
  3. Rose
  4. Vegas
  5. Music City
Fun exercise btw... And I have zero problem with optimism lol! It was brutal looking at these bowl projections after the BG game, ugh.

Could the Gophers win out and be the first team to lose to Bowling Green and qualify for the CFPin the same season?

I was at the Music City Bowl when we beat Alabama (Shula coaching Al.). Wow! What a great time - as I remember it. Stayed in the hotel right be the bridge, parked my car Thursday night in the ramp and never moved it again until Sunday. Perfect accommodations. Would go back on a heart beat.

Bulletin board material!!

Thursday, Dec. 30
ESPN, 3 p.m. EST

Go Gophers!!

This would be a really fun matchup if things were to fall in a way where the Gophers didn't win the West.

I think the Big Ten just wants to match up the Gophers with an SEC team because they know we will go in there and kick their ass!!!

Good defense and a run oriented offense shows well against the SEC. Even in a lopsided talent matchup.....certain Big Ten teams could make a decent game. Don't want to get into a horse race.

Would be interesting to see how this would work out.

3-loss Gophers, could easily be ranked behind a 1-loss Michigan team that lost to Ohio State and thus didn't go to Indy, for example.

Could even, quite possibly, be ranked outside the top 12.

And so, the Rose Bowl might not even be able to select them.

Bowling Green loss would be the thing that cost it, pretty much, in this case.

Also interesting.

Would the committee be able to keep the 2-loss Gophers out of the playoff? Especially if, for example, they avenged the first week loss to Ohio State, in Indy, and looked damn good doing it?

Again, the damn Bowling Green loss.

That said, I'd almost rather go to the Rose Bowl in this case, and win it, then have to face Alabama or Georgia as the #4 seed.

Top Bottom