We should be ashamed of this win.

Zach Calzada was not that highly recruited, just a 3 star and has rarely seen the field. He got beat out by a 4 star Freshman Haynes King who got injured immediately at the start of the game.
Calzada threw <50% on 38 passes. That's not good, and not sure how much of that was because of great defensive play.
He was awful. I'm not saying he's an awful player, but he played awful yesterday. Doesn't mean Colorado doesn't have a good defense, but Calzada made a lot of unforced errors.

Ar least we're not Florida State.

A win is a win

I have a buddy who's a bad combination of massive Irish and Bison fan. He was ribbing me about the Gophs almost losing to a "D2" team and, of course, how NDSU is better than MN. I had to remind him that his beloved Irish damn near lost to a "D2" Toledo team, who are worse than Miami, until the game's very end. It wasn't pretty for the Gophs AT-ALL in the 2nd half, but a win is a win. Miami has a good G5 program.

Colorado held Texas A&M to 3 points until the final 2:00 minutes of the game. That is scary. That is a real, tangible, functioning defense. If our Colorado game plan is to run Potts 45 times to the same spot, I’m starting to feel a little bit nauseous.

Hahahaha. Did you not watch the Colorado offense? They literally couldn't do anything after the first quarter. They have ZERO passing game. Their fans feel like they have their own issues. Trust me.

Hahahaha. Did you not watch the Colorado offense? They literally couldn't do anything after the first quarter. They have ZERO passing game. Their fans feel like they have their own issues. Trust me.
I agree ... in theory. But the Gopher defense has a way of coaxing once-in-a-lifetime passing performances out of otherwise hapless QBs and mediocre WRs. So many times I have seen QBs recover (or discover for the first time) their mojo against our hyper-anemic pass rush. I am hoping that we don't get "Bortenschlager-ed" at Colorado.

I agree ... in theory. But the Gopher defense has a way of coaxing once-in-a-lifetime passing performances out of otherwise hapless QBs and mediocre WRs. So many times I have seen QBs recover (or discover for the first time) their mojo against our hyper-anemic pass rush. I am hoping that we don't get "Bortenschlager-ed" at Colorado.

Oof. That was the Winfield hammy game IIIRC.

Colorado fans want to fire their OC. Sound familiar?

"Fans" here to tell other fans that we should feel ashamed of our team...

A W is a W, but Iowa and Colorado looked awfully good today, as did Nebraska and Purdue. It will not be an easy season with conference road games at Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa.
Kind of agree … but Colorado did not look all that good. Texas A&M, with its starting QB injured early, looked bad.

Kind of agree … but Colorado did not look all that good. Texas A&M, with its starting QB injured early, looked bad.
I tuned in and out of this game a lot; The TA&M backup QB was not ready to play in this one. That kid was not comfortable the entire game, the announcers mentioned it repeatedly. Hard to draw much of anything about the Colorado Defense from watching that game.

Fleck probably loves this kind of blind allegiance.

Be objective in your view and you'll see what any knowledgeable fan sees... this team has some weaknesses.

Doesn't mean this team can't get to 8-9 wins with some luck.
Naw, you just need to piss off and stop watching the games. You add no value to Gopher football.

Naw, you just need to piss off and stop watching the games. You add no value to Gopher football.
Fans want to believe what Fleck is trying to sell. He said, paraphrasing..."this is the best Gopher team since I've been here ".

Except the team isn't playing like it.

Can you comprehend why some of us are skeptical?

Fans want to believe what Fleck is trying to sell. He said, paraphrasing..."this is the best Gopher team since I've been here ".

Except the team isn't playing like it.

Can you comprehend why some of us are skeptical?
Jumping in here myself to say something. I can see why people are skeptical, however this team is playing no better or worse than the 2019 team at this point in the season, and that team was one of the best teams in the last 50 years.

I just think it's a bit too early to draw any concrete conclusions.

Jumping in here myself to say something. I can see why people are skeptical, however this team is playing no better or worse than the 2019 team at this point in the season, and that team was one of the best teams in the last 50 years.

I just think it's a bit too early to draw any concrete conclusions.
Yeah, and it isn't surprise that the most vocal "skeptics" are the ones who typically have very little positive to say about the program or the current head coach.

As you point out, in 2019 there were plenty of reasons to be concerned and we know how that one turned out. Gotta let the season play out. So far we have lost to a top flight program and beaten a MAC school. Style points are fun but the important part is the end result and we have won the one game we were supposed to and played pretty well in the one we weren't.

Oh, and we are also dealing with the loss of a star player.

I attended the Kent state game. I was with friends of mine at the Kent State game. I was served beer at the Kent state game. This was no Kent State game.
I wasn't ashamed of the win. But I was ashamed I dragged 2 friends along for their first Gopher game. They looked reeaaallly bored 😅

Win and advance. 2019 looked fairly similar early in the year.
I am just rambling some thoughts while on vacation.

Patience is a good virtue. The team as a unit need to gel together. It takes a few games. What matters is to try keep on winning even by a point.

They will bail out all the water and plug the leaks in their boat.

If they don't sustain injuries to the key players, they will fare much better.

The Gophers must balance short term needs versus the long term needs.

It is tempting to burn red shirts. That will be fine if you have an immediate impact blue chipper who will win those extra games and put the Gophers on a title and recruiting wins.

I don't see a 5-Star Mo or a 5-Star AWJr caliber young player ready to make immediate impact. The Gophers develop and coach players up to maximize their potential.

