Want to know why KFAN has a bad name?

there is not one of the main on-air personalities at KFAN that will talk Gophers on a routine basis.

I wonder if that will change if KFAN gets the Gopher broadcasting rights next year.

Best thing that happened to the fan as of late is Dark Star's appearances with Common... There is that.

And, just to show you how wide-ranging opinions on sports talk radio can be, I think the biggest waste of sports radio airtime in the market is the Dark Star-Common Man hour on Friday. Dark Star just spews cliche after cliche and never offers anything of substance. To me, it is an awkward and painful listen. But, I understand, it has to be somebody's cup of tea and apparently that somebody is madman of the Gopherhole:)

Minnesota sports is in his JOB DESCRIPTION! I cannot believe how unprepared he is to do his job. I mean we can rag on for not talking more gopher sports, but that is his decision...I guess. But, if he goes to trouble of booking an interview he should be a professional and do his research for god's sake. Think how embarrassed any of us would be if we showed up to work that unprepared. You'd think that he would realize that Gopher hoops is not his strong suit and be extra prepared. What a hack!

If not KFAN, then where do I go?

Tj, That's cool... I guess that's why I like Com and Dark... They work well off each other and it isn't always necessarily about sports. So my question would be to anyone out there. Is there another station in this town that does talk alot of Gopher Basketball, and if so, be specific... who, what channel and what times.... I need it.

I like Com and Dark.

I much prefer Common and Rosen. Rosen offers some actual insight and substance. Dark is just a cliche-ridden mess.

Is there another station in this town that does talk alot of Gopher Basketball, and if so, be specific... who, what channel and what times.... I need it.

My suggestions for Gopher talk would be to find out when Doogie is on ESPN-1500. He will usually spend a great deal of time on the Gophers.

And, the Tubby Smith Radio Show airs on WCCO on Monday nights. I think that runs about an hour.

Outside of that, not much out there that I've found.

I wonder if that will change if KFAN gets the Gopher broadcasting rights next year.

And, just to show you how wide-ranging opinions on sports talk radio can be, I think the biggest waste of sports radio airtime in the market is the Dark Star-Common Man hour on Friday. Dark Star just spews cliche after cliche and never offers anything of substance. To me, it is an awkward and painful listen. But, I understand, it has to be somebody's cup of tea and apparently that somebody is madman of the Gopherhole:)

Dark Starr is horrible. I have never heard him with common man but on the sports show he sucks. Those commercials he does are dreadful. I can't believe Grand View Lodge(a fabulous place) has him in their commercial. Yuk, yuk, yuk.

Old "he's hit hard" Lee.

PA does a great job with Viking football. It's all about the pros. Gopher sports is less than last.

PA's radio program is unlistenable since Dubay checked out but to claim Dave Lee is better play-by-play guy is absolutely crazy. Dave Lee and Tom Hanneman are two of the worst all-time announcers and unfortunately they both work in the TC's.

PA was disrespectful today. I don't care if he isn't a great "college sports mind", he should have been a professional and done just a google search. It's not even like it was in the pre-internet era when you actually had to do research. Nowadays, you have to type a name into google and that's it. The last few Gopher related topics have been so unprofessional it appeared on purpose and if it wasn't on purpose, it was the most apathetic journalism i've ever witnessed.

Pretty much my thought. I didn't listen but based on what's being said, it sounds like a lack of show prep, which really looks bad on him and how much work he really puts into it. I understand he has Vikings responsibilities, but my goodness, you know who your guests are gonna be prior to the show, just do a quick 5 minutes to check on some stuff you might wanna bring up and at least show some knowledge of your subject. If you're not gonna do that, then just don't even bother ask about it. Whether it's Gophers related, or any other sport related, do some short prep work before the interview.

I haven't been to a game in several years, but I still take the time to watch them on TV when I am able. I just don't see where a more positive stance on the University coincides with a poor show prep at KFAN. Saying Quincy Lewis was suspended for the Final 4 game is like saying Trent Tucker made the free throw that clinched the Big Ten Title in 1981-82 season. (It was Darryl Mitchell btw).

Paying attention to sports is what a host on a sports talk station should do. Barriero is 1,000 times better than PA, mostly because he admits his shortcomings in paying attention to some sports. PA just tries to gloss over them like he was wooing a girl in a bar.

PA is a dear friend, so no shock, I'll defend him... he states all the time that he doesn't folllow the Gophers all that much... he lacks a 2nd-voice on his show, someone who could've helped prep him better... but know this: P-Mac, Joe Nelson, Sludge, Gaardsie, and me, and others would not be where we are w/o PA... as helpful as anyone in this business... has a giant heart.

I much prefer Common and Rosen. Rosen offers some actual insight and substance. Dark is just a cliche-ridden mess.

My suggestions for Gopher talk would be to find out when Doogie is on ESPN-1500. He will usually spend a great deal of time on the Gophers.

