WBB: Freshman Cannon leaves Gophers

The religious right are 100% Hippocrates? Really now. The ancient Greek physician would be very surprised by that declaration. Looks to me as if you need to get ON your horse and ride back to school. Try mixing a little spelling, logic, grammar and literacy with your flailing emotions.

yep, and you would be a person who defended slavery because in the bible it says having slaves is ok. Do you think Palin wants to stone her daughter to death? Because everyone knows she isn't a virgin and she is about to get married.

NateDawgUM, you really surprise me

Yeah and my poor little baby quit basketball because her black coach fell for her, scary icky black people!

Get a life.

Race has nothing to do with behavior. Nothing. No one l know would ever say that about Tubby Smith. The problem is inappropriately falling for a student, not race.

Hmmmm

yep, and you would be a person who defended slavery because in the bible it says having slaves is ok. Do you think Palin wants to stone her daughter to death? Because everyone knows she isn't a virgin and she is about to get married.

Originally Posted by Brew_recruit
get off your high horse, I was just pointing out the hipocracy of the "Christian Right" who act like just because the bible says that being gay is wrong then it is the worst thing in the world, BUT there are also quotes in the bible that say woman should do what ever their husbands say, that slaves are ok, if a woman isn't a virgin on her wedding day that she should be stoned to death, AND NO ONE BRINGS THESE UP WHEN QUOTING THE BIBLE. The religious right are 100% Hippocrates.

Looks to me as if you have a major problem with religion more than anything else here. Not even christianity because you are quoting the old testament. You may want to take some time to calmly study that issue and resolve it rather than let that anger play out here. Thomas Jefferson said to question everything, including the existence of God. Consider going about it the way he did.

You don't know unless you've lived it

All you self-proclaimed experts can spew your politically correct mumbo jumbo here but unless you've had a daughter live through the he!! of having the coach "want her", your hollow opinion means nothing. Just imagine what that does to an 18 year old kid, away from home in an unfamiliar place with no one she can trust to turn to. My daughter and our family has lived it (not with Borton) and I say if there is evidence of it, fire her ASAP. Not really different than a priest molesting young boys and they go to jail for that.

Looks to me as if you have a major problem with religion more than anything else here. Not even christianity because you are quoting the old testament. You may want to take some time to calmly study that issue and resolve it rather than let that anger play out here. Thomas Jefferson said to question everything, including the existence of God. Consider going about it the way he did.

I have no problem with Christianity. Most of my family are Christians. I just hate when Christians try and ram their beliefs down other peoples throats. Christians are all high and mighty about some stuff in the bible and completely ignore other parts.

PS. Christianity believes the old testament just as much as the new testament. They do just as many church service teachings on the old testament as the new. Its Judaism that doesn't believe in the new testament

For What it is Worth....

I have no problem with Christianity. Most of my family are Christians. I just hate when Christians try and ram their beliefs down other peoples throats. Christians are all high and mighty about some stuff in the bible and completely ignore other parts.

PS. Christianity believes the old testament just as much as the new testament. They do just as many church service teachings on the old testament as the new. Its Judaism that doesn't believe in the new testament

Christianity does not believe in the old testament as much as the new testament. That is why there is an old testament (covenant) and a new testament (covenant). Many of the things you are talking about that have you upset are NOT part of the new testament (ritual laws, ceremonial laws, dietary laws, social laws, the understanding of the commandments, etc. etc.). Big big difference. Take some time read about this. Sounds as if you have been around some people that make you hate christianity. Not everyone is that way about their faith, you know. I agree that Judaism does not believe Christ was the Messiah, but that the Messiah is yet to come.

DO YOU WANT ME TO KEEP GOING!!!!

Yes, please do and while you're at it please explain the purpose of the Law.

Romans 1:18-22

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools.

So you are also convicted in verse 32

who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

By giving your approval to their behavior.

Have you heard His voice Brewrecruit?

I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

Do you know the parable of the wedding feast?

Let me preface by saying I've always appreciated your posts here and I generally try and keep the tone of my posts low key.

