Week 2 Other Games Thread

The question for me is how did Nebraska--with such a storied history--get so bad so fast under Frost. I suppose his supporters are going to cite all the one-score losses, but I don't think that can be attributed all to bad luck. My impression the last couple of years is that he's trying to do too much in the transfer portal and is just throwing crap at the wall without having a cohesive plan how to employ the talent.

I used to have a lot of respect for Nebraska. I'm old, so I go all the way back to when Bob Devaney was head coach and was then followed by Tom Osborne. For all his foibles when it came to looking the other way when his guys messed up off the field, Osborne is arguably in the conversation for the best coach in the history of college football. Since he left, it's been a bit of a mess. What makes me laugh is that Nebraska fans would kill for the success they enjoyed under Solich and Pelini instead of what they have had with Frost. I liked Frost as a player, but he really grates on me as a coach.
It really seems that Scott Frost and/or his assistants are unable to make in game adjustments or even at halftime. The defense had no answer to stop the GSU offense. They just keep trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole. They have some athletes, just not the correct game plan.

Another example is how he said they lost to Illinois last year because Illinois defense lined up differently than what they expected.

Last edited:

The question for me is how did Nebraska--with such a storied history--get so bad so fast under Frost. I suppose his supporters are going to cite all the one-score losses, but I don't think that can be attributed all to bad luck. My impression the last couple of years is that he's trying to do too much in the transfer portal and is just throwing crap at the wall without having a cohesive plan how to employ the talent.

I used to have a lot of respect for Nebraska. I'm old, so I go all the way back to when Bob Devaney was head coach and was then followed by Tom Osborne. For all his foibles when it came to looking the other way when his guys messed up off the field, Osborne is arguably in the conversation for the best coach in the history of college football. Since he left, it's been a bit of a mess. What makes me laugh is that Nebraska fans would kill for the success they enjoyed under Solich and Pelini instead of what they have had with Frost. I liked Frost as a player, but he really grates on me as a coach.
Tom Osborne lol. A cheating scumbag.

Nebraska twitter has been a little bit more tolerable this year because they finally stopped calling Fleck a used car salesman when they realized they had a used car salesman for a coach.
I think calling Scott Frost a used car salesman is an insult to used car salesmen. I would consider him more of a Bernie Madof, frauded Nebraska out of millions.

Those teams can not lose to the teams they played. Not to mention it will cost Wisconsin in the ranking so nothing long term good came from those losses. Unlike the NFL that loves to promote close games. College football can not promote 38 point underdogs winning.

Plus it was some sarcasm.
Are you kidding?
Underdogs winning is literally what makes college football worth watching

Nebraska’s much-maligned offense isn’t the problem. It has been productive, including 575 yards today. The problem, as in the NW game is an inconsistent defense without depth a key positions: defense gave up 642 yards to GA Southern. Nebby can stop the run OK but can’t stop the pass. Note to KC.
GSU ran for 230 yards. NW ran pretty well.

I don’t think Kevin Warren is happy about those loses yesterday.

Yes as a fan of a team that did not lose it was amazing.
I don’t think Kevin warren is happy about the losses.
I also don’t think cbs is second guessing their choices because of the losses

I never go to opposing teams' fan boards, but does anyone who does give me an update on the mood on the Huskers' and Badgers' boards.

Nebraska gave up 233 yards on 30 carries. 7.8/rush…to Georgia southern.
Nebraska also gave up over 400 yards in passing to GAS, all during regulation time. GAS has a very productive, speedy offense and a good head coach (Helton)--and I am very happy for our Georgia GopherHole friend, Talon. But the Nebraska defense, despite having some very talented individuals (Nebraska safety Burton had two INTs, or this game could have gotten out of hand), just doesn't seem to have to cohesion, communication and coordination needed to be successful. Given the individual talent on the roster, this falls on coaching.