The season is young. We have drama unfolding. PJ Fleck has the team focused one game at a time.

We are close on Dylan Wright who will be in the NFL. Watch out for players like Brady Boyd. That kid looks hungry.

They are who they are talent-wise. Team leaders will step up. Coaching and player development will maximize the potential.

They have some good young developing talent. They need more. You don't want to burn red shirts if you can avoid it.

There's always risks involved with transfers. That is evident on the defensive side. They needed to for the short term. I will give the Defense time to click together. It's painful to watch the second half as it stands right now. This is where we win or lose those extra games.

They have to be aggressive in recruiting and improving the Defense. They need a better Defense to be in the B1G West title conversations. That is why Iowa is a tough team to beat. Their Defense bail them out. Wisconsin managed to be at the top because they are good on both sides of the game most seasons.

These are the two consistent teams in the division. The fight between the rest of the division is by a thin margin most of the time. NW seem to be the team that rise to the occasion once in a while.

PJ Fleck is trying to change the conversation.
He will fix the Defense. He needs some luck in recruiting this side of the game. Losing Avante Dickerson was tough. The Gophers move on very quickly.

Last edited:

Two disheartening and ominous statistics: no sacks or plays longer than 31 yards in two games—some hope for latter; for the former the push from Pinckney & Martin up front does not seem to be materializing…two long field goals provides a reason to smile, though..
The whole thing is like a balloon. Squeeze on one side to make the other side bigger only to make the other side smaller. The trick is to figure out how to balance the squeezing.

Pinckney and the other transfers on Defense were that balance they hoping will bail them out this season while they focus on aggressively recruiting on Defense. Even analysts were praising the transfers.

The season is still young.

It seems like the Gophers need to get a member of the coaching staff who can help in recruiting defensively. They cannot afford recruiting duds like Ali Saad who ended up transferring out.

There's only so many scholarships to give.

The Gophers were lucky in the beginning focusing on recruiting wins on the OL and WR corps.

The Kill/Claeys guys bailed them out defensively.

The Gophers were able to focus on improving the Offense which was badly needed to balance the running and the receiving game.

They had Smith and Brooks to rely on in the morning game.

Recruiting on offense took off. They are recruiting better QBs, OLs, and WRs.

Now, they need to do the same thing on Defense.

Squeeze that balloon just right.

Last edited:

Today's game should give everyone concern when we start playing on the road.

As far as talent... Fleck gives us "coachspeak". I'm not seeing much talent on the defensive side of the football. Today proved we'll need to score 30-35 every game to have any chance at a win.
No kidding. I think it's obvious why Pinckney transferred from Clemson. He'd probably be struggling to be practice squad player of the week there.

Ashamed feels a little strong.

I was pleased the running game looked efficient without Ibrahim. Offense was solid until Wright was injured. Miami never had the ball with a chance to take the lead (in the 2nd half). Special Teams are not a disaster like last year.

I was far more alarmed after the Georgia Southern game in 2019. Obviously there is room for improvement.

Ugly. We have way too much talent to play like this.

Side note, I really think PJ plays too many favorites, not necessarily always the best players. Watching Irving on the kickoff returns, he's clearly a better runner than Wiley and Williams, yet he got 0 touches.

Morgan is a great kid, but he's not the most talented QB on the roster.

The difference between a Saban and a Fleck.

Saban will play the best players (he doesn't care about hurting a players feelings because they've been there longer), Fleck does not.
Ashamed we are getting our ass kicked by Wisconsin for 20 years. This was a tough game and we won, what more do we need? Morgan is the most talented QB on the roster by a long shot.

Ugly. We have way too much talent to play like this.

Side note, I really think PJ plays too many favorites, not necessarily always the best players. Watching Irving on the kickoff returns, he's clearly a better runner than Wiley and Williams, yet he got 0 touches.

Morgan is a great kid, but he's not the most talented QB on the roster.

The difference between a Saban and a Fleck.

Saban will play the best players (he doesn't care about hurting a players feelings because they've been there longer), Fleck does not.
ridiculous take, you sound like a high school parent

Toledo team, who are worse than Miami
I'm curious of the basis for your statement that Toledo is worse than Miami. We don't have a lot of objective data to work with, but based on subjective information - according to Sagarin, Toledo would be a 9-point favorite over Miami if they played today on a neutral field. Most every MAC preview I read had Toledo as among the favorites to win the conference this year. In addition, Toledo is a betting favorite or co-favorite to win the MAC at every sports book I could find offering odds.

After two games, the Gophers have:

1. Lost to Ohio St.
2. Beaten Miami University

That’s exactly what 99% of fans thought would happen. Why all the angst?

Two disheartening and ominous statistics: no sacks or plays longer than 31 yards in two games—some hope for latter; for the former the push from Pinckney & Martin up front does not seem to be materializing…two long field goals provides a reason to smile, though..
One comment here is that Mo did have a very nice (shocking really..) 56 yard run against the Bucks in the first game. Remember the 4th down call that I almost fell off my couch while watching? If they didn't get that first down, that game was over early in the first half. Fleck is normally conservative to the extreme, but that was truly a ballsy call.

I think the sacks, or lack thereof, is very disturbing and must change. They really have not had any pressure on the QB. I was really hoping to see someone on the D-line step-up.

Season is still young, but this is where Rossi needs to somehow create pressure.

Last edited:

I keep saying this into thing air - disgrace to lose to Ohio state by 14. They’re a mess

Top Bottom