We’ve got our DC!

Very excited about this hire!! Was FCS assistant coach of the year at JMU and had great results there. Chili getting warm for sure!!!!

Glad it wasn’t Lukabu. He just didn’t have great results at Boston College.

FCS Assistant Coach of the Year in 2021 as DC at JMU.

He fits the Fleck model of going with the hungry up and coming coach versus the experienced FBS coach. Not a surprise on the type of hire though most of us have probably never heard of him. He has a nice resume`.

and Rutgers will get an analyst and a grad assistant to be named later.

seriously - some bio on the new guy: interesting background including coaching in Germany and Austria.

Corey Hetherman is in his second season as the Rutgers football linebackers coach in 2023. Hetherman previously served as defensive coordinator/associate head coach/defensive line at James Madison and earned AFCA FCS Assistant Coach of the Year in 2021. A native of Oxford, Massachusetts, he also worked with defensive coordinator Joe Harasymiak at Maine.

Hetherman worked three seasons at James Madison as defensive coordinator (2019-21). JMU’s defense ranked as one of the nation’s best each season, placing in the top 10 in both total defense and scoring defense all three years.

• Hetherman came to JMU after spending the previous four seasons at CAA foe Maine (2015-18), where he led the defensive line and served as the defensive coordinator for three of his four seasons in Orono.

• Hetherman served as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Pace University (2014) for one season,

• Coached four seasons at Old Dominion (2010-13).

Hetherman also had stops at Northeastern (2009) and Springfield College (2007-08), and spent time coaching overseas for the Wuerzburg Panthers (Germany) and Carinthian Black Lions (Austria). He started in college football coaching at his alma mater, Fitchburg State.

A three-year starting quarterback at Fitchburg State,

I am curious why did Curt Cignetti not hire him for DC at Indiana?

Random, and a bit of a non sequitir, but that name conjured up a hilarious fictional character, Lola Hetherton, from the uber-talented Catherine O’ Hara on SCTV. She did a parody (homage?) of a 60’s/70’s sex kitten, Joey Heatherton.

Last edited:

Very excited about this hire!! Was FCS assistant coach of the year at JMU and had great results there. Chili getting warm for sure!!!!

Glad it wasn’t Lukabu. He just didn’t have great results at Boston College.
Lukabu allegedly doesn’t like recruiting either. Which is why he went nfl

I like that he has experience. Some of the names tossed around were a bit too fresh for my liking.

I am curious why did Curt Cignetti not hire him for DC at Indiana?
Fair question. I see Haines goes back further with Cignetti - all the way back to IUP. Assuming he has a longer/better personal relationship with him. Haines was apparently co-defensive coordinator at JMU but Cignetti made Hetherman Associate Head Coach. Never know for sure but you want loyal friends on staff if all things equal.

Love how he hires all these East Coast guys who are so easy to lure back East once they prove themselves. Brilliant strategy. Cultural Sustainability. Guess that's what happens when you hire a head coach whose coaching ties all seem to be East Coast. Too bad because there are an abundance or really good coaches with Minnesota/Midwest ties that may actually want to stay in MN for a while. Not saying this guy isn't a really good coach, looks like he is. Let's see where he is in 3 years.

Random, and a bit of a non sequitir, but that name conjured up a hilarious fictional character, Lola Hetherton, from the Uber-talented Catherine O’ Hara on SCTV. She did a parody (homage?) of a 60’s/70’s sex kitten, Joey Hetherton.
"I love you Sammy Maudlin! I want to bear your children!"

Top Bottom