That said, I have to respond to your post by saying so flocking what? That fact that it happened with one particular coach 15 years ago doesn't have any bearing on the MN situation unless you have something to prove this is the same situation. You can also probably find a number of lesbian coaches who lost players because the coach was incompetent, overbearing, lazy or other reasons that have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

I'm just pointing out that it's happened before and the "theory" may not be as far fetched as people may think. That's all. I'm not trying to start any fights.

Not really different than a priest molesting young boys and they go to jail for that.

You're joking, right?

Equating sexual advances toward an adult woman with having sexual relations with pre-pubescent minors?

Um, yeah, they are not even remotely close to the same thing.

WBB: Freshman Cannon Leaves GophersI love it when the lefty progressives come out full force in defense when someone disagrees with the gay lifestyle. They get all worked up and call people names. Get over yourselves. NateDawgUM, akgopher, Frink, howeda7, rosevillegopher, mayihaveasota, Brew_recruit, and mayihaveasota are now the official GH thought police.

No, YOU are the thought police. Get over yourself. You find it acceptable when your side is on the attack, but outrageous when someone is on the defense? Textbook thought police activity.

Christianity does not believe in the old testament as much as the new testament. That is why there is an old testament (covenant) and a new testament (covenant). Many of the things you are talking about that have you upset are NOT part of the new testament (ritual laws, ceremonial laws, dietary laws, social laws, the understanding of the commandments, etc. etc.). Big big difference. Take some time read about this. Sounds as if you have been around some people that make you hate christianity. Not everyone is that way about their faith, you know. I agree that Judaism does not believe Christ was the Messiah, but that the Messiah is yet to come.

Then why when it comes to the death penalty, is the OLD testament verse of "an eye for an eye" used, yet in the NEW testament, Jesus denounces this teaching, it is conveniently ignored?

Or why when it says in the NEW testament, to love your neighbor as yourself, and to help the poor is that conveniently ignored? Or when Jesus says, also in the NEW testament, to not value material things, why is it the vast majority of people still chase that raise, new car, new house, etc.???

That is the issue with using the Bible, it can be conveniently used to say whatever you want it to say. The death penalty has stood for years in part due to it's teaching, in the old testament, of "an eye for an eye", but also in the old testament, not eating shell fish is no longer even taken seriously. And further, eating shell fish is a point that is never negated later in the Bible (in the new testament) as an eye for an eye is. The bible is not a religous book when it comes to politics / political issues. It is simply used to push political agendas, often times by both sides of the spectrum.

ANYWAYS. Back on topic. If the case is that the student left because the coach is trying to start a relationship or "come on to them", then yes, that is grounds for firing. Not because Borton is/ may be a lesbian, but because that is inapropriate in a working environment. If my boss comes on to me at work, or a professor, or anything regardless of sexual orientation they should be gone or at least punished. This is not a question about sexuality, it is simply her actions. If the Womens program had a heterosexual male coach, and he hit on or came on to a player. He should be gone as well. Most workplaces have rules in place for either gender boss coming on to either gender of employee. It's that simple.

ANYWAYS. Back on topic. If the case is that the student left because the coach is trying to start a relationship or "come on to them", then yes, that is grounds for firing. Not because Borton is/ may be a lesbian, but because that is inapropriate in a working environment. If my boss comes on to me at work, or a professor, or anything regardless of sexual orientation they should be gone or at least punished. This is not a question about sexuality, it is simply her actions. If the Womens program had a heterosexual male coach, and he hit on or came on to a player. He should be gone as well. Most workplaces have rules in place for either gender boss coming on to either gender of employee. It's that simple.

+1000000000000

It seems that the bottom line is, whatever sexual orientation Borton is, she isn't doing things the right way.

Then why when it comes to the death penalty, is the OLD testament verse of "an eye for an eye" used, yet in the NEW testament, Jesus denounces this teaching, it is conveniently ignored?

Speaks more of the equality of justice. Jesus did not denouce any teaching in the Law. Only it's understanding.

Or why when it says in the NEW testament, to love your neighbor as yourself, and to help the poor is that conveniently ignored?

Because we live in a Godless world. The more people push God out of their lives, our homes, our schools, our politics, etc, the worse off we will become.

