Was letting the clock run out at the end of regulation and going into OT the right call?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion we should go for broke. Take a shot or two, try to make something happen. Yes it wasn't a good wisconsin team, but it's still a potential win on the road at your rival. GO FOR IT!

When we hired Fleck I figured he was the type of coach who would over-index on big plays, some trickery, going for the jugular, etc. We haven't seen that much at all.

Go Gophers!!

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, I was ok with it, especially given the fact that we were down to 13 seconds and the clock running. We were out of time outs right? Can’t remember.

I’m fine either way.
Was happy we didn’t try to run it out right away. But 2nd and 23 after taking a sack I’m fine running it out.

I wish it had worked better

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, I was ok with it, especially given the fact that we were down to 13 seconds and the clock running. We were out of time outs right? Can’t remember.
We were only at 13 because we elected for the 10 second runoff.

The announcers harped on Fleck saying we were going to be aggressive in this game. In the first half we had Tanner punt from like the Wisconsin 35 yard line (worked out great, but conservative). We then tried to just run the clock out before halftime resulting in Wisconsin getting the ball back. Second half, we don't complete a pass in the 3rd quarter. Lots of run/run/pass. Hated the call to just go to overtime and said so in real time. Even in OT we go run/run/pass. The pass call was great and should of worked but the 2nd down run was never going to work given the look Wisconsin gave us. We were trying to win in OT without throwing the ball. I think you have to kick the FG in OT, but again we're back to a walk on kicker who was the 3rd stringer kicking a FG where if successful our less than impressive defense needs to hold the Badgers to a FG just to force a 2nd OT. Why not let Tanner thrown on 2nd down? We certainly were the opposite of aggressive in this game and it's been a painful pattern for Fleck that has been magnified against Iowa and Wisconsin for some reason.

That isn’t PJs way. Like it or lump it, it’s what he does. One of my biggest PJ gripes is his utter lack of hurry up offense when we need it. With that said, I was fine with the decision this time. We should have had the advantage in OT with their 3rd string QB in the game.

It was the right call in that situation. 2nd and 20 with 20 seconds against a very good defense. A bad result was just a likely if not more likely than a good result. And our kicking game is unreliable.

If QB gets sacked again and loses the ball it's win for Wisc....

It's also agreat time for Wisc to play psudo prevent and still blitz... let us have the middle and make the worst case scenario for us happen.

With the very limited offensive creativity shown by the oc, there was no way we were scoring any points before the clock expired. Hell, PJ even knew that, which is why he let the clock run out.

With the very limited offensive creativity shown by the oc, there was no way we were scoring any points before the clock expired. Hell, PJ even knew that, which is why he let the clock run out.
We run throwback for a touchdown but QB misses the throw

but we have no creativity so we lost

I hate to admit it, but when they played to go to OT, the first thing I thought of was Denny Green taking a knee. Fair or not, those are the kind of decisions that can stick with a coach.

Perception is reality.

I hate to admit it, but when they played to go to OT, the first thing I thought of was Denny Green taking a knee. Fair or not, those are the kind of decisions that can stick with a coach.

Perception is reality.
How can you think of that?
In the 98 Atlanta game Denny didn’t take a knee and gave up points right before half due to fumble.

If Denny would’ve taken a knee in the first half Minnesota wins that game in regulation

We run throwback for a touchdown but QB misses the throw

but we have no creativity so we lost
I didn’t say no creativity, I said limited creativity. Read closer! The fact u cite 1 play proves my point. Limited creativity.

I think it was the correct call in letting the clock run out after the fumble. Super young WRs, 2nd and 20, limited range kicking, a QB who just got throttled. It was the right call.

I wouldn't have been livid had he decided to go for it, but I believe he made the right call (gut and statistically).

Perception is reality.
I thought so too. I would like to know the data on road teams that win in OT. Especially after they just scored a TD with an extra point to tie it with a few minutes to go. Call me crazy but if I feel I’ve got a better than even chance of converting I’m going for 2 in that situation unless I’ve got a lockdown defense. Which the Gophs don’t. Better next year.

I can easily entertain both thoughts of view. My thought "live" was try to get the ball down the field. I wasn't a fan of the holding call.

I think it was the correct call in letting the clock run out after the fumble. Super young WRs, 2nd and 20, limited range kicking, a QB who just got throttled. It was the right call.

I wouldn't have been livid had he decided to go for it, but I believe he made the right call (gut and statistically).
This is correct.
I’d have been pissed if we knelt right away

That was hard to watch.....Morgan has to know he cant take a sack in that situation, get rid of the ball for goodness sakes.

They were going for the points until the sack at which point PJ decided to play it safe and go for overtime. I was ok with the decision after the sack, would have bugged me if they had just sat on it for the entire drive.

And as was pointed out in OT, they had the perfect play called for a TD but Tanner just missed on the throw, it happens.

I just don't think that other teams sit on the ball with 36 seconds and two timeouts remaining. Even at 2nd and 23 from the 27 yard line. Our conservative gameplay is just a joke. Run, run, pass. Take no risks.

It's bitten us too many times. Tried to run the clock out against Maryland. Despite having kicking issues....we take a knee and go to overtime where a decent FG kicker is needed.

If Morgan could have avoided the sack, or thrown the ball away I think were were still in a position to try to drive for winning points. After the sack, I look at it as a crap shoot either way. I guess I'd have called a time out and thought it over.

Last edited:

The announcers harped on Fleck saying we were going to be aggressive in this game. In the first half we had Tanner punt from like the Wisconsin 35 yard line (worked out great, but conservative). We then tried to just run the clock out before halftime resulting in Wisconsin getting the ball back. Second half, we don't complete a pass in the 3rd quarter. Lots of run/run/pass. Hated the call to just go to overtime and said so in real time. Even in OT we go run/run/pass. The pass call was great and should of worked but the 2nd down run was never going to work given the look Wisconsin gave us. We were trying to win in OT without throwing the ball. I think you have to kick the FG in OT, but again we're back to a walk on kicker who was the 3rd stringer kicking a FG where if successful our less than impressive defense needs to hold the Badgers to a FG just to force a 2nd OT. Why not let Tanner thrown on 2nd down? We certainly were the opposite of aggressive in this game and it's been a painful pattern for Fleck that has been magnified against Iowa and Wisconsin for some reason.
100% this.
Everyone knew we going to run on first and second down in OT. Why we did that I have no idea as we had successful passes on our last drive in the second half.

All of this is a continuing theme with PJ. See the Maryland game for proof.

Top Bottom