And, the Tubby Smith Radio Show airs on WCCO on Monday nights. I think that runs about an hour.

Outside of that, not much out there that I've found.

Thanks... will add after my previous thread: among myself, Reusse (infinite knowledge w/ Gophers history), etc. bar-none, among radio stations, 1500 has the best Gophers coverage... and it's a blowout.

PA is a dear friend, so no shock, I'll defend him... he states all the time that he doesn't folllow the Gophers all that much... he lacks a 2nd-voice on his show, someone who could've helped prep him better... but know this: P-Mac, Joe Nelson, Sludge, Gaardsie, and me, and others would not be where we are w/o PA... as helpful as anyone in this business... has a giant heart.

doogie, pa should be embarrassed for that interview. that has nothing to do with his heart. or how helpful he is. those are mutually exclusive. so you are defending his inability to prepare for a simple interview? wow.

doogie, pa should be embarrassed for that interview. that has nothing to do with his heart. or how helpful he is. those are mutually exclusive. so you are defending his inability to prepare for a simple interview? wow.

Problems I see with PA are the fact that he has his hands in too many baskets to closely pay attention to all Minnesota sports, this problem could be solved by Clear Channel bumping his salary so he doesn't have to pursue outside jobs or they could hire another side-kick (which I believe they told him they were going to after Dubay) to help take the burden off. There are very few radio talents in this town, maybe only Barriero, who can create a maintain a coherent radio show without much help (nothing to do with his negativity). It could also very well be that PA spends money like a maniac to the point that he has to work all the time, which would then be his issue.

Doogie, I agree that his big heart is a great asset. However, it could also be his biggest liability. The key would be to balance it out. Having a second voice on his show would help, but would it they get lost under his wing?

I wish no ill on his show, especially since Dubay self destructed. He doesn't need to go down the Sid road and just become a shallow voice on the radio that is mocked and ridiculed, cycling through the latest up-and-coming media talent to maintain a high profile.

No one is saying that PA has to be a huge Gophers fan and start going to all the games. However, it is simply inexcusable to obviously do little to no prep work when you have a guest coming on. Be a damn professional. If you're going to book a guest, be prepared. Anything less is embarrassing, and he should be embarrassed for the quality of that interview.

PA's show is an absolute joke since Dubay threw his life in the dumpster. Abbott needs to get him a sidekick/partner, and quickly. It's funny for me to say now, because during the "Love Covenant" days, I hated Dubay and thought he was the worst excuse for a sports radio personality I'd ever heard. Nonetheless, 9-12 was appointment listening for me and I always had it on whenever work/life schedules allowed. I haven't listened, at all, to PA's solo dumpster fire in months, if not more than a year. The fact that they've lost a diehard like me speaks volumes to the quality of his solo effort. I'd wager I'm not alone in my sentiments.

I think it's pretty stupid too...I would never cheer for another college team but the Gophers no matter where I lived.

However, this stuff happens. And it happens a lot. My dad grew up in Chicago a Bears and Cubs fan, but having lived in MN for the last 30 years, he is much more of a MN sports fan now.

I think a lot of it has to do with the type of fan you are. Remember, on this board we are almost all in the "diehard" category. However, most sports fans out there aren't as passionate as we are - they don't go on message boards and the like. Therefore, they are more likely to be succeptable to switching allegiances.

But the "typical" fan is exactly the fan the Gophers need to capture. When the media treats the Gophers like second-class citizens, that is exactly how the average fan will perceive them.

It sounds dumb, but we're an exception to the typical fan. That's what most people on this board fail to realize.

Good points, I agree. I sometimes forget that a lot of fans are not as passionate as I am.

No one is saying that PA has to be a huge Gophers fan and start going to all the games. However, it is simply inexcusable to obviously do little to no prep work when you have a guest coming on. Be a damn professional. If you're going to book a guest, be prepared. Anything less is embarrassing, and he should be embarrassed for the quality of that interview.

Especially when it would have only taken him a few minutes to find out a little background on Q. This isn't 1980. We have things like computers, the internet, and google.

PA's show is an absolute joke since Dubay threw his life in the dumpster. Abbott needs to get him a sidekick/partner, and quickly. It's funny for me to say now, because during the "Love Covenant" days, I hated Dubay and thought he was the worst excuse for a sports radio personality I'd ever heard. Nonetheless, 9-12 was appointment listening for me and I always had it on whenever work/life schedules allowed. I haven't listened, at all, to PA's solo dumpster fire in months, if not more than a year. The fact that they've lost a diehard like me speaks volumes to the quality of his solo effort. I'd wager I'm not alone in my sentiments.

I concur with everything that you just wrote. I also laughed because I too felt that Dubay was by far the weeker piece of the two headed monster that was PA and Dubay. It was by far the best show on that station for a number of years. Dubay's passion for the Gophers was unparralleled and it was a highlight of the show. What happened with the show after Dubay's dismissal though has been a tailspin of its own.

