Wally Ellenson

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
What are the chances he's played well enough in practice to get 8-10 minutes tonight?

I wouldn't mind seeing if he can bring some energy to the second unit. If Coleman is limited, I'd like to see a Welch and Ellenson backcourt and leave Maverick and his turnovers on the bench for a game.

In Tubby I trust, but in the little I have seen of him, I just can't help but think he could help our bench come tourney time. He needs some minutes though!

If Ellenson practices well then he'll get minutes. The fact that he's not playing may reflect how he looks in practice. It's B1G season, no time to be experimenting.

My first knee-jerk reaction this question is to say no chance at all. Ellenson has looked a little clumsy with the ball in the few mop up performances he's had. I can't see Tubby wanting to risk more turnovers in a road game against a team whose only hope of beating the Gophers is to turn them over.

What is the status of Coleman and Williams? Did Sir Sidney over-state their injuries to make an excuse for the poor game vs Michigan? Its been 6 days since then. Have they been practicing? Where is Amelia with an update?

I'd like to see him get thrown in the fire in the first half for some of theses games. Maybe 3-5 times up and down the court. When the pressure is off, but the game intensity is there. Let's see what he has.

THE SCOUT! said from the start that he is not ready, not quick enough, not skilled enough that is the bottom line. Barring injuries he will be a garbage tome player.

My first knee-jerk reaction this question is to say no chance at all. Ellenson has looked a little clumsy with the ball in the few mop up performances he's had. I can't see Tubby wanting to risk more turnovers in a road game against a team whose only hope of beating the Gophers is to turn them over.

What is the status of Coleman and Williams? Did Sir Sidney over-state their injuries to make an excuse for the poor game vs Michigan? Its been 6 days since then. Have they been practicing? Where is Amelia with an update?

Ellenson may look clumsy to you but he looks like a ballerina to me compare to Oto.

Not sure if we see Wally tonight. However, I am thinking that Tubby has held him out of some of these close early games so that he doesn't get his confidence crushed if he blows it in a tight game. I think he will try to find him some spots where he can play with confidence and then go from there.

THE SCOUT! said from the start that he is not ready, not quick enough, not skilled enough that is the bottom line. Barring injuries he will be a garbage tome player.

Is that like a really big book that tells you everything you need to know about garbage? What does THE SCOUT!!! mean by this?

Elsa Ronningstam, associate clinical professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School and author of Identifying and Understanding the Narcissistic Personality: Referring to yourself in the third person creates distance between "I" and "he." So if you have an exaggerated view of how great you are, you could be using this distance to make yourself even bigger.

I feel like a broken record, but I bet the chance is pretty slim... I would imagine that if the two were at all close in Tubby/the coaching staff's eyes, he'd already be playing over Oto... Wally has the ultimate tie-break of being both a freshman (assuming that you'd play an equal but younger player- maybe not though) and the fact that Tubby would want to play him to keep his family happy. He must just not be playing well in practice or something.

I didn't hear it, but someone posted that Tubby commented on WCCO last Sunday that Wally would be seeing additional minutes. I guess we will find out tonight. I hope Joe and Rodney are full speed tonight.

if he was better than otto tubby would not have bothered discussing red shirting him. Big Ten Basketball is a lot more than dunking ability

He is to big a liability defensively to play in a close game, I've only seen him play the limited amount of minutes he's played with the Gophers but he has the basic ability, just needs time to develop, he's decent offensively and could probably contribute right now but they would be forced to play a zone with him in the game.

Elsa Ronningstam, associate clinical professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School and author of Identifying and Understanding the Narcissistic Personality: Referring to yourself in the third person creates distance between "I" and "he." So if you have an exaggerated view of how great you are, you could be using this distance to make yourself even bigger.

Do you mean like: "I be here...he be there"?

What? He may not be ready, but quickness isn't the issue. It also doesn't appear to be skill, based on seeing him play a little bit this year and in the summer. However, there are a lot of guys that are quick enough, have enough skills, but take time adjusting to Division I basketball. Bobby Jackson, for example, struggled his junior year. He looked uncomfortable with the ball, and not that quick because he was thinking, not playing. Every player adjusts differently. Give Wally time.

if he was better than otto tubby would not have bothered discussing red shirting him. Big Ten Basketball is a lot more than dunking ability

That's difficult to say. Who's Otto?

I feel like a broken record, but I bet the chance is pretty slim... I would imagine that if the two were at all close in Tubby/the coaching staff's eyes, he'd already be playing over Oto... Wally has the ultimate tie-break of being both a freshman (assuming that you'd play an equal but younger player- maybe not though) and the fact that Tubby would want to play him to keep his family happy. He must just not be playing well in practice or something.

