WEBER: Nice piece by Phil

JOHN4254

Reaction score
Phil Miller just posted a nice piece on Adam Weber on the Strib's Gridiron Gold blog:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

For those of you, too tired from the week's travails to click on the link, here it is:

Forget Weber's shoulder -- he has

Posted by Phil Miller

Last update: July 23, 2010 - 4:35 PM

I wrote a story for tomorrow’s paper about Adam
Weber and his weekend at the Mannings’ quarterback academy a couple of weeks ago, which is one reason the Gophers’ captain feels increasingly confident about his senior season. But he mentioned one other reason for optimism: His health.
“I lost some confidence last year because I didn’t like how my body felt,” Weber said. “I wouldn’t say there were many games where I felt completely comfortable.”
That’s because he underwent surgery on his left shoulder shortly after his sophomore season. And while it wasn’t his throwing shoulder, and it wasn’t especially painful, the recovery cost him valuable workout time, meaning he wasn't in as good physical shape as he planned or wanted.
“I wasn’t thinking about it, but I wasn't feeling like I normally do,” Weber said. “There are times when you get into a zone on offense, and I didn’t have many of those last year. Whether it was because I wasn’t being completely confident about my shoulder or conditioning or whatever, that got frustrating.”
A year later, he’s in even better shape, Weber said, and the shoulder is no longer even an inkling when he’s behind center. “I’ve never been so ready to go,” he said.

Nice to see a story with some insight on the subject matter, and some inside information from the guy who will lead us to a better season this year. Let me repeat, I am predicting that Adam Weber will have a big year and silence all of his critics.

WEBER: Two nice pieces by Phil.

Another nice Weber piece by Phil posted at 11:47 p.m. Link:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/99151684.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Don't move that finger:

loomGophers quarterback Adam Weber, shown calling signals during the spring game in April, worked at Peyton Manning’s quarterbacking academy for the second consecutive year and came away with an appreciation of how time flies. “Every single thing I do this summer, I’m going to try to kill it,’’ the senior captain said. “I’m taking it an extra notch from anything I did in the past.”

Plan of attack: Do all you can do

Gophers QB Adam Weber asked a specific question, then came to his own general conclusion about the coming season.

By PHIL MILLER, Star Tribune

Last update: July 23, 2010 - 11:47 PM

For all the insights and advice that Peyton Manning provided at his quarterbacking academy earlier this month, it was the question he couldn't answer that made Adam Weber's eyes grow large as he recounted the story.

Weber will open fall drills for the Gophers on Aug. 6, triggering the fourth different offense since he arrived in Minneapolis in 2006. And while the senior quarterback is careful not to use the shuffling of offensive coordinators as an excuse for his up-and-down career, he admits that he's mildly jealous of quarterbacks who run the same offense from their freshman year to graduation.

So he asked Manning for advice "on establishing a winning mentality about going through all the changes," Weber said. And the four-time NFL Most Valuable Player's reply surprised him.

"He said, 'I wish I could help you, but I really don't know,'"Weber said. "He said, 'For 13 years, I've been in the same offense.'"

The Gophers' captain shook his head in amazement as he told the story, but he said he took a lesson from Manning's answer anyway -- that you can't control your circumstances, you can only control your play.

"I said, 'That must be nice,' but you know, he's not Peyton Manning because he's run the same offense," Weber said. "It's because of the work he puts in. And that's exactly it for me -- the offense isn't what's important, it's what we make of it. I don't have any more years. This is it. So every single thing I do this summer, I'm going to try to kill it. I'm taking it an extra notch from anything I did in the past."

If it sounds more like Weber is back from a religious revival than a football camp, well, the Manning academy has that effect on quarterbacks. For four days, Weber spent hours helping to tutor some of the 1,060 high school players who spent thousands of dollars to be in Thibodaux, La. And at the end of each day, he and the other two dozen college quarterbacks/counselors got a little workout of their own, under the guidance of Archie, Eli and Peyton Manning, and a dozen other college and NFL coaches.

