We will pay whoever we hire to replace TC

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
The Big Ten TV money is going to rise substantially over the next few years, we have a $160 million athletic village opening up next year and we have a football team that is grossly under performing financially right now.

If I were the AD, I would know that right now is about the only time in the history of Gopher Football where I could get away with over paying for a new Head Coach.

Easy enough to say we need to pay for quality (look at the top programs), we have made a huge investment in infrastructure and now need to put the right coach on the field, and the "culture" needs to be fixed.

Hell, I just wrote Coyle's press release for the hiring of PJ Fleck and giving him a 5 year $15 million contract along with top pay for his Asst Coaches.

Now is the perfect time to spend the big bucks and roll the dice...all up side and no downside. Because if Coyle doesn't make such a move and we are mediocre 2 years from now, he is fired. If he does make the move and we are mediocre 2 years from now he is fired. So might as well roll the dice on what you believe will have the best possible chance of success because the downside is the same either way.

If I were Coyle, I would throw a brinks truck at PJ Fleck (and tell him to try and keep Sawvell, Phelps & Sherels) and make a bold move to fix the culture and bring a winning team to the Gophers.

My heart says to keep Claeys as I really like the guy...but my head says otherwise.

The Big Ten TV money is going to rise substantially over the next few years, we have a $160 million athletic village opening up next year and we have a football team that is grossly under performing financially right now.

If I were the AD, I would know that right now is about the only time in the history of Gopher Football where I could get away with over paying for a new Head Coach.

Easy enough to say we need to pay for quality (look at the top programs), we have made a huge investment in infrastructure and now need to put the right coach on the field, and the "culture" needs to be fixed.

Hell, I just wrote Coyle's press release for the hiring of PJ Fleck and giving him a 5 year $15 million contract along with top pay for his Asst Coaches.

Now is the perfect time to spend the big bucks and roll the dice...all up side and no downside. Because if Coyle doesn't make such a move and we are mediocre 2 years from now, he is fired. If he does make the move and we are mediocre 2 years from now he is fired. So might as well roll the dice on what you believe will have the best possible chance of success because the downside is the same either way.

If I were Coyle, I would throw a brinks truck at PJ Fleck (and tell him to try and keep Sawvell, Phelps & Sherels) and make a bold move to fix the culture and bring a winning team to the Gophers.

My heart says to keep Claeys as I really like the guy...but my head says otherwise.

If we are going to pay big money then I'd like to see us go after some better than Fleck. A few good years in the MAC isn't exactly hitting it out of the park.

If we are going to pay big money then I'd like to see us go after some better than Fleck. A few good years in the MAC isn't exactly hitting it out of the park.

While I agree with you, I think it would take BIG money for us to get a guy like Fleck. I think the guys that you(and I) would want for big money, would hold out.

Doubt it. After this latest fiasco.....there's no way that the admin pays the buyout $$ and then shells out for a high paid coach. There would be an uproar. They'd go fishing in G5 for a cheap replacement in all likelihood. If we don't want a mass exodus from the program.....leaving it where it was when Kill came in.....we need to retain Claeys.

Doubt it. After this latest fiasco.....there's no way that the admin pays the buyout $$ and then shells out for a high paid coach. There would be an uproar. They'd go fishing in G5 for a cheap replacement in all likelihood. If we don't want a mass exodus from the program.....leaving it where it was when Kill came in.....we need to retain Claeys.

I can't think of a reason why Claeys should be let go (so I agree with your sentiment).

But is there a buyout, if there is, it can't be much.

Fleck isn't worth any money yet.

That's what kind of stinks about being the kind of program that we are. If we want to hire someone new, we inevitably, must take a pretty big risk (bet on someone being worth the money).

This^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think they'll hire Fleck or Chip Kelly.

They'll probably hire Glen Caruso or Cory Sauter.

Fleck isn't worth any money yet.

Disagree. He has gotten a ton of publicity because of his team's play this year. If*** he were hired, he'd bring lots of momentum with him. Also....like with Pitino (minus the name) he is a younger guy. That kind of energy can sell recruits.

I can't think of a reason why Claeys should be let go (so I agree with your sentiment).

But is there a buyout, if there is, it can't be much.

If I remember correctly....it's not Claeys buyout that is expensive. It's when you factor in the rest of the staff that it is a bit more expensive.

Tony Dungy

Obviously, your point is debatable, but that doesn't matter.

I don't think anyone thinks Claeys' raise would be as much as it would take to lure Fleck.

No, because no power 5 school outside of Minnesota would hire Claeys as a head coach.

No, because no power 5 school outside of Minnesota would hire Claeys as a head coach.

Another 8 or 9 win season and I bet there would be a good number of power 5 teams that would be ecstatic to hire Claeys.

What's your point?

The thread is about paying the money to find someone to replace Claeys. A poster said that Fleck isn't worth it (paying the money to REPLACE Claeys). You keep bringing up Claeys, we get it, you don't like him. This thread is assuming your fantasy comes true.

Here is what you're doing:
(1) Thread Titled: We will Pay for a Nice New Car
(2) In the thread title, we are making the hypothetical that we are getting a new car (the other car doesn't work anymore)
(3) Poster says: "I don't want Car A, it's not worth the price".
(4) You reply: "It's better than our old car."
(5) Do you see how in the context of the thread, point (4) and point (3) don't really have much to do with each other? No one is talking about paying THAT price for the old car.

