WBB: Freshman Cannon leaves Gophers

mayihaveasota

Reaction score
Incoming freshman Janelle Cannon of Wheeling, Ill. has left the Minnesota women’s basketball program for personal reasons. Cannon had been attending summer classes on the Twin Cities campus.

“We wish Janelle all the best,” said Golden Gopher head coach Pam Borton.

The Minnesota freshman class consists of four student-athletes, three of them already on campus (Sari Noga, Kionna Kellogg and Shonte Clay). Micaella Riche’ of Canada will join her teammates in the fall.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38666&SPID=3303&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204967868

She made the right move even though it was for personal reasons. We need a new coach.

crazy conspiracy theory of the day. The reason that so many players have left Borton's team lately is because she hooks up with the lesbian players on the team, and when they have a fight they leave the program.

How exactly does Borton still have a job? Is Maturi just too lazy to find another one? I honestly cannot think of another reason.

Joel may be content with Borton ...

But it's time to bring on Whalen. She can't possibly make as much as Borton does ($100,000 plus dollars a year) in her European Basketball endeavors can she?

Pam has squandered her Final Four Bump 2004 down to absolute zero.

Oh yeah I forgot Joel just extended Pam's contract last because he didn't want to risk losing her. My mistake.

P.S. The crap about Pam's orientation has nothing to do with anything...she just can't recruit.

Very Close to Truth

crazy conspiracy theory of the day. The reason that so many players have left Borton's team lately is because she hooks up with the lesbian players on the team, and when they have a fight they leave the program.

Her breakup with her HS coaching love interest from the south burbs was not so secret. I would not want my daughter in that program with Pam on the prowl. Kind of makes you want to take a shower with lots of soap.

Her breakup with her HS coaching love interest from the south burbs was not so secret. I would not want my daughter in that program with Pam on the prowl. Kind of makes you want to take a shower with lots of soap.

How come everybody who uses Brewster in their screen name is also absolutely idiotic?

Oh wait, that question answers itself.

Would you feel the same if Geno Auriemma gets a divorce?

I think Coach Borton's issues have more to do with culture on the team and why so many of her players plateau as sophomores and look lifeless on the court. It's too bad because Minnesota produces enough local talent to build around and the Whalen era was fun.

But, with the university stuck in an era where it has to count beans and with the potential of making expensive coaching changes in the more vital football and hockey programs, Pam and her multi-year contract aren't likely going anywhere soon. At this point, I can't blame a female for looking to play ball out of state.

Her breakup with her HS coaching love interest from the south burbs was not so secret. I would not want my daughter in that program with Pam on the prowl.

Lol. We've known several girls that have transferred out of a program, that shall not be named, because of the militant lesbianism of the coach. An unacceptable lifestlye if you ask me.

But it's time to bring on Whalen.

They're going to give someone with zero coaching experience a Big Ten job for their first position? Someone who is 28 years old, nonetheless?

Further, is Whalen retiring now? Last I heard, she is playing for the Minnesota Lynx. Have you heard something different? I'd be interested in knowing if true. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

WBB

Nate's comment pretty much says it all.

Borton needs to go because she can't coach offense and has no eye for offensive skills in recruiting.

I don't claim to follow the WBB team all that closely, but it does appear to be on a slow decline. That said, they made the NCAA tournament only two years ago. And this is a program that used to win 1-2 conference games/season not so very long ago. To assume whoever replaces her will do better is a rather large leap of faith. Her contract is also an issue, no doubt.

As for those wanting her fired because of who she dates, give me a break. And Lindsey Whalen? Good lord. That would be like the Men's team hiring Quincy Lewis. By all accounts a great guy, but that's still a horrible, horribe idea.

Hey, Dawn Staley started coaching at Temple when she was only 30 and still in the middle of her WNBA career.

I don't believe she had any prior coaching experience and took the Owls to several conference championships and NCAA appearances.

She parlayed that position into her current job in the SEC with South Carolina.

That said, Staley seems to have more of an innate, vocal leadership quality about her. I think Whalen could be a great coach (if she even wants to go into coaching) but would be better served putting her time in as an assistant.

I hate to throw a local legend into the fire as a coach only to see them fail. Still very curious to see how Hoiberg turns out down in Ames.

Lol. We've known several girls that have transferred out of a program, that shall not be named, because of the militant lesbianism of the coach. An unacceptable lifestlye if you ask me.

Don't think we did ask you....

Okay Rene Portland.

Okay Rene Portland.