Or when Jesus says, also in the NEW testament, to not value material things, why is it the vast majority of people still chase that raise, new car, new house, etc.???

Aside from see the answer above the Bible teaches to not love these things. There's nothing wrong with having them. Money isn't the root of all evil, the love of money is.

but also in the old testament, not eating shell fish is no longer even taken seriously. And further, eating shell fish is a point that is never negated later in the Bible (in the new testament) as an eye for an eye is.

Lol. What is it with people and the " shellfish " argument. Of course the dietary law was abolished! Acts 15 - 1 Timothy 4:1, 3-5

Gay coaches, Bi Coaches, Straight Coaches

Who gives a crap about the sexual orientation of a basketball coach? They aren't teaching sex ed.

The only thing inappropriate about the sexual orientation of ANY coach would be if the coach made advances on a player, and it would be the same problem if it was a male coach with female players, male coach with male players, female coach with male players, or female coach with female players.

I have not heard that this has happened at the U, so who cares? I hope Borton gets this thing figured out, and is able to maintain some level of competitiveness. Last year got pretty ugly.

WBB: Freshman Cannon Leaves GophersI love it when the lefty progressives come out full force in defense when someone disagrees with the gay lifestyle. They get all worked up and call people names. Get over yourselves. NateDawgUM, akgopher, Frink, howeda7, rosevillegopher, mayihaveasota, Brew_recruit, and mayihaveasota are now the official GH thought police. You up on your high minded soap box, just might not know what you are talkiing about. Sounds reall good and very superior in a diversity training class, but maybe not in real life.

Well, I had a daughter play for a lesbian coach and it was a nightmare when she "fell for" my little girl. She was petrified. It just ruined her life and she quit basketball. If she had not left some cell messages that were incriminating, she would be coaching today. Not all lesbian coaches handle themselves that way, but I sure as heck would not take the chance again. The AD (woman) had a problem with a male swimming coach pursuing a female swimmer a year later, and the AD said the nature of inappropriate lesbian situation was much uglier to deal with than the swimming coach issue. Long story and too ugly to tell in detail here. My experience. How many here would be comfortable with a gay men's coach at the UofM? Think that might turn a few recruits off? Sometimes people can be so into political correctness, so open minded, that their brains fall right out onto the ground.

Since when does thinking people should be judged by the job they do and the content of their character make one a 'leftist progressive'? I for one am nothing of the sort. For all the gay people I know I've never figured out what the 'gay lifestyle' is.

What happened to your daughter is wrong, I'm sorry she had to go through that. I hope the person responsible was terminated and/or dealt with severely. But to then paint all gay people as evil based on the actions of this one person is the definition of ignorance and stereo-typing

Race has nothing to do with behavior. Nothing. No one l know would ever say that about Tubby Smith. The problem is inappropriately falling for a student, not race.

So clearly if a black male coach had treated your daughter poorly you would not keep her playing for another black coach, but if that coach is gay, you would. Why? Neither have anything to do with inappropriate behavior nor excuse it.

Can we move this abortion of a thread to the off topic room...or is that just going to bring more whining from the Bible-Thumpers on the board.....

WBB: Freshman Cannon Leaves GophersI love it when the lefty progressives come out full force in defense when someone disagrees with the gay lifestyle. They get all worked up and call people names. Get over yourselves. NateDawgUM, akgopher, Frink, howeda7, rosevillegopher, mayihaveasota, Brew_recruit, and mayihaveasota are now the official GH thought police. You up on your high minded soap box, just might not know what you are talkiing about. Sounds reall good and very superior in a diversity training class, but maybe not in real life.

Well, I had a daughter play for a lesbian coach and it was a nightmare when she "fell for" my little girl. She was petrified. It just ruined her life and she quit basketball. If she had not left some cell messages that were incriminating, she would be coaching today. Not all lesbian coaches handle themselves that way, but I sure as heck would not take the chance again. The AD (woman) had a problem with a male swimming coach pursuing a female swimmer a year later, and the AD said the nature of inappropriate lesbian situation was much uglier to deal with than the swimming coach issue. Long story and too ugly to tell in detail here. My experience. How many here would be comfortable with a gay men's coach at the UofM? Think that might turn a few recruits off? Sometimes people can be so into political correctness, so open minded, that their brains fall right out onto the ground.

