We Are Still Champions

My opinion, winners but not champions. I do not believe in a co division banner or NIT banner.

So do you think Minnesota should remove 11 of the 18 Big Ten Championships they claim? Only 7 were won outright.

Yeah, Minnesota should claim the West co-champion and put up a banner/sign. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State all claim divisional co-championships in years they didn't participate in the conference championship. This is the first co-champion year for the West.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_Ten_Conference_football_standings_(1959–present)

Even if we had outright won the division .... do we really want to put banner up and make it a thing, just to win the division? Winning the conference is usually the thing.

For all we know, divisions might not be around much longer.

Not at all trying to be negative, just being realistic: I just don't think it's very honest to claim a co-championship in the division, this year.

We didn't beat Iowa and Wisconsin. You're not going to win the division if you don't beat those programs. It doesn't seem honest to count wins over low end East teams to say that we had the same record in the division.
We did though.
It’d be dishonest to lie.

It’d be stupid to brag about it. But telling someone they’re being dishonest for telling truth is flat out stupid.

We did though.
It’d be dishonest to lie.

It’d be stupid to brag about it. But telling someone they’re being dishonest for telling truth is flat out stupid.
I would not call someone a liar for saying that Minnesota was a division champion.

A
If this was soccer Minnesota would’ve tied one game and not been co champs.

not sure I understand why you ripped on soccer there
And the U.S. was co-champs with the Vietcong.

Not at all trying to be negative, just being realistic: I just don't think it's very honest to claim a co-championship in the division, this year.

We didn't beat Iowa and Wisconsin. You're not going to win the division if you don't beat those programs. It doesn't seem honest to count wins over low end East teams to say that we had the same record in the division.
Yeh, so you would have felt better had we lost to WI early then beat NW during the last week while WI lost to Illinois?
Would have still been co-champs.

Every other Co-Champ in the history of Big Ten divisions are co-Champs but Minnesotans of all fanbases are too proud from a historical sense to call it co-Champion.

Dudes. co-champs is a thing. Nobody is printing up t-shirts or bragging to their friends...and if you want to turn your backs when the banner is raised at some point, feel free. Everybody knows Wisconsin won yesterday...thus the no bragging...but if they didn't want to share the the title they shouldn't have lost to Illinois.

Happy to have Co-Champion for the west division. Tough crowd on this board to deal with. As said above, we could have beaten Wisconsin earlier in the season. We didn't, but our record shows that we are co-champs. Right now doesn't feel quite right as we got beat yesterday, but as time goes on we'll embrace it more.

Dudes. co-champs is a thing. Nobody is printing up t-shirts or bragging to their friends...and if you want to turn your backs when the banner is raised at some point, feel free. Everybody knows Wisconsin won yesterday...thus the no bragging...but if they didn't want to share the the title they shouldn't have lost to Illinois.
You guys are the ones calling it a "Title" game! The Badgers won the title. So any ambiguity on your part is worthy of being mocked.

Yeh, so you would have felt better had we lost to WI early then beat NW during the last week while WI lost to Illinois?

Every other Co-Champ in the history of Big Ten divisions are co-Champs but Minnesotans of all fanbases are too proud from a historical sense to call it co-Champion.
I don't follow you.

My point is that "winning" the division without beating Iowa or Wisconsin, doesn't feel authentic.

I don't follow you.

My point is that "winning" the division without beating Iowa or Wisconsin, doesn't feel authentic.
Sure.
I understand your feelings.

But in any book where they track co-Champions, we'll be listed as one for the West.

Officially a co-championship. Period. You don't have to like it.

Tell you what, if and when they place a "2019" somewhere in the stadium, you can launch a protest against it. Some of you act like you've never heard of a co-championship.

Not too proud to display NIT titles. I want no part of a west division co champion banner. Proud of the progress we are making.

I’m not buying any shirts that proclaim us co-champions of the division. I accept second place.

If you go and look at Wikipedia and the Big Ten websites for 2011, 2015 and 2016, you'll see them showing division co-champions. That seems pretty official to me.
Coach said today, too. Gophers are co-champs, lost the title shot because of -head-to-head competition.

It's like some of you just become college football fans 3 weeks ago. :p

MN is indeed co-division champions as recognized by the B1G. MI was recognized as co-division champions last year even though they lost to OSU for the umpteenth time (season played out similar to ours this year).

Furthermore, the B1G championship game does not define the division champions. In 2012, WI played in the CCG even though they placed third in the division (OSU & PSU were sanctioned), though they did go on to win the conference. Nebraska & OSU were division champions, and WI was conference champion.

So, each year teams play for two recognized championships - divisional & conference - and those two are not necessarily dependent upon each other. Kind of like the regular season and tournament champions in basketball.

I love all of the keyboard warriors telling us this is made up and that the Gophers are "dishonest" for stating facts and whatever other garbage they spew. It is, indeed, 100% factual that the Gophers are Big Ten West Division co-champions. Period. It doesn't matter what any of you think, or what the University of Minnesota thinks, or what the university of wisconsin thinks, or what the Vadger fanbase thinks. It's the Big Ten's decision to make, and their thoughts on the matter are quite clear:

Your Coaching Staff and players have shown GREAT GROWTH over the last 3 years. And your football growth has been more than just baby steps

I'm with PJ. Baby steps. We are still Big Ten West Co-Champions no matter how you look at it. A few years ago we never would have dreamed of it. We had Gameday here. Freakin Gameday!!!! Corso wore our mascot head!!! Think about that. Nothing to hang our heads for. We are going to go to a great, not good, a great bowl game. And boys - we are going to win and we will sing the Rouser!!!!

You made me proud boy. Row The Boat. Ski-u-mah. Go Gophers!!!

Face the Facts stated-
I will take the Co-Champions, but I probably won't brag about it a lot.
BTW, if this was still Legends and Leaders, I think we would have won the Legends outright!

I will take the Co-Champions, but I probably won't brag about it a lot.
BTW, if this was still Legends and Leaders, I think we would have won the Legends outright!

TALON - Baced on where the Gophers started from 3 years ago you should be able to do a little bragging. There are a lot of G5 and P5 teams that have slid backwards over the same time period.

TALON - I wouldn't equate the Governor of Florida calming that UCF was the National Champions with the Gophers being Co Champions. UCF did not play in the playoffs and did not have as tough a schedule as those in the playoffs. The Gophers EARND what the got this year.

Claiming they are co-champions is on par with UCF claiming they won a National Championship.

Top Bottom