Wally Ellenson named 4th team AP allstate in Wisconsin! What is with that?

Don't care at all that Wally was named 4th team All State and I think I am more down on Tubby's recruiting than many on the board. If Bob Huggins and Tubby Smith both offered the kid a scholarship, chances are very good that his ability far exceeds that of a "4th team" All State type of kid. While I don't put a ton of stock in dunks (especially on a Gopher team that has a lot of athletes and no knockdown shooters), the athleticism Wally has shown dunking the basketball puts him in a very select group. If the choice is a kid who was 4th team All State and has offers from Oklahoma State and West Virginia or a 1st team All State kid who has offers from the Missouri Valley, I'll take the 4th team kid every time.

This stuff is mostly meaningless, don't you guys remember that Brusewitz was "Mr. Basketball" over Royce White and Rodney Williams?

This stuff is mostly meaningless, don't you guys remember that Brusewitz was "Mr. Basketball" over Royce White and Rodney Williams?

Don't know if that post was sarcastic, but White won Mr. Basketball in that class.

I would guess there was some bias with Ellenson, whether that was north/south or that he signed with Minnesota or whatever, but that didn't keep him off the first team. The guys on the first team deserved it more than did Wally. The same can probably be said about a couple of the second team guys (e.g. Kevon Looney, Duane Wilson). Wisconsin's 2012 thru 2014 classes are as talented a group as I can remember, lots of really good players in the state right now.

Don't know if that post was sarcastic, but White won Mr. Basketball in that class.

I would guess there was some bias with Ellenson, whether that was north/south or that he signed with Minnesota or whatever, but that didn't keep him off the first team. The guys on the first team deserved it more than did Wally. The same can probably be said about a couple of the second team guys (e.g. Kevon Looney, Duane Wilson). Wisconsin's 2012 thru 2014 classes are as talented a group as I can remember, lots of really good players in the state right now.

Kevin Looney is the kid I wish the Gophers had a chance with-- length and hops and handle and he keeps growing. He struggled at the free throw line tonight as his AAU Rebels got beat by 1 by the Illinois Wolves but Looney was very impressive.

Kevin Looney is the kid I wish the Gophers had a chance with-- length and hops and handle and he keeps growing.QUOTE]

Screw the Gophers ( :cool02: ), I just hope UW has a chance at landing Looney! He is phenomenal, and keeps getting better. He is next in line in Wisconsin in terms of kids who will be national recruits. It will be very tough for Bo to keep him in his home state.

I guess it was AP player of the year, I knew he received some sort of award over Rodney Williams and Royce White.

Kevin Looney is the kid I wish the Gophers had a chance with-- length and hops and handle and he keeps growing.QUOTE]

Screw the Gophers ( :cool02: ), I just hope UW has a chance at landing Looney! He is phenomenal, and keeps getting better. He is next in line in Wisconsin in terms of kids who will be national recruits. It will be very tough for Bo to keep him in his home state.

I think you are right. Any word on where he is thinking about? He is young but as of now it looks like only a one year college career anyway though.

If Looney stays in-state, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was at Marquette.

I'm sure Looney is very good, but we have a few in-state guys we need to worry about for 2014. And the chances of pulling a top 25 kid from Milwaukee to MN is probably pretty unlikely.

I'm sure Looney is very good, but we have a few in-state guys we need to worry about for 2014. And the chances of pulling a top 25 kid from Milwaukee to MN is probably pretty unlikely.

Philip Nolan is still unsigned. Make room for him. He has interest in Minnesota.

Philip Nolan is still unsigned. Make room for him. He has interest in Minnesota.

Nolan would be nice, but the Gophers are already scrambling over scholarships. If the U/Mbakwe doesn't get the scholarship exception and Mbakwe wants to come back, then somebody is out the door (Mav, Chip, Ingram). Then the whole Lockett issue. Although that seems like a dead end.

If Looney stays in-state, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was at Marquette.

Looney is incredible, but I'm not sure he'll stay in state. Diamond Stone (2015) on the other hand... could see him at Marquette.

Some great talent in the area... with Duane and Deonte already "staying home" in 2013.

From a Gopher perspective, there is obviously some great high school talent here as well.. just gotta keep 'em here.

I would guess Tubby would take Nolan before Lockett and Lockett can get more minutes almost anywhere else. Can't see a senior with NBA aspirations walking into a crowded situation or Tubby taking a risk of hurting team chemistry.

Reason 1001 howieramone says we shouldn't go after TL.

I know math isn't you're strong suite, but do this. Start with Austin's, Joe's, and Welch's minutes this year. Recalculate with Mbakwe coming back. Then recalculate with Lockett, an outsider, also. If I was Austin or Joe, I would transfer.

You and Madtown think alike. Odd.

FYI- Gopher fans don't care about Marquette.

