Way-too-early 2022-23 Big Ten basketball power rankings

nitramnaed

Reaction score

Per Saturday tradition

12. Minnesota (13-17, 4-16)​

What I like: Much like Wisconsin, Minnesota will have a pair of very watchable players in wing Jamison Battle and North Carolina transfer big man Dawson Garcia. Provided, of course, Garcia is granted an NCAA hardship waiver to play this season.

What I don’t like: If Garcia doesn’t get that waiver, this is all but guaranteed to be the worst team in the Big Ten. There’s a reason the Gophers played only 5 guys in their Big Ten Tournament loss. Old Mother Hubbard had more in her cupboard than Ben Johnson does right now.

I know Built is sure we’re getting the waiver 100%, but that would be soooo Minnesotan of us to have something catastrophic like that occur before the season even started. Just waiting for the notification that they’d like further information regarding a waiver to approve it.

I know Built is sure we’re getting the waiver 100%, but that would be soooo Minnesotan of us to have something catastrophic like that occur before the season even started. Just waiting for the notification that they’d like further information regarding a waiver to approve it.
There is no way that Garcia would not be granted a waiver. He left his team mid season to return to his home to attend to family medical issues.

And PLEASE let's get past this obsession with blaming everything that is not to our liking to being punished for being a Minnesotan. It is such a downer!

There is no way that Garcia would not be granted a waiver. He left his team mid season to return to his home to attend to family medical issues.

And PLEASE let's get past this obsession with blaming everything that is not to our liking to being punished for being a Minnesotan. It is such a downer!
Sorry Eco, it’s just not gonna happen until one of my major sports teams wins a championship that I can actually remember. I can only attempt to laugh at it in order to maintain my sanity.

we are talking about the NCAA here. quite possibly one of the most dysfunctional organizations in existence.

Look - based on previous experience, Garcia "should" receive a waiver. But, I don't trust the NCAA.
I'm going to be nervous until we get official notice from the Gophers that the waiver has been granted.

Yes, we all keep re-circulating the joke about the NCAA "Wheel of Random Decisions" for a reason, and that is largely due to years of experience with them issuing seemingly "odd" and "inconsistent" decisions.....

Per Saturday tradition

12. Minnesota (13-17, 4-16)​

What I like: Much like Wisconsin, Minnesota will have a pair of very watchable players in wing Jamison Battle and North Carolina transfer big man Dawson Garcia. Provided, of course, Garcia is granted an NCAA hardship waiver to play this season.

What I don’t like: If Garcia doesn’t get that waiver, this is all but guaranteed to be the worst team in the Big Ten. There’s a reason the Gophers played only 5 guys in their Big Ten Tournament loss. Old Mother Hubbard had more in her cupboard than Ben Johnson does right now.

This is kind of funny-
"Old Mother Hubbard had more in her cupboard than Ben Johnson does right now."

There is such a wide range of opinions on this roster. We had people here who claimed we didn't need any more players, that we have so many solid ones that we wouldn't have court time.

It will be very interesting to see what we have this fall. I believe that the roster is definitely an upgrade from last year....but Willis is a big loss and guard is the soft spot position this year...

we are talking about the NCAA here. quite possibly one of the most dysfunctional organizations in existence.

Look - based on previous experience, Garcia "should" receive a waiver. But, I don't trust the NCAA.
I'm going to be nervous until we get official notice from the Gophers that the waiver has been granted.
If you think about this daily for that long you probably need help.

This is kind of funny-
"Old Mother Hubbard had more in her cupboard than Ben Johnson does right now."

There is such a wide range of opinions on this roster. We had people here who claimed we didn't need any more players, that we have so many solid ones that we wouldn't have court time.

It will be very interesting to see what we have this fall. I believe that the roster is definitely an upgrade from last year....but Willis is a big loss and guard is the soft spot position this year...
According to Doogie, Willis is one of many who are scheduled to work out for the Wolves. Also, the oldest player on the list.

I’m in the group that thinks it is very dumb not to attempt to recruit two more All Big Ten players.
But, if we roll with the 11 we got and they All stay healthy I certainly expect us to be at least in the middle of the Big Ten standings. We have never stayed healthy however and we will have no cushion so I suppose 12th place is practical. Not sure why you’d set yourself up for that without the safety net of a full roster competing for minutes.
I expect Garcia eligible but if he wasn’t…oh my. We have two guys we pretty much know are good. Who is the third best player…after the summer it could be any one of 9 guys…why not any one of 11? We don’t know who will rise to the top or be available.

