Weather vs Iowa

Would be interesting to know what the coldest game Ol' Bronko played in...

EDIT: Looks like MN played Wisky on November 20, 1937, in Minneapolis with Bronko in the game. The high that day was 21 F and the low was 8 F...very comparable conditions to this weekend.

Last edited:

The forecast has remained steady for several days now so we can pretty much lock this one in. Mostly cloudy with a kickoff temp of 18. WNW wind of 15, with gusts to 20-30 mph. Temperatures will fall to around 13 by the end of the game, with sustained winds decreasing to 10 mph, with gusts of 15-20 mph after halftime.

Would be interesting to know what the coldest game Ol' Bronko played in...

EDIT: Looks like MN played Wisky on November 20, 1937, in Minneapolis with Bronko in the game. The high that day was 21 F and the low was 8 F...very comparable conditions to this weekend.
Will the staff study game film?🤡

I feel like you can approach game day weather like this two ways. You can wring your hands about it, get nervous and let it ruin your experience. Or you can lean in to it, dress accordingly and look at it as an adventure and something you will never forget. I'm going with the latter.

We would welcome this forecast in January so I suspect most everyone has the gear to deal with it. I've skied in sub-zero temps for hours in the past without getting cold so I'm confident I can last for a few hours on Saturday if I plan correctly. Bring it on!! Plus, if the weather keeps a few Hawkeye fans sitting on their couches in Iowa City instead of making the trip to the big city, it's worth it.

i can say one thing for sure. with temps like that, no one is going to want to hit Mo. Hopefully the road graders get going and those carries for 2-4 yards are going to be 4-8 plus in the 2nd half

I feel like you can approach game day weather like this two ways. You can wring your hands about it, get nervous and let it ruin your experience. Or you can lean in to it, dress accordingly and look at it as an adventure and something you will never forget. I'm going with the latter.

We would welcome this forecast in January so I suspect most everyone has the gear to deal with it. I've skied in sub-zero temps for hours in the past without getting cold so I'm confident I can last for a few hours on Saturday if I plan correctly. Bring it on!! Plus, if the weather keeps a few Hawkeye fans sitting on their couches in Iowa City instead of making the trip to the big city, it's worth it.
You have the idea my man!
My only dilemma is whether I dare risk not wearing a GIANT winter coat...I know this sounds like a no brainer idiotic thing to debate. Last week, in order to preserve some maroon show-out colors, I wore Carhartt bigs and multiple layers on top (including a thermal vest)....I was legit roasty. I did not have a winter coat.... I feel like if it weren't for the wind I could probably do that again and be ok.

Blah blah - have some pre game drinks, wool layering, hand warmers...LFG!

I HATE the bitter cold and dread these games. But we go through this (maybe not quite this bad) about once a year, and I always think of it as a bonding experience with our group: We're all in this together. As a result, some of the coldest games are among my best memories as a season ticket holder.

I HATE the bitter cold and dread these games. But we go through this (maybe not quite this bad) about once a year, and I always think of it as a bonding experience with our group: We're all in this together. As a result, some of the coldest games are among my best memories as a season ticket holder.
So you dread your best memories. Interesting.

So you dread your best memories. Interesting.
Likely dreads the bitter cold (who doesn't) but loves the experiences it creates.

I'll be in quite a few layers, myself, and looks like I'll need them. But that's why I have Gopher gear a few sizes too large for me -- I'll stick it right over the top of whatever I'm wearing.

Hell yea! Absolutely!

The
Likely dreads the bitter cold (who doesn't) but loves the experiences it creates.

I'll be in quite a few layers, myself, and looks like I'll need them. But that's why I have Gopher gear a few sizes too large for me -- I'll stick it right over the top of whatever I'm wearing.
The only thing I don't really have is a gopher winter coat. I notice that aside from an occasional branded columbia coat there aren't a lot of options. So I may have to wear an olive green jacket over maroon stuff!!!! The heresy.

I’ll be bundled up with a beer jacket on top of my coat. Time to bring Floyd home!

I am right there with you - I hate the cold... my dream someday in retirement is to move south for 6 months of the year.... BUT, I love the cold weather games. The simple fact of you have to be into the game. You won't have the casual fan. I guarantee whether you're an Iowa or Minnesota fan you're going to be jumping around, cheering, and having fun. It is the only way to stay warm.

Although if Iowa jumps out to an early lead the stadium could empty at a record rate.

I loved these cold games in High School because I pretty much never came off the field. Once the game got going, I was just fine. Then in college I really didn't play much until my junior and senior seasons. And even then I only played about 1/2 of the offensive snaps so only about 1/4 of the overall plays. It's really hard to stay loose and warm when you're not playing a lot. It's gotta be even harder for guys that are just special teamers.

Lets hope our boys don't wring the hands Friday night and follow that up Saturday huddling around the heaters waiting for it to end and go back to the dorm and play video games. This was the deal when Game Day was here and Wisconsin kicked our ass.
I wonder if they will practice outside or already have today and walk through tomorrow so they can learn it is not really that bad.

The

The only thing I don't really have is a gopher winter coat. I notice that aside from an occasional branded columbia coat there aren't a lot of options. So I may have to wear an olive green jacket over maroon stuff!!!! The heresy.
I bought a nice Gopher sweatshirt a few sizes bigger than normal. Fits right over my winter coat.

I loved these cold games in High School because I pretty much never came off the field. Once the game got going, I was just fine. Then in college I really didn't play much until my junior and senior seasons. And even then I only played about 1/2 of the offensive snaps so only about 1/4 of the overall plays. It's really hard to stay loose and warm when you're not playing a lot. It's gotta be even harder for guys that are just special teamers.

You had the Nekton mentality

Bad weather favors the gophers for the following reasons:
Punting is an advantage for Iowa, this mitigates it

60% of iowas yards this year are through the air
45% of Minnesota’s yards this year are through the air

People don’t realize this but Iowa is more effective gaining yardage passing than rushing

Yep! That's the way. Large gopher gear like hockey jerseys or sweaters that fit over winter coats are the perfect gameplan. Warm and decked-out!
giphy.gif

Bad weather favors the gophers for the following reasons:
Punting is an advantage for Iowa, this mitigates it

60% of iowas yards this year are through the air
45% of Minnesota’s yards this year are through the air

People don’t realize this but Iowa is more effective gaining yardage passing than rushing
Plus if we start Athan he should be able to take off and get them desperation yards when needed.

Hopefully Gophers have a firm of warming gels, Vaseline on the face keeps the cold and wind out. Floyd has been gone to damn long.

I bought a nice Gopher sweatshirt a few sizes bigger than normal. Fits right over my winter coat.
Before one of the final basketball games last season there was a Fanfest next door at the Pav. They were also clearing out Gopher merch. They had some really nice Nike long sleeve t-shirts, already discounted that were BOGO. I picked up a nice grey one my size but maroon only had Small or multiple Xs.

I bought one with 2 more than I need, thinking I could throw it over my heavy UA Winter Storm jacket (black unfortunately) for a day like Saturday. Totally forgot about it until you posted this. Just put it to the test by going out for a walk. Works great.

Ready to go!

Last edited:

Top Bottom