Weber made a positive impression, and ESPN's NFL correspondent Chris Mortensen even mentioned the Gophers quarterback as one of the camp's "few surprise good throwers" in a Twitter message.

Funny thing, though -- the help that Weber especially values came from his peers. Weber also worked at last year's camp, and found that his fellow college quarterbacks offered the most relevant insights.

"All these guys, we're all going through the same things. And I was blown away by what a great group of guys it was," Weber said. "We were talking about how you react to this defense, what to look for in that situation -- it's like a collective of the mind. It was pretty cool."

Pretty lasting, too. Weber heard from several of his fellow campers throughout the season -- "I couldn't believe how many of those guys had watched a Minnesota game," he said -- and texted them back after watching their games, too. Reactions, congratulations, advice and consolation -- it became a community sounding board.

Weber's roommate on the Nicholls State campus this year was Jeff Tuel, a sophomore who gives Weber a particular interest in Washington State football this year.

"He's a great kid who got to start as a redshirt freshman, just like I did," Weber said, "so I was able to tell him that you won't believe when you look at the tapes a year or two from now how much you will have improved."

Could he have as good a season as Weber's camp roommate from last year? Um, probably not.

"I roomed with Greg McElroy last year, so I was excited to watch him" lead Alabama to the national championship in January, Weber said. When the quarterbacks convened again in July, they were chatting about watching each other's games -- which seemed a little absurd in McElroy's case.

"Yes, Greg, we watched you play," Weber smirked as he recalled the conversation. "I think a few people were watching the championship game."

Very nice, Phil. Welcome abord.

Who is this Phil Miller? And why does he write articles about the Gophers without continual snide little cuts about the program, the athetes and the coaches? Just who does he think he is??

Who is this Phil Miller? And why does he write articles about the Gophers without continual snide little cuts about the program, the athetes and the coaches? Just who does he think he is??

Pay attention Darren. You CAN write an informative piece without taking cheap shots.

Very refreshing after years of Soupcan and the fat one spewing nothing remotely good about the U.

Snide sarcasm in every column buys them credibility with the other "professionals" in the media and non-committed part of the sporting public. There are plenty of times the U teams have deserved a shot. Columnists and beat writers would be more credible in my opinion if they didn't always seem to have an agenda.

So far so good with Phil.

My chance to say this

WE NEED to rally behind Webber, he deserves it.

Weber is going to have a very good year. He will be one of the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten this year.

Thanks guys for your very positive posts...

Phil Miller, Adam Weber, and the entire Gopher football team deserve our support and encouragement.

GO GOPHERS!

Phil Miller, Adam Weber, and the entire Gopher football team deserve our support and encouragement.

GO GOPHERS!

Agreed, I really hope Weber kills it this fall. I thought he was a huge talent out of highschool and I would love to see that translate onto the field....finally. Also am very excited to read more of Miller's articles, almost smiled as I read his piece because he found and wrote a positive story about the Gophs for a change.

Any press coverage

Is great. Phil seems to use the blog as well. And finally the Star Tribune got a photo and an update on line. It would seem to me that Phil has done in a week what Kent took about 6 months to do. Hopefully, Phil will gain further access to the coaches, and players. He probably has the energy and enthusiasm to get it done.

Thanks, Phil!

I think Weber will not throw an incomplete pass this year. He probably will not be sacked once this year and will throw many touchdowns.

O.K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold04 View Post
I think Weber will not throw an incomplete pass this year. He probably will not be sacked once this year and will throw many touchdowns.

I totally agree!

Are you guys O.K? Should I call 911? :)

Like hell, I want a whole case of whatever they are using.

I don't care that it was a positive article. I'm really happy that there now seems to be a guy on the beat that appears to be informed. If they deserve to be ripped...rip them. But now is the time for information, and Phil has provided it in greater quantities than Kent did in the past 2 years.