Last edited:

I’m in the group that thinks it is very dumb not to attempt to recruit two more All Big Ten players.
But, if we roll with the 11 we got and they All stay healthy I certainly expect us to be at least in the middle of the Big Ten standings. We have never stayed healthy however and we will have no cushion so I suppose 12th place is practical. Not sure why you’d set yourself up for that without the safety net of a full roster competing for minutes.
And which All Big Ten players were available? Just asking for a friend, he’s not sure who you might be talking about?

And which All Big Ten players were available? Just asking for a friend, he’s not sure who you might be talking about?
No idea…I’m playing the lottery with two more numbers, I’m networking, I’m visiting playgrounds and talking to people. But I’m finding guys I believe in. I’m developing athletes into an All Big Ten player because I have an eye for undiscovered talent and an ability to transform under appreciated gym rats.
I want two more chances to find the next
Rich Strike equivalent. I’m not playing safe, all worried I might make a couple of my 13 guys unhappy because they get beat out by some Draymond Green like guy who out physicals and outworks them.
No, I’ll play safe and have 11 is BS.

100% chance Garcia will play this season. 12th seems about right for this team right now.

No idea…I’m playing the lottery with two more numbers, I’m networking, I’m visiting playgrounds and talking to people. But I’m finding guys I believe in. I’m developing athletes into an All Big Ten player because I have an eye for undiscovered talent and an ability to transform under appreciated gym rats.
Rich Strike equivalent. I’m not playing safe, all worried I might make a couple of my 13 guys unhappy because they get beat out by some Draymond Green like guy who out physicals and outworks them.
Why do you think the staff didn't do that? If there was a good player that fit those parameters and wanted to be here, they'd be here. It's not just the coaches choice. Players have to agree to it as well. I think we took some shots on walk ons that can have a chance to play and earn that scholarship. I'd rather do it that way then commit 4 years to a diamond. We did that with Henley and JOJ imo. I think there are some fair criticisms of the staff, but working hard to find guys who fit what they are trying to do and not bending on that isn't one of them imo.

I've seen some pretty lazy takes on preseason Big Ten standings around the internet lately, just like how it's pretty clear that Saturday Tradition did about 1 min of research before writing that up. Though we all know rankings this early are a crapshoot, it takes very little effort to find out exactly why that bench "cupboard" was so bare last year. Not saying that they are wrong for ranking the Gophers 12, but the descriptions are pretty pathetic. There's more potential on this team then some are giving credit for.

I know we keep batting this around, but:

I have no problem with the Gophers adding two more players -
IF they can play, and...............
IF the coaches will use them.

those are two separate issues.

like it or not, it seems fairly evident that Ben Johnson is not a coach who is going to have a deep rotation. I believe Johnson said in an earlier interview that he wants to have a regular rotation of 7 or 8 players.

so, unless the team is ravaged by injuries, you're going to have 3 or 4 scholarship players who only play in garbage time. what is the point of having 2 more guys on scholarship if they're basically modeling jerseys on game night?

if you have a coach like Tubby doing the hockey-shift line changes, then yeah, use every scholarship you have available.

I know we keep batting this around, but:

I have no problem with the Gophers adding two more players -
IF they can play, and...............
IF the coaches will use them.

those are two separate issues.

like it or not, it seems fairly evident that Ben Johnson is not a coach who is going to have a deep rotation. I believe Johnson said in an earlier interview that he wants to have a regular rotation of 7 or 8 players.

so, unless the team is ravaged by injuries, you're going to have 3 or 4 scholarship players who only play in garbage time. what is the point of having 2 more guys on scholarship if they're basically modeling jerseys on game night?

if you have a coach like Tubby doing the hockey-shift line changes, then yeah, use every scholarship you have available.
I am going to go ahead and disagree
It is better to have a rotation of 8-9 guys than 10-11

But it is better to have 13 good players than 11

Undoubtedly the next Draymond Green is out there playing pick up games on a playground. That's where Izzo finds them.

Probably every team in college basketball at the division 1 level. Not very many bad basketball players get offers
Barely any give all 13 schollies anymore. Bottom two go to walk ons

Johnson must have Ramburg pencilled in for quality minutes if injuries occur. Sure seems like they are short a guard at the very least.
How dare you question the coach.

Ahh yes. That plucky draymond green type who was a borderline 5 star with offers from unknown programs like Kentucky. Hard to believe he found a spot as the 36th ranked prospect in the country.

Top Bottom