1. Sounds like your daughter was in a bad situation, and the school dealt with it. However, that really has nothing to do with the statement by the other poster that gays/lesbians are immoral, etc.

2. I am the thought police? Hardly. I was just pointing out that I didn't ask the poster for his inflammatory opinion about gays. He's welcome, of course, to think what he wants, no matter how ignorant I think it is. I wasn't on any soap box (it sounds like YOU are), and I haven't been to any "diversity training class." I work with, am friends with, live near, etc., people who happen to be gay, and I couldn't care less. Their relationships don't threaten me or my marriage in any way.

3. Oh...and your question about how many people would be comfortable with a gay men's coach at the U of MN? Actually, I couldn't care less. I'm sure there are people, like you, who would feel very threatened by that, but I think you'd be surprised by the number of young people or whom it isn't an issue at all. Just like gays in the military, one day we'll not even think of it as an issue. Most young people just don't think it's a big deal.

Who gives a crap about the sexual orientation of a basketball coach? They aren't teaching sex ed.

The only thing inappropriate about the sexual orientation of ANY coach would be if the coach made advances on a player, and it would be the same problem if it was a male coach with female players, male coach with male players, female coach with male players, or female coach with female players.

I have not heard that this has happened at the U, so who cares? I hope Borton gets this thing figured out, and is able to maintain some level of competitiveness. Last year got pretty ugly.

Perfectly said. Thank you.

dpodoll68 - try reading what is written

You're joking, right?

Equating sexual advances toward an adult woman with having sexual relations with pre-pubescent minors?

Um, yeah, they are not even remotely close to the same thing.

You spun your comment to fit your point, but of course I'm serious SFB. A coach attempting to have sexual relations with a 17 year old girl is no different that someone attempting to have sexual relations with a 17 year old boy. adult woman vs. Pre-pubescent boys and advances vs. relations were your additions, not my original comment.

Um, twist it like you did and of course they aren't the same. Um, Um, yeah, um really, just read what is written, not what you want it to say. Hopefully simple enough for you.

some of the people commenting here remind me of the famous Michael Savage quote "Its not that I hate gay people, I just hate how much they turn me on"

Leigh Gregory

The most important question about the women's basketball program is, where did former assistant coach Leigh Gregory go after just one season with the program? Leigh is one attractive woman, and will be missed on the sidelines.

You spun your comment to fit your point, but of course I'm serious SFB. A coach attempting to have sexual relations with a 17 year old girl is no different that someone attempting to have sexual relations with a 17 year old boy. adult woman vs. Pre-pubescent boys and advances vs. relations were your additions, not my original comment.

Um, twist it like you did and of course they aren't the same. Um, Um, yeah, um really, just read what is written, not what you want it to say. Hopefully simple enough for you.

Maybe you should remember what you typed before you call someone "SFB":

Just imagine what that does to an 18 year old kid, away from home in an unfamiliar place with no one she can trust to turn to.

Of course, a coach attempting to have sexual relations with a 17-year-old girl is wrong. But that's not what you said. Also, you're the one who said:

Not really different than a priest molesting young boys and they go to jail for that.

Again, I added nothing. No interpretation by me whatsoever. Pretty straightforward.

I really did just "um, um" read what was written. I didn't twist anything.

Is that simple enough for you?

The most important question about the women's basketball program is, where did former assistant coach Leigh Gregory go after just one season with the program? Leigh is one attractive woman, and will be missed on the sidelines.

Law School

That doesn't surprise me. Had the chance to meet her a couple times and she's a very impressive individual.

However, that really has nothing to do with the statement by the other poster that gays/lesbians are immoral, etc.

Lol, if you're referring to me I said nothing of the sort. I merely commented, originally, that it was an unacceptable lifestyle ( if you ask me ) and the posted Scripture indicating as such.

In the eyes of the Bible homosexuality/lesbianism is a sin. No more no less.

+1000000

Top Bottom