We are watching a team throw everything out there and go for it

The venom and bitterness being spewed at a team that dominated MN is a true sign of a profound sense of inferiority that I thought was gone after a 10/2 MN season.
Old habits of feeling the little brother are hard to break.
On occasion I do look at Buckyville and find the whole obsession that one of the posters has with PJ infantile and the meter childish.

WTF. You complained about the bitterness, yet in your next post you posted an example of why fans should be bitter. Weird.

Last edited:

Yup. I still think the snow impacted how the refs were calling it (not believing the Goph receivers could make plays in those conditions without the clutching). Either that, or blind.
Yeah either the snow obscured their vision or they just didn't care. Either way, those things matter. A lot.

On occasion I do look at Buckyville and find the whole obsession that one of the posters has with PJ infantile and the meter childish.

Obsessed with PJ because he's threatening their tradition of getting beat by Ohio State.

I disagree. We were aggressive. We had a lot of passing plays. But we were NOT creative, while UW certainly was. There was probably a very big reason for the lack of creativity. I'll repeat it again, because apparently people keep forgetting - the game, while only shortly into it - was fully under control to begin.

It was 7-0, and the Gophers were driving to take a two-score lead. It was 2nd-and-3 at the UW 35. And then our biggest, arguably best/most important offensive lineman went down with a broken leg. Given the lack of depth at the OL position, given Faalele's clear importance to the success of the offense, and given that against good, aggressive defenses, PJ and company liked to use 6 OL sets to control the line of scrimmage and protect Morgan, then why do so many Gopher fans dismiss the importance of this injury to the trajectory of the game?

In future years, we all should expect that we will have a lot more depth at all positions as PJ fills out the rosters. But in 2019, that is still not the case. And with DF out for the bowl game, I'm not sure how that bodes for our chances there. We need to remain realistic about what this team can and cannot do given some clear limitations of the roster. That has as much to do with the gameplan and the level of aggressiveness as anything.

P.S. One of those six OLmen, Dunlap, was out for the Iowa game.
Everyone should read this post. Couldn’t agree more.

Everyone should read this post. Couldn’t agree more.

The game was most certainly not under control at 7-0 in the first quarter. Conventional wisdom and analytics-based philosophy both say GO in that situation

PJF is a lot of things, but he’s made several seemingly contradictory decisions this season in similar situations and to the common person may appear to be making things up as they go. Given our deficiencies on defense one would have hoped they had brewed up a more creative third (and potential fourth down) play in an attempt to at least move into more attainable FG range and potentially drive for a touchdown.

Losing a lineman (or two) should be an expected scenario at some point in a season.

Watching the recording of the game those defenses are very impressive. We have a ways to go to move up to a top tier defense. The good news is there is a lot of potential talent in the younger classes.

The venom and bitterness being spewed at a team that dominated MN is a true sign of a profound sense of inferiority that I thought was gone after a 10/2 MN season.
Old habits of feeling the little brother are hard to break.
[/QUOTE

Don't you have a deer carcass you should be making love to?

Punting at the 35 instead of trying to make a statement was a mistake. Do we score 7, kick a field goal, or get nothing out of it we will never know. We punted for 15 yards of field position? We needed to come out and show Wisconsin we are playing to win, we didn’t. We were passive against Iowa the first half and passive to Wisconsin. It’s almost as if we were scared to be legends. The offensive game plan against Iowa and Wisconsin was unimaginative and felt vanilla at times. Yes, it hurt when Faalele went down.

Punting at the 35 instead of trying to make a statement was a mistake. Do we score 7, kick a field goal, or get nothing out of it we will never know. We punted for 15 yards of field position? We needed to come out and show Wisconsin we are playing to win, we didn’t. We were passive against Iowa the first half and passive to Wisconsin. It’s almost as if we were scared to be legends. The offensive game plan against Iowa and Wisconsin was unimaginative and felt vanilla at times. Yes, it hurt when Faalele went down.
I agree completely that our offensive game plan needed some more creativity. And I fully expected and wouldn’t have had a problem if we went for it on 4th and 2. It was a call that could be justified either way. I would bet many of the same posters that are complaining about not going for it would say it cost us the game if we didn’t convert and Wisconsin went down and scored.

I agree completely that our offensive game plan needed some more creativity. And I fully expected and wouldn’t have had a problem if we went for it on 4th and 2. It was a call that could be justified either way. I would bet many of the same posters that are complaining about not going for it would say it cost us the game if we didn’t convert and Wisconsin went down and scored.

Not a single one would say that. If the conversion failed WI would be starting at their own 35 or so and didn’t you say the defense was playing well - fair to think MN gets off the field with no blood. The pro vs con of that punt call was almost all con since the strength of the team is the offense, not the defense (yet).

That must take the Blue Ribbon for the most clever bon mot of the day.

Is this thread full of the people that think all it takes to win is to run more jet sweeps?
No, but they do, surprisingly, know more about football than do the guys we pay to coach our team. Plus they much prefer those plays that work than those plays that do not. And if they favor a certain play they do not notice when that play does not work. Mostly, coaching is about "playing to win" and NOT "playing to lose":sleep:, keeping the above rules in place. Usually.

No, but they do, surprisingly, know more about football than do the guys we pay to coach our team. Plus they much prefer those plays that work than those plays that do not. And if they favor a certain play they do not notice when that play does not work. Mostly, coaching is about "playing to win" and NOT "playing to lose":sleep:, keeping the above rules in place. Usually.
Well played. I have to say, it took me a while before I caught on, but love your character.

Top Bottom