Weather vs Iowa

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of talk on other threads already but the weather always deserves its own thread. It's a near lock temperatures will be below freezing, but how far is still a question. We're in a cold, NW flow pattern this week where small disturbances to the north and south will bring changing temperatures and chances for light snow.

Currently an Alberta Clipper (not Calcutta) is forecasted to move through on Saturday. This would bring warmer temperatures into the mid 20s early in the day, then falling temperatures, wind, and light snow during the afternoon.

These small disturbances and clippers are tough to forecast long range, and can vary greatly day to day. But this one comes on the leading edge of Arctic air, which is a little better forecasted a week out.

Right now it looks like the high of 24 on Saturday will be reached around noon with light snow falling. The snow would be short lived but temperatures would fall to around 15 by kickoff and potentially into the upper single digits by the end of the game, with a NW wind of 10-20 mph.

I've seen a lot of talk on other threads already but the weather always deserves its own thread. It's a near lock temperatures will be below freezing, but how far is still a question. We're in a cold, NW flow pattern this week where small disturbances to the north and south will bring changing temperatures and chances for light snow.

Currently an Alberta Clipper (not Calcutta) is forecasted to move through on Saturday. This would bring warmer temperatures into the mid 20s early in the day, then falling temperatures, wind, and light snow during the afternoon.

These small disturbances and clippers are tough to forecast long range, and can vary greatly day to day. But this one comes on the leading edge of Arctic air, which is a little better forecasted a week out.

Right now it looks like the high of 24 on Saturday will be reached around noon with light snow falling. The snow would be short lived but temperatures would fall to around 15 by kickoff and potentially into the upper single digits by the end of the game, with a NW wind of 10-20 mph.
Uffda.

I’m ready…

il_794xN.4328785879_czsl.jpg

Dang man that's wild. You think the Iowa - Illinois game was a barn burner, this one could put it to shame lol.
This afternoon's model runs are even colder than this morning's. How about temperatures in the single digits for most of the game and wind gusts up to 30 mph? First team to score wins.

This afternoon's model runs are even colder than this morning's. How about temperatures in the single digits for most of the game and wind gusts up to 30 mph? First team to score wins.
Weather channel now has the high as 18. Uffda

Plus the late start. Only M&G might be on my head.

Last edited:

I thought of that when I sat down yesterday. Looked over there "nope, not better..."
Didn't have the wind in our faces though, so we had that...first game that I didn't head to the top for a quarter. Flags on the top up there were blowing straight south.

So the Strib says attendance was 41,686.

I don't think that was turnstile but just tix sold...correct?

So the Strib says attendance was 41,686.

I don't think that was turnstile but just tix sold...correct?
Definitely paid. If there were 25K butts in seats, I'd be surprised. Lots right next to stadium were maybe half full with vehicles, maybe. Down to under 10K by early 3rd quarter for sure.

I made it through Ian and Nicole over the last month. I'm done with weather model runs every 6 hours for the next 9 months.

Plenty of Iowa fans I'm sure coming up. Annoying "Let's go Hawks" will be chanted throughout the game. Need to get that lead and shut them up. Those folks have no life.
Think you're right about them traveling. They see an Indy Game in their future.

As for me, I find the "I-O-W-A" cheer to be more annoying unless they win it. Then no doubt "Let's Go Hawks" in the concourses is down right obnoxious.

We shut them up in 2010. The Hawks around us then left at the 3rd quarter. Long trip no doubt back to I-O-W-A City.

I made it through Ian and Nicole over the last month. I'm done with weather model runs every 6 hours for the next 9 months.

Watching 40 runs of the GFS come in for 10 days before a potential blizzard is one the simple pleasures in life.

Definitely paid. If there were 25K butts in seats, I'd be surprised. Lots right next to stadium were maybe half full with vehicles, maybe. Down to under 10K by early 3rd quarter for sure.
My guess it it was under 20,000 that actually made it through the gates. In 2018 it was about 15,000 per the StarTribune in an article they put out in 2019. It looked really similar.

Lower level student section was relatively full at the start. Those that hung around for the scholarship give away had really good odds.

I’ll be surprised if we see an outsized Iowa turnout.

Their fans have been frustrated by Brian a lot this year…

I’ll be surprised if we see an outsized Iowa turnout.

Their fans have been frustrated by Brian a lot this year…
Weather could be a factor for them too. Who wants to travel 4 hours to freeze their butts off?

Watching 40 runs of the GFS come in for 10 days before a potential blizzard is one the simple pleasures in life.

The only problem with this statement is GFS :sneaky:

But most of the good Euro data is typically behind a paywall

Top Bottom