We Must All Be Really Stupid!

Duluthguy

Reaction score
It seems that no matter which coaching candidate is being discussed, someone always raises the question, "Why would he want to come here from (name your state)? You know, the post that suggests that Minnesota is the closest thing to Siberia and that no one in their right mind would ever live here by choice.

The strange thing is that I think all of us think that way at least a little bit, even though we all live here by choice. We all have that odd belief that every place else is better, even though we all know people who have moved away and moved back, or we've moved here from somewhere else because we like it here more. (I'm from Ohio, and I'd never go back.) We must all question our sanity for living here when surely no one else would want to. (I sometimes do.)

In another thread someone questioned why Harbaugh would leave nothern California for MN. I found this especially interesting considering a conversation I had just last night. I was playing poker and met a guy who was traveling around the country and stumbled upon Duluth. This guy said he liked it here so much that he'd like to find a job and stay - even though we had just gotten 7" of snow and winds so bad that we lost 34 trees just right around our lawn. Oh yea, the guy is from San Diego.

I'm not saying weather is not a factor, we just need a coach as stupid as the rest of us.

I'm not saying weather is not a factor, we just need a coach as stupid as the rest of us.

Duluthguy...Not possible. :)

It seems that no matter which coaching candidate is being discussed, someone always raises the question, "Why would he want to come here from (name your state)? You know, the post that suggests that Minnesota is the closest thing to Siberia and that no one in their right mind would ever live here by choice.

The strange thing is that I think all of us think that way at least a little bit, even though we all live here by choice. We all have that odd belief that every place else is better, even though we all know people who have moved away and moved back, or we've moved here from somewhere else because we like it here more. (I'm from Ohio, and I'd never go back.) We must all question our sanity for living here when surely no one else would want to. (I sometimes do.)

In another thread someone questioned why Harbaugh would leave nothern California for MN. I found this especially interesting considering a conversation I had just last night. I was playing poker and met a guy who was traveling around the country and stumbled upon Duluth. This guy said he liked it here so much that he'd like to find a job and stay - even though we had just gotten 7" of snow and winds so bad that we lost 34 trees just right around our lawn. Oh yea, the guy is from San Diego.

I'm not saying weather is not a factor, we just need a coach as stupid as the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

Also keep in mind, it only takes one person/coach.

Great post. :)

The Twin cities are more or less as appealing a destination as anywhere else, despite what excessive Minnesota humility would have us think. The issue is not why would a coach want to come to this area, but why would a BCS coach want to make what was - at best - a lateral move? For a non-BCS head coach, or for a BCS coordinator this job has appeal, it's a step up. The job isn't that unappealing, we aren't Duke: if Duke could have as much success as Brewster had at Minnesota, they would take it. We have excellent facilities. Ideally, we'd like a coach to do well and stay here, but if the coach does move on, I will be satisfied if we are left in good shape when he does move on.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I live where the best career opportunities are for me. That said, if someone wanted to promote me and double my salary to move to a less attractive city, I would give it serious consideration. Would I move to Lincoln Nebraska, probably not, but Minneapolis is not a sh!thole. No reasonable candidate would not chose MN based on weather or something along those lines. Of course admin support is another story.........

Then again, some people just have an itch to pick up and move every few years. Most of us aren't them, but we all know people like that. Or, I suppose we all knew them, and then they moved.

We don't all live in state, Duluthguy.

Still I'd never say something like that. There's something good about nearly every place in the country that isn't Iowa.

Then again, some people just have an itch to pick up and move every few years. Most of us aren't them, but we all know people like that. Or, I suppose we all knew them, and then they moved.

I'd really like to try to live out west. However, I don't like the idea of moving my kids once they start school. So you're stuck with me for many more moons.

Fine take the locations out of it.

Why would you leave Stanford (6-1) for Minnesota (1-7)?
Why would you leave when you have a top 25 recruiting class coming in for what could be the last place class in the Big Ten.
Why would you leave Andrew Luck (probably a first team all American next year) for the QB mess that the Gophers are?
Do you really think that he wants to beat Michigan so bad that he is going to walk into the mess that is Minnesota football right now? With the way things are right now even if Michigan fires RR it would be what 2-3 years before you had a shot at beating them.
If you now are going to spend up to 3 million (as some have posted here) now, why did you not do it before. I don't think you will spend that much but then again I don't think your getting a top flight coach either. I think you end up with Punky 2.0

Fine take the locations out of it.

