Wanted: 1997 Video Highlights of Final Four Game vs Kentucky

Is there a backstory to that or did he just happen to be walking by?

I was in high school at the time. Some of my classmates were pissed because they had a band trip scheduled for the same time. I believe they had just traveled through Indianapolis earlier that day.

The UCLA game was so much fun. Didn't Courtney James or John Thomas have a big dunk towards the end of that game?

Sam had a big breakaway dunk in the games final seconds.

The background on Danson is he was sitting in the section next to the Gopher students and they spotted him and chanted "SAM MALONE, SAM MALONE" and he came up and started cheering the Gophers on with our students.

Go Gophers!!

I remember two things mainly, from the Kentucky game. (1) It was clear all week long that Eric Harris was not healthy and probably would not have played if it weren't the NCAA tourney. Clem said all the right things, but you knew we had a problem going against a pressing team like Kentucky without (for all intents and purposes) our point guard. (2) I further knew we were in trouble when they did the introductions of starting lineups, and other than Bobby Jackson (who looked totally focused) our guys had stars in their eyes.

I wish they had the Minnesota-Clemson game on that site. That's the one I'd really like to rewatch. I was there, about 4 rows off the court, and Bobby Jackson's performance in the last 15 minutes or so of that game (5 min's reg, and two OT's) was incredible...moved to PG and carried the team PLAYING WITH FOUR FOULS the entire time, after Harris got hurt and Clemson had a rather lucky run to come back and force OT, then go up in OT.

I wish they had the Minnesota-Clemson game on that site. That's the one I'd really like to rewatch. I was there, about 4 rows off the court, and Bobby Jackson's performance in the last 15 minutes or so of that game (5 min's reg, and two OT's) was incredible...moved to PG and carried the team PLAYING WITH FOUR FOULS the entire time, after Harris got hurt and Clemson had a rather lucky run to come back and force OT, then go up in OT.
I was really wanting to watch the UCLA game because I was in Europe and missed a big portion when our satellite when down with a freak storm. I missed a good hour of the game when we came back from 10 down.

San Antonio

Q missed a big one and one or maybe it was 2 free throws that allowed Clemson to go down & tie it in regulation just before the buzzer.

One thing I remember about the UCLA game is Steve Lavin bawling his eyes out during the post-game press conference.

The charge in question happens about 47:45 into the video...

The 8 minute or so sequence after that was a lot of fun to watch though. Bobby Jackson brought the team back to take the lead. That reverse lay-up at the 54:10 mark was incredible.

I don't know if anyone noticed it, but there are little blue squares just under the video that, when clicked, will bring you to big moments of the game.

i want this again!!

i know its been posted but this is the 97 final four video. listen to our fans in the dome unreal this gives me goose bumps and it happened 15 years ago.

You mean the dipsy-doo?

Which arm did Harris hurt? I'm assuming his right. Looks like he had no strength in his arm on that blown layup that would've tied it at 51.

My 14 year old son (not to mention the NCAA) will tell you it NEVER happened. :)

Seriously... oh do I know what you are saying. That was such a special time and a great feeling. I have some great life long sporting memories of that season. The kinds of things where I can still remember where I was for specific games, plays, etc.

Oh, and I think you forgot or missed the link you intended to provide.

i want this again!!

What exactly is it that you want? Massive institutional academic fraud? The post-nuclear fall out from which we still haven't recovered? The stigma placed on the basketball team, by extension the entire athletic department, and by further extension the entire university? Yes, please - give me a double helping!!

It's mind-boggling to me how people celebrate these ill-gotten gains. This should be a shameful, let's-not-speak-of-this-again incident, and yet many in the fanbase hearken back to these "good old" days. It's nothing short of unbelievable to me.

What exactly is it that you want? Massive institutional academic fraud? The post-nuclear fall out from which we still haven't recovered? The stigma placed on the basketball team, by extension the entire athletic department, and by further extension the entire university? Yes, please - give me a double helping!!

It's mind-boggling to me how people celebrate these ill-gotten gains. This should be a shameful, let's-not-speak-of-this-again incident, and yet many in the fanbase hearken back to these "good old" days. It's nothing short of unbelievable to me.

It's kinda like the tour de france and Armstrong for me...Everybody's cheating and every major program has "tutors" helping athletes write papers....We were still one of the best teams in the nation and it was still a magical year that I won't forget. With or without the NCAA telling me whether or not it happened.

It's kinda like the tour de france and Armstrong for me...Everybody's cheating and every major program has "tutors" helping athletes write papers....We were still one of the best teams in the nation and it was still a magical year that I won't forget. With or without the NCAA telling me whether or not it happened.

Yes, I'm sure every single school had widespread and systematic academic fraud. Keep telling yourself that.

Yes, I'm sure every single school had widespread and systematic academic fraud. Keep telling yourself that.

The majority of major programs in both Football and Basketball employ tutors who (if scrutinized) would be found to do more than help Athletes study. Tutors writing papers for players wasn't invented by Clem and the Gophers and it didn't stop when Ganglehoff took her revenge. It happens in droves! I'd be willing to bet over 75% of the programs have tutors doing too much to help players.

