We’ve got our DC!

Guessing it will be pretty difficult to evaluate his D coaching skills over one year - so much depending on the talent - just look at Rossis results this year. If it was his first year here at MN we’d have questioned his coaching.

There was a time a decade or more back we had a defense with players that didn’t know how to tackle. So, not being a defensive guru how do we evaluate his defense beyond the skills of the players (and just tackling)?

Good position coaches leave every program every year, to try being a coordinator.

It is the natural way in college football.

You can find position coaches all over the place. So no, it was not a big worry for me.
Of course they leave and can be found all over, but obviously some are better than others and they make a huge difference.

Someone who ran a very good defense at a similar level of program with similar levels of talent. Guys that could likely be HCs at P5 programs.
He ran a very good defense at a school traditionally very good at defense…. for a short time.

🤷🏼‍♀️

I think if we had hired this guy to be DC two years ago (in a world where Rossi leaves earlier) straight out of JMU there’d be much less complaining. For some reason people seem really bent out of shape that this guy spent two years as the LINEBACKERS COACH at RUTGERS, as if that somehow cancels out the rest of his resume.
Hit the nail on the head here.

precisely. evaluate based on merits, how they coach, etc. and not just where they've been. we all start somewhere. I do like that he's known for more pressure. Seems like this is the way that football is going in that you will get scorched at times but turnovers and sacks kill drives rather than having to be sound play after play after play waiting for the other team to make a mistake like we have been doing. Name isn't splashy, but like the concept change.
But, but, but then you couldn't serial post acting like you know so much more than the rest of us.

He ran a very good defense at a school traditionally very good at defense…. for a short time.

🤷🏼‍♀️
Five years isn’t that short. I dunno he seems like a pretty hot commodity, rumored to be the next DC at Colorado.

But, but, but then you couldn't serial post acting like you know so much more than the rest of us.
I have literally no idea how he’ll coach our defense other than that he was LB coach at Rutgers (don’t know why that’s a negative) and supposedly blitzed a lot. The other part was seemingly a general football trend with focus on takeaways/disruptive plays becoming more a focus with rule changes changing offensive philosophies. Sorry if that bothered you

Literally none of the guys I've listed have done that.

Disagree that is the valid definition. If Schiano likes you and thinks you'd be a good fit for the Rutgers program, you're a Schiano guy and you get branded if you accept.

In your eyes...not in most anyone else's because that is ludicrous. What if after Schiano he goes and coaches with Ferentz is he now a Ferentz Guy or is he a Schiano guy still?

I have literally no idea how he’ll coach our defense other than that he was LB coach at Rutgers (don’t know why that’s a negative) and supposedly blitzed a lot. The other part was seemingly a general football trend with focus on takeaways/disruptive plays becoming more a focus with rule changes changing offensive philosophies. Sorry if that bothered you
That was not directed at you as you were actually trying to have a thoughtful dialog. Sorry you thought it was.

That was not directed at you as you were actually trying to have a thoughtful dialog. Sorry you thought it was.
What is this?!?

Sir this is the internet, you’re supposed to double down and raise questions about the other users parentage….

So let’s get this straight. You believe PJ is an uber control freak but you agree with someone who doesn’t think so. Interesting take. Win win for you.
My understanding is we both feel PJ is a control freak on offense. He thinks PJ leaves the defensive OC alone to do his thing. I could agree to that but said I'd like to monitor it to confirm.

Top Bottom