Nebraska also gave up over 400 yards in passing to GAS, all during regulation time. GAS has a very productive, speedy offense and a good head coach (Helton)--and I am very happy for our Georgia GopherHole friend, Talon. But the Nebraska defense, despite having some very talented individuals (Nebraska safety Burton had two INTs, or this game could have gotten out of hand), just doesn't seem to have to cohesion, communication and coordination needed to be successful. Given the individual talent on the roster, this falls on coaching.

Nebby's front seven on defense is lost. I hope they stay lost.

I never go to opposing teams' fan boards, but does anyone who does give me an update on the mood on the Huskers' and Badgers' boards.

I happened on a Wisconsin board for a bit of schadenfreude and Buckyville is in mourning; biding their time until Leonhard succeeds Chryst. The whispers I’m hearing from learned observers is their defense has taken a step back this year, and the offense is still clunky and oh, special teams are struggling. Mertz wasn’t the problem yesterday.

Might have been one of those games, but it might foretell an average year. Wisconsin has relied on their suffocating defense for years. Wisconsin fans seem to be full of fear, uncertainty, doubt. I’m sure some of the resident Badgers can chime in.

Nebraska I can only guess. Rock bottom.

Nebraska fans are livid and/or desperate. Pre-season, the expectation on the Nebraska board was that the Huskers--with all their new, high-end transfers starting--would cruise into game #4, vs. Oklahoma, with a 3-0 record and a decent chance to take down the Sooners. Needless to say, the "blush is off the rose." Lots of talk about firing new AD, Trev Alberts, along with HC Frost and hapless DC Chinander. Frost's firing is now a foregone, and a fervently desired, conclusion on the Nebby board; only issue is timing because of current $15M buyout amount.

Who cares what makes Kevin Warren happy. Dude just makes decisions to line his pockets.
My overarching point with some sarcasm was that Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa losing to teams that are worse than them hurts the overall look of the big ten. That is a problem the nfl does not have that as the shield is always protected.

Chryst has a plan to work it out

“I do have confidence in our defense. You know, and I thought that, you’re in a position where if you feel good, too, and you want — offensively, you know, you just got to deliver. And I know a lot of it is result driven, right?” Paul Chryst said. “You go and — but, you know, I think that was the thought. I still do feel confident with our defense, certainly. And you want to put it on the offense. You know, this is — you got to go do something, too.”

Chryst has a plan to work it out

“I do have confidence in our defense. You know, and I thought that, you’re in a position where if you feel good, too, and you want — offensively, you know, you just got to deliver. And I know a lot of it is result driven, right?” Paul Chryst said. “You go and — but, you know, I think that was the thought. I still do feel confident with our defense, certainly. And you want to put it on the offense. You know, this is — you got to go do something, too.”
Chrystal clear.

Nebraska fans are livid and/or desperate. Pre-season, the expectation on the Nebraska board was that the Huskers--with all their new, high-end transfers starting--would cruise into game #4, vs. Oklahoma, with a 3-0 record and a decent chance to take down the Sooners. Needless to say, the "blush is off the rose." Lots of talk about firing new AD, Trev Alberts, along with HC Frost and hapless DC Chinander. Frost's firing is now a foregone, and a fervently desired, conclusion on the Nebby board; only issue is timing because of current $15M buyout amount.

I can only guess at the despair when a chosen son, successful as a coordinator at power 5 Oregon that made a 2014 national championship appearance, very successful as a head coach at prior stop Central Florida AND maybe the best remaining link to the glory days and coaches of Nebraska football crashes and burns in spectacular fashion with absolutely no sign of improvement on the horizon. Where do you go from there? Take a flyer on some unproven 36 year old coordinator?

I can only guess at the despair when a chosen son, successful as a coordinator at power 5 Oregon that made a 2014 national championship appearance, very successful as a head coach at prior stop Central Florida AND maybe the best remaining link to the glory days and coaches of Nebraska football crashes and burns in spectacular fashion with absolutely no sign of improvement on the horizon. Where do you go from there? Take a flyer on some unproven 36 year old coordinator?
The Huskers Board has a lot of folks pumping for Urban Meyer. A lot of other top names are on posters’ wish lists.

Top Bottom