Why would Ellenson play over Oto? Wally is a 2 guard. He'd eat into minutes of Welch (which is why I suggested sitting Mav and going with Julian as the backup PG).

Anyways, it will be interesting to see. I don't agree with others that he is clumsy and a liability. He is a high caliber athlete and I think he could bring an added dimension to this team if he can get some experience and gain a little confidence. My guess it comes down to the outside shooting and defense he has been displaying in practice.

It's a long season and I really think he could help come March. I'd like to see him get some minutes now against teams we should beat.

Moses we already know your talented being that you can part the red sea, but calling Wally clumsy seems ridiculous. Wally's first collegiate basket was timing Otto's missed shot, grabbing it, spinning 180 and dunking it behind his head. If you weren't Moses I think you would be hard pressed to share something that miraculous! Hey part the purple seas for us tonight, so Wally can do a 360 dunk.

Moses we already know your talented being that you can part the red sea, but calling Wally clumsy seems ridiculous. Wally's first collegiate basket was timing Otto's missed shot, grabbing it, spinning 180 and dunking it behind his head. If you weren't Moses I think you would be hard pressed to share something that miraculous! Hey part the purple seas for us tonight, so Wally can do a 360 dunk.

Yes, those dunks were nice but he had about 3 turnovers before he got his first basket. I like his potential, but I think its clear that he needs a lot of work on his ball-handling if wants to be thrown into the fire.

What? He may not be ready, but quickness isn't the issue. It also doesn't appear to be skill, based on seeing him play a little bit this year and in the summer. However, there are a lot of guys that are quick enough, have enough skills, but take time adjusting to Division I basketball. Bobby Jackson, for example, struggled his junior year. He looked uncomfortable with the ball, and not that quick because he was thinking, not playing. Every player adjusts differently. Give Wally time.

Bobby Jackson averaged over 13 points per game his his first year here and played well over 25 minutes a game. IMO that is a poor compairison...

Yes, those dunks were nice but he had about 3 turnovers before he got his first basket. I like his potential, but I think its clear that he needs a lot of work on his ball-handling if wants to be thrown into the fire.

Well, to be fair in that first game, he was clearly incredibly nervous and jittery. I think they said he was kinda surprised when he got called in (which surprised me), so I kinda threw out any of that game. He was better the next one around, showed off the raw physical ability he has. But not sure I've been able to get a real good read on his ball handling yet. I think it's a common issue though, with freshman, learning how to truly value the ball. This conference is pretty unforgiving if you aren't strong with the ball.

The discussion about him being red shirted had nothing to do with Oto and their corresponding abilities. The discussion on the red shirt was that Wally broke his hand and missed the entire pre- conference season. Have you not been paying attention?

Whatever badger. i wasn't comparing him to Bobby. The first part of Jackson's junior year he didn't look good and people were writing him off as an average player. No one saw him as the Big 10 player of the year the next year.

I'm not comparing Wally to Bobby. Just saying THESCOUT can't write him off because he's taking time to adjust. He is a freshman who has only been eligible for a handful of games.

Thanks Stan for your insight on Narcissim, I appreciate your research and analysis. The Goldie girl :)

Not so with Tubby. Rememer that Maverick was taking a lot of time over Andre last year until late in the year. With Tubby the tie goes to the older player it seems to me.

Will someone explain why Ellenson hasn't been redshirted?

Will someone explain why Ellenson hasn't been redshirted?

Is "He and his family didn't want him to be" enough? Or were you looking for further details? I think the general consensus is that the family's desire was for Wally not to redshirt cause he did not plan to be here more than 4 years. Tubby obliged, but I'm pretty sure he didn't guarantee him anything. My assumption is he'll get bit minutes for the rest of this season, minutes that will still probably help going into next year. And who knows, he provides a little insurance in case of injury as well.

xman wake up, THE SCOUT was clearly responding to those who say Wally should play ahead of oto. Any moron knows Wally came back from wrist injury early enough to eliminate it being a serious redshirt factor... geez do you think they would reshirt a kid ready to help the team win now for that injury!

Whatever badger. i wasn't comparing him to Bobby. The first part of Jackson's junior year he didn't look good and people were writing him off as an average player. No one saw him as the Big 10 player of the year the next year.

I'm not comparing Wally to Bobby. Just saying THESCOUT can't write him off because he's taking time to adjust. He is a freshman who has only been eligible for a handful of games.

Fair enough, I meant no disrespect. Just thought it was a poor compairison, thats all. Obviously I did not understand your post.

I agree totally different spots as BJ was a JC transfer and at one point it looked like Mark Jones, not Jackson, would be the better of the two players...

Top Bottom