The true essence of Adam Weber

I stated emphatically earlier in this thread that I thought Adam Weber was going to have a big year and silence his critics. This is why I feel so strongly about making such a bold prediction. Adam Weber has always been a leader and a winner throughout his football career. At the beginning of his freshman year at Mounds View High School in the very strong Suburban East Conference, Adam Weber, not an upperclassman, became the surprise starting quarterback when the senior starter was injured in preseason practice. He led Mounds View to four consecutive winning seasons in a league where freshmen simply do not start at quarterback. He was redshirted in his first year at the University, and then was asked to learn and execute the complex spread offense in coach Tim Brewster's first year at the helm. He threw for 2895 yards and 24 touchdowns on a horrible team that gave up a record number of points. In his second season, he threw for 2761 yards, 15 touchdowns and led his team to seven wins in the regular season with no running attack to speak of. Last year came the Fisch Fiasco, a new complex offense, a new throwing motion ordered by the Fisch, no running attack whatsoever, and an offensive line that almost resulted in young Adam's premature death. Admittedly, he had a mediocre year throwing the ball, not entirely his fault, but he never complained about the multitude of crosses that he had to bear.

Now approaching his senior season, Phil Miller wrote the above interviews on the same day providing us with some very significant insight into the leadership qualities and determination of young Adam. The following quote from the second interview above, provides us with the very essence of Adam Weber since he was shoved into a starting role as a freshman in high school:

"I said, 'That must be nice,' but you know, he's not Peyton Manning because he's run the same offense," Weber said. "It's because of the work he puts in. And that's exactly it for me -- the offense isn't what's important, it's what we make of it. I don't have any more years. This is it. So every single thing I do this summer, I'm going to try to kill it. I'm taking it an extra notch from anything I did in the past."

There it is. No complaining, no foot shuffling, no excuses, no BS, simply determination to work harder, to improve himself, and to lead his team to a winning season, no matter what the offense is. "The offense isn't important, it's what we make of it." Life is what we make of it, no matter the circumstances, no matter the difficulties, no matter the setbacks, no matter the handicaps, life is what we make of it and we are responsible for making it happen. That is why I think Adam Weber is going to have a great senior year.

GO ADAM! GO GOPHERS!

I stated emphatically earlier in this thread that I thought Adam Weber was going to have a big year and silence his critics. This is why I feel so strongly about making such a bold prediction. Adam Weber has always been a leader and a winner throughout his football career. At the beginning of his freshman year at Mounds View High School in the very strong Suburban East Conference, Adam Weber, not an upperclassman, became the surprise starting quarterback when the senior starter was injured in preseason practice. He led Mounds View to four consecutive winning seasons in a league where freshmen simply do not start at quarterback. He was redshirted in his first year at the University, and then was asked to learn and execute the complex spread offense in coach Tim Brewster's first year at the helm. He threw for 2895 yards and 24 touchdowns on a horrible team that gave up a record number of points. In his second season, he threw for 2761 yards, 15 touchdowns and led his team to seven wins in the regular season with no running attack to speak of. Last year came the Fisch Fiasco, a new complex offense, a new throwing motion ordered by the Fisch, no running attack whatsoever, and an offensive line that almost resulted in young Adam's premature death. Admittedly, he had a mediocre year throwing the ball, not entirely his fault, but he never complained about the multitude of crosses that he had to bear.

Now approaching his senior season, Phil Miller wrote the above interviews on the same day providing us with some very significant insight into the leadership qualities and determination of young Adam. The following quote from the second interview above, provides us with the very essence of Adam Weber since he was shoved into a starting role as a freshman in high school:

There it is. No complaining, no foot shuffling, no excuses, no BS, simply determination to work harder, to improve himself, and to lead his team to a winning season, no matter what the offense is. "The offense isn't important, it's what we make of it." Life is what we make of it, no matter the circumstances, no matter the difficulties, no matter the setbacks, no matter the handicaps, life is what we make of it and we are responsible for making it happen. That is why I think Adam Weber is going to have a great senior year.

GO ADAM! GO GOPHERS!

EOS End Of Story...well put John.

Adam Weber has been a class act and represents the UM well. Being elected captain for the third consecutive season is a testimony how his teammates value Adam's leadership. No other Gopher has ever been captain for three years. It would be great to see him excel this season and possibly get some looks from the NFL.

