We got Out Coached Big Time

I don't really disagree with a lot of the sentiment, but it's hilarious that it's coming from a staunch RICHARD PITINO defender.

Very good points in this thread. One example is on the long TD to Cephus, it was a first down throw which is completely out of character for our offense. They got him matched up on Barber and it was over.

Coan is also much better than given credit for, even by our fan base. He completes 73 percent of his passes. Not bad.

The Gophers running game sets up their whole offense. It is not the other way around, even with the amazing skill players the Gophers have. Shutting that down is the key to beating the Gophers. They did that today.

I think the program is still in good shape and it wasn't just a mater of Sconny being hot today.

In college football, you need to take risks if your normal plans are not working, you see it with all of the successful teams. Both Iowa and Wisconsin were afraid of how we have been playing and devised schemes that were "outside the box" in order to set up mismatches. We had stopped their bread and butter running game, so they went to the passing attack and misdirection plays to get us guessing. The line adjustments before the snap obviously confused our defense. We didn't use our TE's on quick hitting passes. We basically just lined up and ran our normal plays. It is something we will develop in next year.

It is just so disappointing to have the fricking skunks take our axe and go to the championship game!

There were a couple crucial places where the play calling was obviously influenced by having an unreliable running game. The 2019 Gophers were a weak running team against South Dakota St and it persisted most of the season. A few bad opponents made it look OK but this team wasn’t doing much better than 3 YPC against upper division teams and it’s hard to win consistently like that. It’s the focus area for the offseason.

Pretty much this. I was disappointed MN didn't go for it as well, but that wasn't the difference. The D played well early in the game, and with the weather there was reason to believe this would be a really low scoring game (and in fact, it was only 10-7 at the half). Field position matters in a game like that, so the staff took a calculated risk. Probably wrong, yes, but if you get stuffed there on 4th would we see this outrage? The way MN ran the ball early, there was a good shot it gets stuffed.

Wisconsin had a great gameplan. They schemed up 4 or 5 wrinkles on O to get matchups and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them worked to perfection. They schemed up a D to get pressure up the middle while pressing our WRs and it worked 85% of the time and really rattled Morgan. Pretty much the worst game imaginable. Sucks.
Yes, they dialed up better plays on offense and defense. They outsmarted the Gophers. Also, their O-line gave their QB protection so he hit on 66% of his passes, while Morgan was harried all day and didn't do much better than 50%. They beat us with their passing game.

100%. Uncle Mo was on our side.

Wasnt even just the fact we punted.

We ran two straight shot gun run plays right before it needing 2 damn yards. Conservative and cowardly.

Pretty sure we run just about every play out of shotgun.

If a football team does not have a good four man pass rush there is nothing they can do that does not expose them to being "out coached". There is no safe or sure response to poor four man rush. Period. Don't pretend that single most important factor in winning big games does not exist.

You're missing the point. They were calling screens to take advantage of the crashing defensive ends / LBs. They threw it right over the top of them into the vacated space. All Minnesota has to do is stop going downhill off the snap and that play fails 10/10 times.

It had nothing to do w/ not getting home. It had everything to do w/ Wisconsin being ready for the blitz, because they had watched Minnesota's film, and had a plan.

It's Minnesota's job to figure that out and change their approach.

RPO has been bread and butter all year long. We found in week 4 or 5 and it picked up major steam. Before that, we weren’t exactly clicking even though 3-0

I half wonder on a game like this where it was nonstop blitzes if we would have been better off without the run-fake (as they didn’t respect it anyway). Seemingly every play was rush 7 with quarters coverage. Can’t help but think receivers were 1 on 1 every damn play. We just couldn’t get it to them fast enough
My son and I were talking about just skipping the fake handoffs because they paid no attention to them. He thought they did it that way because that is the way they practice it. I agree ... that extra fraction of a second to see your receiver would help with the pressure we were seeing.

Somewhere ... since last year we have turned into a finesse team on offense. We used to run to set up our pass. Now we pass to set up our run. Our pass game was not consistent against the Badgers so we were never able to set up the run. I really think the weather conditions hurt the Gophers a lot more than the Badgers. The Gophers rely on a different type of passing game than the Badgers had and the weather affected them more than Badgers (IMO).

You're missing the point. They were calling screens to take advantage of the crashing defensive ends / LBs. They threw it right over the top of them into the vacated space. All Minnesota has to do is stop going downhill off the snap and that play fails 10/10 times.

It had nothing to do w/ not getting home. It had everything to do w/ Wisconsin being ready for the blitz, because they had watched Minnesota's film, and had a plan.

You are right, I have no idea what you are writing about. "Change their approach" to what? But, I suspect you have no idea what you are writing about either. I repeat, if you have a poor four man rush and you do not want to blitz and you do not want to try a three man rush dropping back eight, what else is left? Nothing.

