Nebraska at Northwestern
Wyoming at Illinois
Vandy at Hawaii
Nevada at New Mexico State for Kill's debut
UCONN at Utah State
Fla A&M at UNC
Duquesne at Fla St
Etc.

It's always weird to me to have Big Ten games in August.

It's always weird to me to have Big Ten games in August.

With the waning popularity of MLB, and their playoff expansion diminishing interest in the last 1/4 of the season, August is the new frontier for college football.

Per Conlin:

It’s the first week of the college football season, which means it’s time to dive into college football betting odds and select some of the best bets from the Week 0 slate of games. I’m picking Power 5 teams over a pair of Group of 5 teams this week – something I’ll likely avoid in this weekly series the rest of the season – but a small schedule of games makes it tough to share five bets if I’m forced to back the Group of 5.

Let’s jump into it.

New Mexico State +8.5 against Nevada

I’m banking on Nevada taking a significant step backward in 2022, with the Wolfpack +8000 to win the Mountain West at BetMGM. Replacing head coach Jay Norvell and starting quarterback Carson Strong is a big ask, and Nevada may fall short of bowl eligibility. That doesn’t mean New Mexico State is much better, but with Jerry Kill as the program’s new head coach, I believe a basic level of competence is achievable. High praise, I know, but it’s enough for me this week.

Vanderbilt -9.5 at Hawaii

A potential pillow fight in Honolulu! Hawaii had an offseason filled with dysfunction – blame former head coach Todd Graham – while Vanderbilt is an SEC punching bag. I don’t love Vanderbilt’s team, but the Commodores return eight defensive starters for new defensive coordinator Nick Howell, as well as some talent on offense. Starting quarterback Mike White has shown promise, and I’m eager to see him lead Vanderbilt in 2022. Give me the Commodores, even with the line moving a few points since early in the week.

North Texas at UTEP under 54.5

These two teams met last season, with North Texas winning 20-17. Expect another competitive showdown this year, with the Mean Green a 1-point betting favorite. I’m not expecting either offense to have a superb day. I like each team’s defense – KD Davis (North Texas) and Praise Amaewhule (UTEP) are two of the best individual defenders in C-USA – and I expect some Week 0 rust offensively, so I’ll gladly take the under.

North Texas -1 at UTEP

While the atmosphere in the Sun Bowl could be electric, North Texas boasts a deep running back room and has experience along the offensive line and at quarterback with Austin Aune. That group should create just enough offense in a game I see going under the point total. After winning five of its last six games in 2021, I like the Mean Green to start off 2022 with a win.

Illinois -13 vs. Wyoming

Wyoming was hit hard by offseason transfers, while the Fighting Illini seem poised for success entering Year No. 2 under Bret Bielema. This line was -10 earlier in the week, illustrating the importance of timing when placing bets. Regardless, I’ll still take Illinois at -13 with Syracuse transfer Tommy Devito at quarterback, a deep running back room, and impressive size up front. Illinois looked decent defensively in 2021, and I’m expecting improvement in 2022. It doesn’t hurt that the Fighting Illini showed out in Week 0 last year, beating Nebraska as an underdog.

Go Gophers!!

Is this a pick 'em? If so, here's mine. If not, then they are not mine. They are someone else's.....

Nebraska at Northwestern
Wyoming at Illinois
Vandy
at Hawaii
Nevada at New Mexico State for Kill's debut
UCONN at Utah State
Fla A&M at UNC
Duquesne
at Fla St

Either Nebraska and Northwestern will end their losing streak, both at 6 games.

Nebraska OL keeping Thompson clean so far, which has made a huge difference. I'm somewhat surprised by that, but I don't think NW has any notable pass rushers either. Hilinski also looks surprisingly good so far which has NW hanging tough. I'm so pumped that football is back!

Anyone watch College Gameday this morning? Love Lee Corso....but it might be time to retire the guy. He was having a tough time talking when they cut to him.

Anyone watch College Gameday this morning? Love Lee Corso....but it might be time to retire the guy. He was having a tough time talking when they cut to him.
+o4, he is ready for the pasture. maybe just have him do mascot head.

+o4, he is ready for the pasture. maybe just have him do mascot head.

Let him do picks and the mascot head....but it's pretty clear that they can't cut to him for more than a minute or two.

On one hand......screw Nebraska. Should have helped us get to the BTCG last year had they not fallen apart. On the other hand........I think it's in our best interest if they retain Frost.

Wyoming runs a sweep to the short side on 3rd and goal from the 7…this will surprise you: they did not score

Jim Mora brought some talent to UConn. About to go up two scores on Utah State.

Edit....touchdown. Up 14-0.

Yup. I was thinking the same. I mean, my dad is 83 and still going hard, I hope to be active in my 80s someday, and Lee is a legend, but he's truly struggling.

Love the quick reviews change. Obvious changes shouldn’t require a long stoppage.

Reactions: Go4

Anyone know if teams that play in week 0 get to start fall practice earlier than those that don’t?

Imagine being a New Mexico State Fan. “Hey! Our game is on ESPN2 tonight. I can hardly wait to hear the announcers and listen to a broadcast just like the SEC and B1G get!”

And then the broadcast starts late because the high school game that precedes it is running late.

Nevada is expected to be middle of the pack in the Mountain West but New Mexico St doesn't look too bad so far.

If I recall, when the Gophers were battling the Aggies on Aggievision, their field was natural grass. Looks like it is turf now.

Top Bottom