Um, Rene Portland was forced out of Penn State because she was accused of discriminating against gay players. The exact opposite of what you are claiming she is. But, hey, don't let facts stand in the way when you jump in.

no one cares what bigots like you think

I was disappointed by this because she went to my H.S. and I was looking forward to having a hometown player on a Gopher roster.

Um, Rene Portland was forced out of Penn State because she was accused of discriminating against gay players. The exact opposite of what you are claiming she is. But, hey, don't let facts stand in the way when you jump in.

And Reserve posted -- "An unacceptable lifestlye if you ask me" -- which would be like Portland.

Romans 1:24-27

Explicit. Truth.

Leviticus 20:9
For anyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or his mother; his blood is upon him.
20:10 If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1

Ephesians 5:22-24

DO YOU WANT ME TO KEEP GOING!!!!

One more just for fun.

Leviticus 25:44-45
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property.

This almost exact scenario played out at Purdue back in the mid 90's when WBB Head Coach Linn Dunn was fired despite a career winning % over .750 and a bunch of conference titles. Ironically, they won a National Title 3 years later.

MnBoiler

Let me preface by saying I've always appreciated your posts here and I generally try and keep the tone of my posts low key.

That said, I have to respond to your post by saying so flocking what? That fact that it happened with one particular coach 15 years ago doesn't have any bearing on the MN situation unless you have something to prove this is the same situation. You can also probably find a number of lesbian coaches who lost players because the coach was incompetent, overbearing, lazy or other reasons that have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Hilarious - Thought Policemen Arrive

WBB: Freshman Cannon Leaves GophersI love it when the lefty progressives come out full force in defense when someone disagrees with the gay lifestyle. They get all worked up and call people names. Get over yourselves. NateDawgUM, akgopher, Frink, howeda7, rosevillegopher, mayihaveasota, Brew_recruit, and mayihaveasota are now the official GH thought police. You up on your high minded soap box, just might not know what you are talkiing about. Sounds reall good and very superior in a diversity training class, but maybe not in real life.

Well, I had a daughter play for a lesbian coach and it was a nightmare when she "fell for" my little girl. She was petrified. It just ruined her life and she quit basketball. If she had not left some cell messages that were incriminating, she would be coaching today. Not all lesbian coaches handle themselves that way, but I sure as heck would not take the chance again. The AD (woman) had a problem with a male swimming coach pursuing a female swimmer a year later, and the AD said the nature of inappropriate lesbian situation was much uglier to deal with than the swimming coach issue. Long story and too ugly to tell in detail here. My experience. How many here would be comfortable with a gay men's coach at the UofM? Think that might turn a few recruits off? Sometimes people can be so into political correctness, so open minded, that their brains fall right out onto the ground.

Yeah and my poor little baby quit basketball because her black coach fell for her, scary icky black people!

Get a life.

WBB: Freshman Cannon Leaves GophersI love it when the lefty progressives come out full force in defense when someone disagrees with the gay lifestyle. They get all worked up and call people names. Get over yourselves. NateDawgUM, akgopher, Frink, howeda7, rosevillegopher, mayihaveasota, Brew_recruit, and mayihaveasota are now the official GH thought police. You up on your high minded soap box, just might not know what you are talkiing about. Sounds reall good and very superior in a diversity training class, but maybe not in real life.

get off your high horse, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the "Christian Right" who act like just because the bible says that being gay is wrong then it is the worst thing in the world, BUT there are also quotes in the bible that say woman should do what ever their husbands say, that slaves are ok, if a woman isn't a virgin on her wedding day that she should be stoned to death, AND NO ONE BRINGS THESE UP WHEN QUOTING THE BIBLE. The religious right are 100% hypocrites.

Point out where I, in any way shape or form, asked for "policing" of viewpoints.

And for the record honyocker I have also stood up for Sarah Palin and John McCain on the off topic board when people started slinging unsubstantiated crap about their personal lives. I object to irrational slander regardless of political affiliation.

get off your high horse, I was just pointing out the hipocracy of the "Christian Right" who act like just because the bible says that being gay is wrong then it is the worst thing in the world, BUT there are also quotes in the bible that say woman should do what ever their husbands say, that slaves are ok, if a woman isn't a virgin on her wedding day that she should be stoned to death, AND NO ONE BRINGS THESE UP WHEN QUOTING THE BIBLE. The religious right are 100% Hippocrates.

The religious right are 100% Hippocrates? Really now. The ancient Greek physician would be very surprised by that declaration. Looks to me as if you need to get ON your horse and ride back to school. Try mixing a little spelling, logic, grammar and literacy with your flailing emotions.

Top Bottom