How many classes do you think Calipari's 1 and done players actually completed on their own? But the NCAA didn't catch them and therefore their championship from last year is perfectly legit....

Condemning only the Gophers and 1997 is like condemning only Lance Armstrong and rewarding Jan Ullrich or Ivan Basso...they were all cheating and therfore the best rose to the top. I won't forget that season or any of Armstrong's 6 TDF Titles...

The majority of major programs in both Football and Basketball employ tutors who (if scrutinized) would be found to do more than help Athletes study. Tutors writing papers for players wasn't invented by Clem and the Gophers and it didn't stop when Ganglehoff took her revenge. It happens in droves! I'd be willing to bet over 75% of the programs have tutors doing too much to help players.

How many classes do you think Calipari's 1 and done players actually completed on their own? But the NCAA didn't catch them and therefore their championship from last year is perfectly legit....

Condemning only the Gophers and 1997 is like condemning only Lance Armstrong and rewarding Jan Ullrich or Ivan Basso...they were all cheating and therfore the best rose to the top. I won't forget that season or any of Armstrong's 6 TDF Titles...

If "everyone is cheating" (which is absurd and asinine to even think, let alone suggest), then apparently the Gophers just need to do a better job of cheating. Either way, they deserved/deserve to have the 1997 Final Four taken away and shame on anyone who suggests otherwise.

Define this "taken away" for me...then remember that the NCAA still has the game on their own freakin' website.

Either way, they deserved/deserve to have the 1997 Final Four taken away and shame on anyone who suggests otherwise.

There are some of us who believe the NCAA did the right thing stripping the U's 1997 Big Ten and Final Four banners, and are embarrassed/shamed (among many other words) about what we discovered about Clem/Gangelgate after the fact, but does that mean we're not allowed to have fond memories of what happened in 1996-97? I'm not going to wipe away some wonderful personal memories simply because the NCAA ruled it didn't happen.

There are some of us who believe the NCAA did the right thing stripping the U's 1997 Big Ten and Final Four banners, and are embarrassed/shamed (among many other words) about what we discovered about Clem/Gangelgate after the fact, but does that mean we're not allowed to have fond memories of what happened in 1996-97? I'm not going to wipe away some wonderful personal memories simply because the NCAA ruled it didn't happen.

My stance as well. It's not like we didn't have it coming, and it's ridiculous it went down. But man, it was fun during that time, and I would love to experience that again. Obviously the hope is, next time it's "legal".

It is very likely, with almost 100% certainty, that the Gophers don't even sniff the Final Four if their players actually had to go to class and do their own homework. Therefore, you are celebrating something that almost certainly wouldn't have happened if not for widespread systematic cheating. So anyone who waxes nostalgic about is implicitly condoning cheating, whether they realize it or not.

It is very likely, with almost 100% certainty, that the Gophers don't even sniff the Final Four if their players actually had to go to class and do their own homework. Therefore, you are celebrating something that almost certainly wouldn't have happened if not for widespread systematic cheating. So anyone who waxes nostalgic about is implicitly condoning cheating, whether they realize it or not.

How many Final Fours do you think Kentucky under Calipari or Memphis under Calipari would "sniff" if their players actually went to class and didn their homework? Don't be so naive! There are more programs like Kentucky in the NCAA tourney than clean.

One thing watching this game underscores for me....This year's team has potential to be better! We may not win the Big Ten, but looking back, the Big Ten was a little down in 96/97. This year's team could finish in 4th or 5th place and still make the final four.

Here are the pros and cons of the 97 team vs the 12/13 team:

97 Pros:

* Bobby Jackson! Basketball IQ off the charts! 150+++ The best point guard to ever play for the Gophers. He handled Kentucky press with aplomb. Most of the turnovers were committed by Harris, Quincy or other forwards coming back. Jackson could score and create and played scrappy defense. Dre Hollins has potential to be Bobby-esque and may be a better pure shooter, but his Basketball IQ pales (105 at this stage) in comparison to Bobby J. Dre sometimes dribbles himself into bad spots on the court, whereas Bobby was usually adept at avoiding uneccessary risks.

FYI. Jackson had 81 turnovers on the season. Harris had 60. Q had 49.

Harris also had a better FT percentage (79.2%) than either Bobby (78.6%) or Sam (64.2%).

Finally. Harris shot 35.1% (Bobby 32%), from 3-point land and had 11ppg in his JUNIOR year.

Harris was the point guard and was much more excellent that year than you seem to be giving him credit for.

Are you saying those men were too dumb to be legitimate student athletes? If not, what are you saying?

100% CERTAINTY? I'm 100% certain you're delusional.

Just STFU. You are free to not read this thread. I have every game from that tournament on DVD. I will relive those great games forever. I am a teacher and obviously don't condone cheating. That doesn't change what I actually lived through and experienced.

Are you saying those men were too dumb to be legitimate student athletes? If not, what are you saying?

I'm saying that it's more difficult to do your homework, go to class, and go to practice than it is to just go to practice. I thought that was obvious.

Wow this is a really stupid post. Nice try.

Top Bottom