Why would you leave Stanford (6-1) for Minnesota (1-7)?
Why would you leave when you have a top 25 recruiting class coming in for what could be the last place class in the Big Ten.
Why would you leave Andrew Luck (probably a first team all American next year) for the QB mess that the Gophers are?
Do you really think that he wants to beat Michigan so bad that he is going to walk into the mess that is Minnesota football right now? With the way things are right now even if Michigan fires RR it would be what 2-3 years before you had a shot at beating them.
If you now are going to spend up to 3 million (as some have posted here) now, why did you not do it before. I don't think you will spend that much but then again I don't think your getting a top flight coach either. I think you end up with Punky 2.0

Who do you cheer for? Iowa or Wisconsin?

Talk about thinned skinned. I brought up points to debate and all you have done is dodge them, called me names, and picked out one little side fact that I GOT WRONG. Are you happy now?

Great post. There is a certain gene that resides in Minnesotans that causes people here to understate everything, declare things are "good enough", and assume everyone hates us.

I have posted many times on weather misperceptions, geography, etc. I do realize Minnesota isn't for everyone, or else the population growth rate would be higher than it is now. But keep this in mind... during the last decade the Twin Cities metro area has grown in population at a FASTER RATE than San Diego. Clearly someone likes it here. The growth rate is modest compared to some sunbelt states but for a snowbelt state, it is a very good if not amazing population growth rate.

And for what it is worth... I could live anywhere I want to and I am happy to say I am living in my FIRST choice: Minnesota.

Great post. There is a certain gene that resides in Minnesotans that causes people here to understate everything, declare things are "good enough", and assume everyone hates us.

I have posted many times on weather misperceptions, geography, etc. I do realize Minnesota isn't for everyone, or else the population growth rate would be higher than it is now. But keep this in mind... during the last decade the Twin Cities metro area has grown in population at a FASTER RATE than San Diego. Clearly someone likes it here. The growth rate is modest compared to some sunbelt states but for a snowbelt state, it is a very good if not amazing population growth rate.

And for what it is worth... I could live anywhere I want to and I am happy to say I am living in my FIRST choice: Minnesota.

It's those damn Coen brothers and their movie "Fargo!" And Garrison Keillor with PHC.

Seriously, Minnesota is a great state and Minneapolis/St. Paul is the hub of a really great metropolitan area. I can never quite figure out how we earn the reputation that we have.

You cheer for Miami? Cool. What is your opinion of Randy Shannon. His name has been thrown out as a potential candidate.

I like him a lot. He will get things turned around and is not leaving for Minnesota. Look we have had no players arrested since he has been here. Can you say the same? We still have a chance at the ACC title. Some Miami fans only want national titles and those guys tend to be the loudest. Our Oline play and LB play have been our biggest issues.

The strange thing is that I think all of us think that way at least a little bit, even though we all live here by choice.

Not in the slightest! I've spent the last year dreaming of my next MN/WI visit. Eventually I'd like to move to Duluth, if it doesn't get too crowded over the next 20 years.

Miami-nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. When I think of miami I think of crime and humidity!

Miami-nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. When I think of miami I think of crime and humidity!

Yea thats like from the 80's You watched the 30 for 30 too many times. There are places in the TC i don't want to go.

It's those damn Coen brothers and their movie "Fargo!" And Garrison Keillor with PHC.

Seriously, Minnesota is a great state and Minneapolis/St. Paul is the hub of a really great metropolitan area. I can never quite figure out how we earn the reputation that we have.

We have this weird Minnesota humility. In Wisconsin, they will put up a tourist trap at the drop of a hat. In Minnesota, we say "oh, no one would want to see that..." I liked the "Minneapple" slogan Minneapolis had. But it wasn't humble enough. We have more live theater capacity than any city except NYC, live threater is huge here. It seems the only tourism we will promote is hunting and fishing. Don't get me wrong, these are fine things, but we have more we could promote, but we seem to want to promote a Little House on the Prairie image.

Yea thats like from the 80's You watched the 30 for 30 too many times. There are places in the TC i don't want to go.

I've lived down in Miami. The worst neighborhoods in Minneapolis would seem pretty safe in Miami.

Top Bottom