It's interesting how people are now getting behind Weber again. Last year everyone was screaming to start Gray. I for one think that Gray may not fullfill his role as the U's quarterback of the future. I think Moses will be the quarterback of the future. He's big, strong, and has a great arm. The U probably has more depth at quarterback right now then any team in the Big Ten. Who would have thought we'd be able to say that one day.

I'm a MV alum so have been more of a Weber apologist than most. Admittedly, the bounce passes and a couple of interceptions (Illinois especially) were some major headshake moments. It will be interesting to see him operate in an offense style that should be somewhat consistent and more execution focused. I like him having the option to run now and then. Last year there were many times when you could see he wanted to and would have made decent yards but he didn't. Receivers zigging when the should be zagging, confusion on what the play was going to be, penalties, trick plays that tricked us.. glad Fisch is gone and wish him the best in NFL.

Pay attention Darren. You CAN write an informative piece without taking cheap shots.

Big difference: Phil, who I know well, and will do tremendous work, is a beat writer. I am not.

Big difference: Phil, who I know well, and will do tremendous work, is a beat writer. I am not.

Forgive my naivete, Doogie, if that's what it is, but are you saying that being a columnist requires you to be snide and take cheap shots? Or are you just saying that being a beat writer means you have to be nice to the team to keep your body intact and avoid physical mayhem?

Doogie?

Doogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section2 View Post

So, Doogie, what is your take on my analysis of the Weber persona and his prospects for a great season?

Reading the article, I couldn't help but start thinking about Weber's future. I find it easy to cheer for a guy like Weber considering how he carries himself, and for the other reasons folks have outlined in this thread. As a fan, his play is sometimes maddening, but I'm really pulling for him this year.

What do we think Weber's future looks like after college? At best, he seems to be a fringe professional QB or maybe a Arena-caliber guy. In my opinion, he's clearly a better pure QB that Cupito was when he finished his Gopher career. With Weber's level of experience and considering the opportunities he's had to pick the brains of some other college and professional quarterbacks, I have to wonder if he'd consider coaching down the line. Either way, Weber seems to be a fantastic ambassador for the 'U,' and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Reading the article, I couldn't help but start thinking about Weber's future. I find it easy to cheer for a guy like Weber considering how he carries himself, and for the other reasons folks have outlined in this thread. As a fan, his play is sometimes maddening, but I'm really pulling for him this year.

What do we think Weber's future looks like after college? At best, he seems to be a fringe professional QB or maybe a Arena-caliber guy. In my opinion, he's clearly a better pure QB that Cupito was when he finished his Gopher career. With Weber's level of experience and considering the opportunities he's had to pick the brains of some other college and professional quarterbacks, I have to wonder if he'd consider coaching down the line. Either way, Weber seems to be a fantastic ambassador for the 'U,' and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I bet the plan is simple. Give the next level a go, and if that looks like a nowhere road head back to school and get on with it. I would be surprised if Weber heads down the coaching road or settles in a workman role anywhere for low money.

Forgive my naivete, Doogie, if that's what it is, but are you saying that being a columnist requires you to be snide and take cheap shots? Or are you just saying that being a beat writer means you have to be nice to the team to keep your body intact and avoid physical mayhem?

I'm an avid follower... but also a realist... Am I not supposed to point out the one offensive TD in the final 43 possessions of last year? Finishing last in the Big Ten in just about every offensive category? The record in post Nov. 1 conference games? The rivalry games? The tendency to commit penalties? I also have endlessly praised the hiring of Horton... the ability to keep Hammock, who had a nice offer this offseason... and I have defended Weber a ton... to the point where I am the ultimate apologist. I also have said on 1500/written about my love for Edwards, Kirksey, and Wilhite.
Yes, there is a fine line as a beat writer that you need to walk when you depend on needing quotes many, many days... and you are there every single day.

Doogie what your supposed to realize is how badly Fisch had the offense screwed up. It was far to complex for college. The players didn't have enough time to get the basics down before he moved on to the complications. Horton understands this and things will be much better this year.

Top Bottom