We got Out Coached Big Time

alchemy2u

Reaction score
The Gophers have a good team, but this is the second time (vs Iowa and vs Wisc) that we got out coached. Both of those teams threw the kitchen sink at us with "out of character" offensive plays. Wisc is running reverses, going on 4th downs, passing against tendencies, etc to win. We just stick to our old tendencies and don't mix up the play enough and got conservative on offense.

I was happy earlier in the season when it looked like the coaches trusted the kids enough to make plays and win games. We have to move to that next level where we pull out all of the stops to win every game. It is what makes some good teams great. When they can grab the momentum by doing the unexpected and pull out some of those underdog games.

We lost the second we punted on 4th and 2 from the 34.
This changed momentum of game. Not sure why Gophers punted. Wisconsin had a great gameplan, knew when we would blitz controlled line of scrimmage. Not our Day today. Oh well.

That's when everything changed! Gutless decision!
Yes, had that single decision been different, regardless of if we had been successful getting the 1st down, we likely would be winning now.

RPO has been bread and butter all year long. We found in week 4 or 5 and it picked up major steam. Before that, we weren’t exactly clicking even though 3-0

I half wonder on a game like this where it was nonstop blitzes if we would have been better off without the run-fake (as they didn’t respect it anyway). Seemingly every play was rush 7 with quarters coverage. Can’t help but think receivers were 1 on 1 every damn play. We just couldn’t get it to them fast enough

We got outplayed in every phase of the game. Wisconsin was simply better. They owned the line of scrimmage, they were better at the skill positions and they easily out coached us. We turned it over, we failed to go for the throat, we failed to respond when punched in the face. Easily our worst game since last year.

100%. Uncle Mo was on our side.

Wasnt even just the fact we punted.

We ran two straight shot gun run plays right before it needing 2 damn yards. Conservative and cowardly.
Have we let SG pass yet this season. Sure would have been a nice day to bust that out (4th and 2 or otherwise in the first half).

100%. Uncle Mo was on our side.

Wasnt even just the fact we punted.

We ran two straight shot gun run plays right before it needing 2 damn yards. Conservative and cowardly.
Horsechit. Inexcusable. indefensible.
Cowardly is the right word.
Entire state comes out and that’s the bullchit you pull?

Horsechit. Inexcusable. indefensible.
Cowardly is the right word.
Entire state comes out and that’s the bullchit you pull?

Disagree. One play made no difference. We didn't show up after the first touchdown. We expected them to roll over and like a good championship team they punched back. They stuck to their game plan and it was superior to ours.

Disagree. One play made no difference. We didn't show up after the first touchdown. We expected them to roll over and like a good championship team they punched back. They stuck to their game plan and it was superior to ours.
Stupid to expect them to roll over.
Thought the Iowa game taught us that lesson. Or the second half of PSU.

Out coaches can go to bed knowing that in the biggest game of their lives, they punted from the WI 34, up 7-0, with the wind at their backs.Their opponents did the opposite.

After that punt, we forced a fumble. You can also argue that Morgan's interception changed the game. I agree we should have gone for it, but the game didn't turn on a dime.

Going up by two scores puts Wisconsin in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable position.
Fleck was afraid to be a legend.

I don’t know that they were outcoached. Wisconsin’s defense was really good, and their offense has been playing well. May just be better overall at this point.

Overall, a good year for the Gophers. Won the games they should have, plus Penn State. Lose a lot of good defensive players and schedule won’t be as forgiving next few years. Will be interesting to see next steps of the program.

After that punt, we forced a fumble. You can also argue that Morgan's interception changed the game. I agree we should have gone for it, but the game didn't turn on a dime.
Pretty much this. I was disappointed MN didn't go for it as well, but that wasn't the difference. The D played well early in the game, and with the weather there was reason to believe this would be a really low scoring game (and in fact, it was only 10-7 at the half). Field position matters in a game like that, so the staff took a calculated risk. Probably wrong, yes, but if you get stuffed there on 4th would we see this outrage? The way MN ran the ball early, there was a good shot it gets stuffed.

Wisconsin had a great gameplan. They schemed up 4 or 5 wrinkles on O to get matchups and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them worked to perfection. They schemed up a D to get pressure up the middle while pressing our WRs and it worked 85% of the time and really rattled Morgan. Pretty much the worst game imaginable. Sucks.

Wisc was aggressive bringing their safeties up and loading the box. Gophers kept trying to run it. Kept waiting for them to fake the run and pass. It seemed like it never happened at least in the first half. Disappointing end to a really fun season. Not bad for a team picked to finish 5th in the BT west.

I just want to be clear that punting on 4th & 2 against the Badgers cost us the game in the same way Fleck running on the field at Kinnick cost us the Iowa game?

I wasn't a fan of the punt, but I had low confidence we were going to convert so to me it felt like it was going to be a shift of momentum either way.

Our defense couldn't handle WI and WI did a great job calling plays to keep us off track.

I just want to be clear that punting on 4th & 2 against the Badgers cost us the game in the same way Fleck running on the field at Kinnick cost us the Iowa game?

Similar to how uniform choice affects the outcome as well.

We got outplayed in every phase of the game. Wisconsin was simply better. They owned the line of scrimmage, they were better at the skill positions and they easily out coached us. We turned it over, we failed to go for the throat, we failed to respond when punched in the face. Easily our worst game since last year.

Wisc. Was much better in Mpls in 2019 than they were in Madison in 2018.

I actually think the Gopher game plan was solid, they played a little conservative on offense and sold out to stop JT (and held him to 76 yards) and put the game in Coan's hands in bad weather against our DB talent, going into the game I 100% buy into that plan. Just didn't work, WI flat out beat us.

I actually think the Gopher game plan was solid, they played a little conservative on offense and sold out to stop JT (and held him to 76 yards) and put the game in Coan's hands in bad weather against our DB talent, going into the game I 100% buy into that plan. Just didn't work, WI flat out beat us.

The thing that bugged me was the lack of defensive adjustment at the half. They burned us on the screen multiple times on 3rd and Minnesota just kept blitzing. Drove me crazy.

Something in their head needs to stop and say, "Oh, they've solved this, lets throw something new at them."

Instead, they ran it repeatedly and ended up getting burned for like 40 yards on a screen when they were already down 2 scores. That looked pretty bad.

Top Bottom