Was letting the clock run out at the end of regulation and going into OT the right call?

I just don't think that other teams sit on the ball with 36 seconds and two timeouts remaining. Even at 2nd and 23 from the 27 yard line. Our conservative gameplay is just a joke. Run, run, pass. Take no risks.

It's bitten us too many times. Tried to run the clock out against Maryland. Despite having kicking issues....we take a knee and go to overtime where a decent FG kicker is needed.

correct. Sad, really.

Fleck let time run off the clock without calling time out - had more than 30 seconds. He had time for at least two, maybe three plays. Go for it! Mason used to head for the locker room when time was running out at the half - bad psychology. Score if you can, especially since we lost an earlier overtime game when we COULDN'T make a field goal.

Morgan played like crap. Lack of confidence by the coaches to trust him not to F it up at the end of regulation and in OT.

Having seen a few Gophers games in my life, I feel like if we push the envelope in that particular situation, Wisconsin wins the game in regulation. I was ok with the call to run out the clock with the maladies occuring in that drive.

I think the single biggest thing that cost the game was losing Autman Bell on the kick off return that didn't need to happen. I was trying to find the Gophers offense's second half stats (no luck) but it felt like the offense was much more limited without CAB minus the gutsy TD drive to tie it up.
On a positive note the game was another example of the offense line and defense getting better. Mo had another brilliant game. Mike Brown Stephens had a little breakout game.
Next year with CAB, Jackson, and others like Brown-Stephens I think the offense will be good again.
The special teams have cost the team a couple of games this year, and must be improved.

Also had the Gophers won the game, I feel like Morgan's great little run on 4th and 5 would have been talked about more. I did not think he was going to make it as he zigged and zagged through the traffic. Too bad he didn't through that pass to the tight end on third down in OT higher.

Frost and Brohm run fun aggressive offenses with lots of neat plays. They would have likely gone for it. They don't win much. I'll take Fleck.

I think the single biggest thing that cost the game was losing Autman Bell on the kick off return that didn't need to happen. I was trying to find the Gophers offense's second half stats (no luck) but it felt like the offense was much more limited without CAB minus the gutsy TD drive to tie it up.
On a positive note the game was another example of the offense line and defense getting better. Mo had another brilliant game. Mike Brown Stephens had a little breakout game.
Next year with CAB, Jackson, and others like Brown-Stephens I think the offense will be good again.
The special teams have cost the team a couple of games this year, and must be improved.
Yes, they had nice run blocking schemes and execution for sure.

Did the offensive line give more than 3-4 seconds of protection? (look to wisconsins o line for comparison where it seemed like either of their quarterbacks had all day to thow)

While I may have missed it, it did not seem like they protect long enough for any play aside from slants or screens to develop.

As mentioned on another thread and previously in this one, that is why the decision at the end of regulation could go either way. I am not sure how anyone could be overly confident that the offensive line would not get blown up again while 'taking shot' down the field.

I'm of the opinion we should go for broke. Take a shot or two, try to make something happen. Yes it wasn't a good wisconsin team, but it's still a potential win on the road at your rival. GO FOR IT!

When we hired Fleck I figured he was the type of coach who would over-index on big plays, some trickery, going for the jugular, etc. We haven't seen that much at all.

Go Gophers!!
OT should have favored us with Wisconsin's QB situation. More bad than good was likely after the after the fumble.

Who cares about letting the clock run out?

He should have gone for two instead of the tie after the last touchdown! That would have been an aggressive move!

I was fine with them letting it run out. Risk was way bigger than reward. Get to OT and execute. They had a TD in OT and blew it with a poor throw. I do however agree with some people that believe Fleck needs to trust his players more to make plays. Fleck seems to fear the big negative play.

Who cares about letting the clock run out?

He should have gone for two instead of the tie after the last touchdown! That would have been an aggressive move!
And dumb considering there was nearly 5 minutes left in the game.

Gophersports has all those stats. 154 yards of offense on 34 plays. 10 points. Pretty much a copy of the first half.

Top Bottom