Week 2 Other Games Thread

Everyone has written the Gophers off because of the tough schedule.

But at least one contender looks like a paper Tiger (Illinois), and two dark horses have already taken losses (Purdon’t and NebrASSka). What if this is another 2019 type season where the Gophers wobble but win out of the gate and catch fire?

I’m always optimistic until the team dictates otherwise. I was worried about the rise of Illinois last year but it may be starting to look like Bielema’s tenure there could end up looking like his work at Arkansas, with a few dozen more pounds as an exclamation point.
Atz. E

Targeting to the midsection? Isn't that called tackling?
I wasn''t watching that intently. Saw the play and thought "clean hard hit." Didn't realize it was reviewed and Booker was tossed. It seems that the refs allow DBs to pound defenseless receivers, but if anyone gets near the QB, they earn a flag for breathing too hard on him.

I wasn''t watching that intently. Saw the play and thought "clean hard hit." Didn't realize it was reviewed and Booker was tossed. It seems that the refs allow DBs to pound defenseless receivers, but if anyone gets near the QB, they earn a flag for breathing too hard on him.
It ruined the nfl so why not do the same thing to the college game.

Do we have the athletes Toledo has, they also moved the ball and put up points.
Jackson, Crooms, Spencer, Brockington are athletic. See how Crab is when he gets back, but healthy he can cut and go get the ball. Hoskins has some juice.

BSF is a very athletic TE.

Tyler, Taylor, Evans are athletic.

Kaliakmanis can move well.

O-line needs to gel and Harbaugh and Kali need to find their rhythm. Offense will be potent.

The Kansas QB and RB are 🔥🔥🔥. I mean WOW.

We have not had a shifty speed RB like him since ?????

We just put up 10 points against Nebraska.
It’s one game and it was 13, but anyway, wouldn’t be surprised if Nebraska’s defense is better than Illinois’, they haven’t looked great on either side of the ball.

Smash mouth vs open things up and ILL was not in the game until they turned their QB loose.

It’s one game and it was 13, but anyway, wouldn’t be surprised if Nebraska’s defense is better than Illinois’, they haven’t looked great on either side of the ball.
Agreed. It seemed to me that Nebraska had some dudes on defense. I am really looking forward to seeing how they do against CU today. That will tell us much about our own offense.

It ruined the nfl so why not do the same thing to the college game.
I am way old and was not very good at football, but I can remember drills where we practiced half-speed form tackling where you would drive your shoulder into the other player's midsection and basically pick them up and put them on the ground. Obviously, Booker is much quicker, faster, and stronger than I could have been (or ever was) in my dreams, but what I saw last night was a pretty solid representation of a form tackle delivered within a segment of time that was appropriate. It was a hard hit, but it wasnt above the shoulders or outside the time frame in which roughing could be the call.

Contrast that with the review that ended up in a non-call against a Georgia DB in last year's semi-finals that knocked Harrison out of the game, when a Georgia player led with his head against Harrison's head. That was targeting (at least to me), but I guess if the player is a WR and not a QB, it's no big deal.

Gunna be watching Nebraska v Colorado closely here...May help us figure out where we stand a little better.

Gunna be watching Nebraska v Colorado closely here...May help us figure out where we stand a little better.
I would not be surprised if it’s a close game. I don’t think Colorado’s win over TCU is as impressive as some are making it out to be.

Georgia lucky they’re playing a cupcake (again) or they could get punished for playing like Garbage

How do you define the concept, "open things up"?

Kaliakmanis attempted 44 passes vs Nebraska. That is 'opened up', in my book. The result was 13 points.
AK was below average. Missed a few and threw into coverage a few times. Also had some dropped.

To really define "opening things up" we need to wait for a day when 44 passes are called and AK is sharp.

I am way old and was not very good at football, but I can remember drills where we practiced half-speed form tackling where you would drive your shoulder into the other player's midsection and basically pick them up and put them on the ground. Obviously, Booker is much quicker, faster, and stronger than I could have been (or ever was) in my dreams, but what I saw last night was a pretty solid representation of a form tackle delivered within a segment of time that was appropriate. It was a hard hit, but it wasnt above the shoulders or outside the time frame in which roughing could be the call.

Contrast that with the review that ended up in a non-call against a Georgia DB in last year's semi-finals that knocked Harrison out of the game, when a Georgia player led with his head against Harrison's head. That was targeting (at least to me), but I guess if the player is a WR and not a QB, it's no big deal.
I hated that drill

Lotta defense and penalties in this Nebraska - Colorado game at the end of 1st.

It really did
I hated that drill
It pretty much sucked. Like I said, I wasn't very good and I was pretty scrawny, so I hated getting paired up with one of the better players who was actually good and thought the definition of half-speed was "pedal to the metal."

Top Bottom