I don't put all the blame on PA if there are things going on behind the scenes that are out of his control, but something needs to change.

I'm sure PA is a great guy and all - and it's good that he doesn't act like he follows the Gophers, but just because he is a nice person who doesn't pretend to know a lot about the Gophers doesn't excuse him from not doing prep when a Gopher guest is on. He works extremely hard covering the Vikings and doing tons of prepwork for them so it's not like he's lazy. He just doesn't care as much since his focus is on the Vikes and the work he does for them. I appreciate that he (or the KFAN program directors perhaps making the decision behind the scenes) is putting Gopher-related topics on the air, but at the very least he could put 15-20 mins of work into the interview. It sucks because a lot of listeners look up to PA and think he is a cool guy, so when he treats the Gophers like an afterthought that's how they treat them also.

PA is simply not knowledgeable on college athletics. He should stick to pro. The only publicity the U of M gets from KFAN in embarrassing either because it is a negative story or because the KFAN people are so inept they cannot get through a positive story without fumbling.

Without a doubt the worst interview I have ever heard.

I honestly would like to know what some of his guests think of him.
Someone should tell him to google all of his college athletics guests before he starts spouting off nonsensical questions.

Thanks... will add after my previous thread: among myself, Reusse (infinite knowledge w/ Gophers history), etc. bar-none, among radio stations, 1500 has the best Gophers coverage... and it's a blowout.

This is true. I loved 1500 in that short period between announcing that it was partnering with ESPN and actually airing ESPN programming. But if you want local, KFAN still has a near monopoly. (Soucheray doesn't count if we're talking sports.)

I don't fault PA or any other host for not knowing anything about a specific team. But why not have someone else come in as a regular guest for an hour a week to talk about that team? There are all kinds of Viking-related regular guests during the season. Plus LaValle E. Neal for the Twins year-round. PA can't get Tucker to spend an hour a week on the Gophers during the season?

A possible solution would be to get a former Gopher, like Quincy Lewis (who goes to most of the games anyway) to cover Gopher sports on a PT or per diem basis. KFAN should have enough money in the budget (Dubay is still in prison and off the payroll, right?) to cover a PT Gopher analyst.

For a "major" sports radio program, KFAN really sucks and that's why I don't waste my time listening to it. And if the PA/Q interview was as bad as described, maybe a little GH petition might move the PT Gopher analyst idea along the KFAN decision-making chain.

I don't fault PA or any other host for not knowing anything about a specific team.

Isn't this sort of part of the job description? I know you can't know everything about everything, but some basic knowledge and, as mentioned, The Google, would be helpful.

If he doesn't know anything about them, why is he interviewing a guest specifically tied to them?

And I like PA. But it's frickin' Vikings all day, every day and why I switch the dial.......

DOOGIE: Is there publicly available information on local radio ratings anywhere on internet? I'd be curious to see them.

No one is questioning heart here, they are rightly questioning his professionalism.

No... I am not... when it comes to preparing, and informative Gophers talk, 1500 is the place to go... hands down.

Isn't this sort of part of the job description? I know you can't know everything about everything, but some basic knowledge and, as mentioned, The Google, would be helpful.

If he doesn't know anything about them, why is he interviewing a guest specifically tied to them?

And I like PA. But it's frickin' Vikings all day, every day and why I switch the dial.......

DOOGIE: Is there publicly available information on local radio ratings anywhere on internet? I'd be curious to see them.

Check redandnater.com for ratings... KFAN still does fine, and bottom-line, generates revenue... PA's ratings (helps that he has no local competition) are solid.

If I recall correctly, it sounded to me like PA first found out at the beginning of his show that Quincy was going to be on later. I could definitely be wrong, but it sounded as though it was just booked as the show was starting. I agree the interview with Quincy was pretty brutal and could have definitely been better with more prep. While his show is primarily Vikings/NFL-driven at this point in the year, he does bring in quite a few guests on a weekly basis to help cover the sports he doesn't have a passion for. Myron has been on multiple times and I would like to hear more Gopher basketball talk on KFAN as well. I wish Trent Tucker would be willing to be involved on a regular basis.

I wish Trent Tucker would be willing to be involved on a regular basis.

Tucker does a two hour show on Saturday with Dave ( I have no idea how to spell his last name )

Tucker does a two hour show on Saturday with Dave ( I have no idea how to spell his last name )

Yeah, I don't listen to the radio on Saturday mornings. It's more of a work day thing for me. Plus, I don't really care to listen to "Head Cheese" talk about his beloved Packers this time of the year. I think Trent doing a half hour segment with PA every week during basketball season would be a great addition personally. I'm not sure why they can't make that happen since Trent is already employed by KFAN anyway?

On Saturdays, TT (this time of the year) is talking NFL. Probably 80% of last Saturdays show anyway. I tune in to try and catch TT talking Gophers, but it's really hit and miss. The other 20% was split between the Wolves, Twins, & Gophers.

Top Bottom