As to your point about no power 5 school outside of MN hiring Claeys. Maybe, as of now. If Claeys has another season or 2 of 9+ wins, his offers will be better than Fleck. It's really hard to tell what Fleck's value is right now. He doesn't really seem to have a P5 offer. He didn't get offered at Purdue (maybe he made it known he wasn't interested). Purdue is a worse job than MN, and Claeys is the coach at MN. So ya know, it's a bad comparison, but there are a lot of assumptions on your end.

What's your point?

The thread is about paying the money to find someone to replace Claeys. A poster said that Fleck isn't worth it (paying the money to REPLACE Claeys). You keep bringing up Claeys, we get it, you don't like him. This thread is assuming your fantasy comes true.

Here is what you're doing:
(1) Thread Titled: We will Pay for a Nice New Car
(2) In the thread title, we are making the hypothetical that we are getting a new car (the other car doesn't work anymore)
(3) Poster says: "I don't want Car A, it's not worth the price".
(4) You reply: "It's better than our old car."
(5) Do you see how in the context of the thread, point (4) and point (3) don't really have much to do with each other? No one is talking about paying THAT price for the old car.

As to your point about no power 5 school outside of MN hiring Claeys. Maybe, as of now. If Claeys has another season or 2 of 9+ wins, his offers will be better than Fleck. It's really hard to tell what Fleck's value is right now. He doesn't really seem to have a P5 offer. He didn't get offered at Purdue (maybe he made it known he wasn't interested). Purdue is a worse job than MN, and Claeys is the coach at MN. So ya know, it's a bad comparison, but there are a lot of assumptions on your end.

Agree with you on Fleck. The only proven guys out there are Miles and Kelly. The former won with kids who couldn't get into the U and the latter would not be interested in this job.

Who has won more B1G games?

Fleck may be the new shiny coach but he isn't getting a giant contract like the OP is talking about.

Claeys and Fleck both have 1 win vs a B1G team who finished with a winning record this year: Northwestern.
Who's playing in the Cotton Bowl? Purdue is paying Brohm 3+ million per year. If Minnesota wants Fleck, they could easily pay him that type of money.

Claeys and Fleck both have 1 win vs a B1G team who finished with a winning record this year: Northwestern.
Who's playing in the Cotton Bowl? Purdue is paying Brohm 3+ million per year. If Minnesota wants Fleck, they could easily pay him that type of money.

I'm not arguing whether the U will pay a lot of money to a coach or not. Fleck hasn't done anything to garner a large contract from a P5 school. Way to wiggle out of answering the question though. Your picture suits you well.

Why didn't Purdue offer Fleck $3 million? The schools are just fighting over themselves to get Fleck.

I'm not arguing whether the U will pay a lot of money to a coach or not. Fleck hasn't done anything to garner a large contract from a P5 school. Way to wiggle out of answering the question though. Your picture suits you well.

The media loves Fleck, but they need to find someone to cling onto every year. Most don't work out. Oregon wasn't interested in Fleck and I'm sure that there was a reason.

I'd be willing to give Sarkasian a shot before Fleck assuming that he's cleaned himself up.

There is no reason the U can't pay big money. They are consistently in the top 20 in the nation in revenue, and depending on the source, anywhere from 6 to 4 in the Big Ten. It's been a choice not to pay the money to this point, and a ton has been tied up in paying past coaches. When Tubby was here, he was paid.

Overall, the U in great shape, with their overall endowment one of top 5 for public universities.

Despite all that, you don't pay it just because you can. They have a coach who can likely be successful and they will not have to throw the bank at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made the comparison to Brohm. So you think Brohm has done more to be worth a large P5 contract than Fleck?

3 million/yr would be ranked ~35th in the country. When Kill was hired from a MAC school his salary was ~41st in the country. Kill never went undefeated or played in a bowl the caliber of the Cotton Bowl when he was at NIU.

If your gonna pay big money think Chris Patterson not Fleck....

I made the comparison to Brohm. So you think Brohm has done more to be worth a large P5 contract than Fleck?

3 million/yr would be ranked ~35th in the country. When Kill was hired from a MAC school his salary was ~41st in the country. Kill never went undefeated or played in a bowl the caliber of the Cotton Bowl when he was at NIU.

Great job wiggling again? You said he's done more than claeys. Which is completely false and I called you out on it. Prove he's done more than Claeys.

And let's look at that win..Northwestern loss that game because they fumbled on 1 yard line going into score the go ahead touchdown in the closing minutes of the 4th. Western Michigan won 22-21. Compare that to the Minnesota game where Northwestern was controlled all game and wasn't close. Minnesota wins 29-12.

So let's fire a coach who has had one full season under his belt that hadn't been given the chance to recruit his offensive players for the scheme he wants to run. Who is already doing it better the what PJ Fleck did against Northwestern and Illinois. Fleck has been given 4 years to build his team. Tomorrow, you should see Wisconsin completely dominate that game if they come to play. Western Michigan is not a top 15.

Great job wiggling again? You said he's done more than claeys. Which is completely false and I called you out on it. Prove he's done more than Claeys.

He went undefeated and is playing in the Cotton Bowl. He has a better recruiting class than Claeys. If he beats Wisconsin, that makes it even easier. Who's wiggling? You never answered my question about Brohm.

Top Bottom