We Are Still Champions

Billy M

Reaction score
I'm with PJ. Baby steps. We are still Big Ten West Co-Champions no matter how you look at it. A few years ago we never would have dreamed of it. We had Gameday here. Freakin Gameday!!!! Corso wore our mascot head!!! Think about that. Nothing to hang our heads for. We are going to go to a great, not good, a great bowl game. And boys - we are going to win and we will sing the Rouser!!!!

You made me proud boy. Row The Boat. Ski-u-mah. Go Gophers!!!

I will take the Co-Champions, but I probably won't brag about it a lot.

BTW, if this was still Legends and Leaders, I think we would have won the Legends outright!

Saying you’re co-champions with the team that just kicked your ass doesn’t feel good.

we had two losses, they had two losses. We lost to Iowa and Wisconsin. They lost to Illinois (oops) and Ohio State.

I suppose, on paper. If the gophs had beaten Iowa they'd be champs despite being thrashed by the badgers, but still tough to say you're co-champs with the team that just kicked your ass.

There is a tie-breaker to go to the BIG Championship Game. In order for there to be a tie-breaker, there first needs to be a TIE. Co-champions have existed as long as competitive athletic leagues have existed.

Minnesota rightfully claimed a West Division co-championship REGARDLESS of what some anonymous GH poster says on here.

Claiming a co-championship rings hollow after losing to both Iowa and Wisconsin and then not playing in the B1G Championship game. Perhaps the kids can use it as motivation for next year. Right now, we are the team that almost won the B1G West, but lost 2 out of 3 to end the season.

Reactions: TAW

Did I miss something? Are both the Gophers and Wisconsin playing against OSU? If not, then we are not champions. The Gophers did well, but they lost the 2 most important games of the season, which really sucks!!

Don't like this take. We dropped 2 really important games against rivals. Our record is awesome. We are champions of nothing, though.

My opinion, winners but not champions. I do not believe in a co division banner or NIT banner.

The BT West Champion will be playing OSU. You are right, though, this has been a great season and a damn good bowl is in the future. Lots of fun for a few months. Haven't had this long of a run of good football in a long time.

There is a tie-breaker to go to the BIG Championship Game. In order for there to be a tie-breaker, there first needs to be a TIE. Co-champions have existed as long as competitive athletic leagues have existed.

Minnesota rightfully claimed a West Division co-championship REGARDLESS of what some anonymous GH poster says on here.
I was wondering about that - wouldn't we technically be co-champions, having identical records? The head-to-head was for the trip to Indy. Or does the head-to-head demote us? The B10 should issue a formal statement.

Ehh, are we sure about that?
If Wisconsin loses to Ohio State, and they will, they'll have three losses, but Penn State and the Gophers will have two, but Minnesota beat Penn State - so which of the three gets the Rose Bowl invitation?

Looks like some sites it lists us as co-Champs.

What's also strange is it list co-champs in other seasons even when the two teams played each other and one lost and one won.

That's a fact but I still not going to go around this week bragging about it.

I believe it is a co-champion officially. Personally I don't like it. We lost the head to head.

I'm not sure you are a "we".

The "we" refers to me being a Gopher fan for more than 50 years with season tickets for 20 plus years of that time in spite of living more than a 1,000 miles from here. It does not refer to me being a "I see only the rainbow above every dark reality" type guy like some on this board. I "lack" that ability.

This thread proves that soccer is ruining America.

It's the Fleckification of Gopher Nation.

Not at all trying to be negative, just being realistic: I just don't think it's very honest to claim a co-championship in the division, this year.

We didn't beat Iowa and Wisconsin. You're not going to win the division if you don't beat those programs. It doesn't seem honest to count wins over low end East teams to say that we had the same record in the division.

Top Bottom