The Gophs need to blitz to get pressure on the QB because the DL isn't strong enough to do it themselves. See the 1st half of the Iowa game. To "figure that out" requires more recruiting and developing. That can't be done during the game.

The thing that bugged me was the lack of defensive adjustment at the half. They burned us on the screen multiple times on 3rd and Minnesota just kept blitzing. Drove me crazy.

Something in their head needs to stop and say, "Oh, they've solved this, lets throw something new at them."

Instead, they ran it repeatedly and ended up getting burned for like 40 yards on a screen when they were already down 2 scores. That looked pretty bad.
They got 70 on one of those screens about 4 minutes into the 4th. That was really hard to watch.

They got 70 on one of those screens about 4 minutes into the 4th. That was really hard to watch.
You could see that screen was going for big yards before the pass was complete. There were two Gophers out there. Three Badger linemen ... two other Badgers. One Badger lineman kept looking for someone to block but there were no Gophers there to block.

You could see that screen was going for big yards before the pass was complete. There were two Gophers out there. Three Badger linemen ... two other Badgers. One Badger lineman kept looking for someone to block but there were no Gophers there to block.

Yep. I honestly thought it was another TD.

Again, please tell us what that half time adjustment should have been? I know of three ways to pressure the enemy QB. We have tried all three this season all and all three have been defeated by either Iowa or Wisconsin. We have not been able to "adjust" to that cruel reality. We need better D line PLAYERS than what we have.

Again, please tell us what that half time adjustment should have been? I know of three ways to pressure the enemy QB. We have tried all three this season all and all three have been defeated by either Iowa or Wisconsin. We have not been able to "adjust" to that cruel reality. We need better D line PLAYERS than what we have.
Completely missing the point. Go watch those screens, especially that one. Pressuring the QB was not the issue with that play.

Completely missing the point. Go watch those screens, especially that one. Pressuring the QB was not the issue with that play.

Of course it was, that is the whole point of a blitz. Tell us, how do you want to get pressure on the QB when you do not have a four man rush?

Wisconsin got away with a half dozen PIs, but our defense ultimately didn’t play well enough to win even if those had been called. They were out for revenge and we couldn’t stop their lines. Future is bright, but this game sucked.

What pissed me off, is they waited till the second half of the fourth quarter to call anything holding or PI. It was a d@mn insult to make those calls then. Should have just let the game mercifully end. Those "make up calls" were crap. Not a knock on Wisconsin. They played well. My knock is on the refs. Either let the players play, or not.

After Kamal Martin got hurt, he was clearly a liability to the defense...on tv you could see him limping like crazy during plays...to say he was at 75% would be generous. Doesn't matter that he's "a senior playing his last home game." This should have been easy for coaches to see and put him on the sideline. Oliver/Sori-Marrin would have helped us more.

You are right, I have no idea what you are writing about. "Change their approach" to what? But, I suspect you have no idea what you are writing about either. I repeat, if you have a poor four man rush and you do not want to blitz and you do not want to try a three man rush dropping back eight, what else is left? Nothing.

Holy crap. You don't bring pressure against a probable screen.
If you bring pressure then you give them space for the outlet.

Minnesota brought pressure on virtually every third and 4+ this season, to the point where we had a personnel package that was literally _only_ used to go downhill. They didn't do anything else all year.

Wisconsin looked at that and said, "Okay, we're just gonna gash you in the screen game."

They did it all through the first half, at the end of the first half, Rossi should have taken that into account, but he didn't.

That is why it went from a game to a blowout in the second half.

What really killed me was that Iowa did the same thing with their tight ends. People here ripped me for calling it a screen game against Iowa, but that's essentially what it was. Quick outlet passes over the top with receivers/hopefully a released lineman blocking out front.

Last edited:

Somewhere ... since last year we have turned into a finesse team on offense. We used to run to set up our pass. Now we pass to set up our run.

We pass to set the run when our OL struggles to run block. This really only occurs with teams who have more talent (PSU, IOWA, Wis). The reality is we need to parlay this seasons success into recruiting that matches or exceeds Iowa and Wisconsin

We pass to set the run when our OL struggles to run block. This really only occurs with teams who have more talent (PSU, IOWA, Wis). The reality is we need to parlay this seasons success into recruiting that matches or exceeds Iowa and Wisconsin
Yup ... hope that happens.

Horsechit. Inexcusable. indefensible.
Cowardly is the right word.
Entire state comes out and that’s the bullchit you pull?
I am sick of field position being the be all end all. Play to win don't play to not lose. Run some fun trick plays. The pros do it. Watch some old Boise State plays. They were fantastic. How about Johnson, the ex qb, throwing a pass? How about Seth throwing a pass? Come on!!!

Of course it was, that is the whole point of a blitz. Tell us, how do you want to get pressure on the QB when you do not have a four man rush?

Continuing...to...miss...the...point.

Top Bottom