I'm a Minnesota alum that is about to graduate from Marquette law school, sorry for cheering for schools I have attended. Only mentioned Marquette because he is a Milwaukee kid who is athletic and could flourish in an up-tempo system, hence he'd probably go to MU over Wisco if he stays in-state. Not sure why there is such a hatred for MU on here, is it just because of GW? I find him super annoying most of the time but no need to hate MU.

I'm a Minnesota alum that is about to graduate from Marquette law school, sorry for cheering for schools I have attended. Only mentioned Marquette because he is a mil kid who is athletic and flourish in an up-tempo system, hence he'd prob go to MU over Wisco if he stays in-state. Not sure why there is such a hatred for MU on here, is it just because of GW? I find him super annoying most of the time but no need to hate MU.

+1

Not sure why there is such a hatred for MU on here, is it just because of GW?

I don't think there's any hatred for Marquette from most people on here. Clem's Gophers is just being a dink, don't mind him. He's mostly harmless.

AP All State in Wisconsin particularly, is a joke in my book. Over 2/3 of the AP writers are south of HWY 10, unless a northern team makes it to Madison, its a crap shoot at best for even the best talent up here.

AP All State in Wisconsin particularly, is a joke in my book. Over 2/3 of the AP writers are south of HWY 10, unless a northern team makes it to Madison, its a crap shoot at best for even the best talent up here.

Exactly. If Wally played for a school in The Madison or Milwaukee area his place as an all state player would be totally different. I believe he will be a great player for the gophers down the road.

UWOle: "I would guess there was some bias with Ellenson, whether that was north/south or that he signed with Minnesota or whatever..." I'd guess it's the unmentionable "whatever."

It will be very tough for Bo to keep him in his home state.

Probably because like most kids, he is likely to fall asleep on the floor playing in Bo's offense

I'm a Minnesota alum that is about to graduate from Marquette law school, sorry for cheering for schools I have attended. Only mentioned Marquette because he is a Milwaukee kid who is athletic and could flourish in an up-tempo system, hence he'd probably go to MU over Wisco if he stays in-state. Not sure why there is such a hatred for MU on here, is it just because of GW? I find him super annoying most of the time but no need to hate MU.

You'll agree, Marquette really isn't a "Wisconsin school." The general population will root for them if they're doing well or if they live in the Killwaukee area, but 65% of their students are from out of state and it's private. MU students and alumni HATE the skunks, which I approve. I really want to start playing them.

Now back to the topic. Who cares?

From WISSPORTS-- the final 2012 Wi ranking

It’s a solid class with four high-major NCAA Division I recruits, led by University of Wisconsin pickup Sam Dekker and North Carolina signee J.P. Tokoto.

The final rankings, along with Others To Watch in 2012, can be found here.

Following are a few comments on each of the top 25 players …

No. 1. Sam Dekker, 6-8, WF, Sheboygan Lutheran
Many will remember Dekker’s incredible game-winning three-point shot against Racine Lutheran in the WIAA Division 5 state championship game, but I’ll most remember his incredible leap from a second-team all-league performer in the Central Lakeshore Conference as a freshman to the No. 15 ranking nationally by Scout.com by the end of his high school career. Versatile, talented, competitive and hungry, Dekker figures to get some significant minutes right out of the shoot at Wisconsin.

No. 2 J.P. Tokoto, 6-6, WF, Menomonee Falls
Tokoto’s ability to take your breath away with a soaring, athletic dunk or with his incredible wing-span and shot-blocking ability are evident just about every time he stepped onto the court. Though he never played in the WIAA State Tournament, Tokoto enjoyed a brilliant four-year high school career and saved his best for last, averaging 24.6 ppg as a senior. It will be fascinating to watch Tokoto’s career unfold at North Carolina over the next several years.

No. 3 Zak Showalter, 6-3, WG, Germantown
Of all the kids in the 2012 class, I’ll probably miss watching Showalter compete the most. His energy, passion and ability to positively impact a game on so many different levels were impressive. Equally impressive was the way he improved not only his athleticism, but also his perimeter shooting. He’ll initially walk on at Wisconsin, but it’s hard to imagine him not earning a scholarship from coach Bo Ryan in the near future.

No. 4 Wally Ellenson, 6-5, WG, Rice Lake
Tokoto and Ellenson could stage a highly entertaining dunk contest as both can absolutely jump out of the gym. Ellenson’s physical strength and aggressive nature in going to the basket make him a difficult cover for opponents. He’ll have to shore up his perimeter shooting a bit at the University of Minnesota in the fall, but Gopher fans are going to love his aggressive nature and ability to soar.

No. 5 Jordan Fouse, 6-6, WF, Racine St. Catherine’s
Fouse’s ability to score, rebound, pass, defend and block shots figure to help him get on the floor immediately at Green Bay next season. His versatility and completeness may have been the best of any player Bob Letsch has coached in his long tenure at perennial powerhouse St. Catherine’s.

Top Bottom