Vikings will "likely play" at TCF Stadium

If the Vikings leave, the state will move heaven and earth to get a new NFL team here. Most of the opponents of paying for a pro stadium would likely change their minds at that point. I'm fine with the Gophers renting the stadium out to the Vikings for a couple years. We really don't have enough leverage to put the screws to the Vikings, it would piss off too many Minnesotans and piss off the legislature.

But we can use the situation to make some good money for the athletic department.

If the Vikings leave I think sports will be ruined for me forever. The North Stars moving was the worst part of my childhood by far and I don't want to go through that again. Were it to happen the entirety of sports can screw off as far as I'm concerned. It would poison the entire well.

I can understand not wanting to use public funds on a stadium. I am in fact sympathetic to that viewpoint, however hoping the team moves is just brazenly ugly and petty.

If the Vikes leave, Minnesota will NEVER get another NFL team. It is one of my fondest dreams and one that I will be working for from now on. I am starting a GopherHole group to work against a new Vikings stadium. Who is going to join me?

If the Vikes leave, Minnesota will NEVER get another NFL team. It is one of my fondest dreams and one that I will be working for from now on. I am starting a GopherHole group to work against a new Vikings stadium. Who is going to join me?
What emptiness in your life are you hoping this will fill?

Way ahead of you. The purple moving vans are on the way.

See I had this silly idea that during what is a pivotal moment in the history of this program, arguably the most important few years in the past three or four decades, fans would want to band together rather than be petty and divisive but what do I know.

If you guys want to believe that the Vikings moving will solve the Gophers' challenges then more power to you. Cling onto that belief I guess.

I attended the one game that the Minnesota Vikings played in 1969 at Memorial stadium against Bart Star and the hated Packers. The Vikings killed them with a great front four. It was better than any gopher footbal game that I have attended in the past 40 years. Hopefully the Vikings will play at the bank again soon. It will be the only way we will see winning football any time soon at the U of M.

quite being such a giant d-o-u-c-h-e bag. :rolleyes:

I agree that the Vikings won't stay long term in TCF Bank Stadium. They've already said it won't work for them. I also agree that the Vikings will play in TCF Bank stadium while their own is being built (fingers crossed). However, I also think the Vikings will play in TCF Bank Stadium even before they have a stadium deal in place.

Think about it, the Vikings have already said they will not renew their lease in the Metrodome. They have been rather vehement about it. I'm thinking they will play in TCF Bank Stadium starting in 2012.

There is no way a stadium deal in the legislature will be worked out by then. The effect this move has is to deny the Metrodome a major tenant. Without a major tenant, the Metrodome cannot survive. Numerous news stories have already been written that without the Vikings (or the Twins or the Gophers) they Metrodome will essentially shut its doors and maybe even need to be torn down.

So, moving to TCF Bank Stadium before a stadium deal is in place will force the issue. The Vikings will say they can't stay in TCF long term, and the Metrodome/MSFC will say the Dome can't survive. The legislature will be forced to make a decision: do we want to have a domed/roofed stadium for year round activities and keep the Vikings? Or do we want to give up the Vikings and essentially any chance at building a new facility to host year round activities?

Quite frankly, it is a good move by the Vikings. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this "break-up" with the MSFC isn't all staged just to set the stage for the first Vikings home game of 2012 to be at TCF Bank Stadium.

interesting theory. hey, weren't you the guy who did that website a few years back which helped the twins with their PR and public education on the new baseball stadium issue? you should do the same thing, but only this time for the new vikings/multi-purpose stadium push on the metrodump site.

come on! pretty please?! ;)

I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars going to a new professional stadium. If the Vikes want a new stadium, pony up a boatload of their own cash. If not, c'ya! Having a pro team here is good for our local economy but the Vikes can renovate MOA Field (haha) and save a ton of cash. They don't want to, oh well. Enjoy LA!

The vikes will never share TCF stadium, The U has said No already. The Vikes will also will not get a stadium approved anytime in the near future. If they don't build their own stadium let them walk, why should we build a stadium for millionaire players to play in for millionaire owners who play in a billion dollar league? The Wilfs can shove it, good riddance if they leave.

I'm not a huge fan of public funding for pro sporting events. But if we're going to piss away billions of dollars in stimulus spending, we might as well get something tangible like a stadium and actually create some real legitimate jobs.

I will. I have hated the vikings since the 15-1 season. Actually, I moved from hate to apathy 3 seasons ago and have not watched a game in 3 years.

Ok, I think we are ready to proceed, although it appears that some Holers might not be on board with us right now. Oh well, maybe later.

1) The first order of business is to come up with a name for our group. I am suggesting Citizens Opposed to Stadium Taxes (COST) for three reasons:

a) It will conceal our hatred of the Vikings by cloaking our group in the guise of an anti-taxes organization.

b) Since almost every right wing conservative subscribes to the No New Taxes mantra of the Republican Party, we will have a built-in base of anti-Vikings Stadium supporters. Afterall, anyone who has supported the No New Taxes movement would not want to be branded a hypocrite for supporting a tax for a new Vikings Stadium.

c) It might help us to enlist Jason Lewis of KTLK (FM 100.3) to sign on along with his large group of anti-tax protestors.

2) We are also going to have to file the necessary documents to obtain non-profit status with the State of Minnesota. I don't know how that is done but I will be looking into it.

3) We need to develop a web site, as well. I think I have a good name for one but I am not ready to share it until I get it registered.

4) Finally, we need bumper stickers. Does anyone know how much that costs? I have several designs in mind. One could say - JUST SAY NO TO ZIGGY. Anouther one would say - NO NEW TAXES (for stadiums).

I assume this post will be deleted in short order. While I am sure that the owners of GopherHole will be sympathetic to our ultimate goal of getting the Vikings to move to LA, it will be understandable if they don't want their site to be seen as an overt supporter of our group. However, I expect that there will be many Vikings threads intitiated in GopherHole during the course of next year and we will be able to slip our posts into those threads from time to time.

So long for now. I will be in touch.

I will. I have hated the vikings since the 15-1 season. Actually, I moved from hate to apathy 3 seasons ago and have not watched a game in 3 years.

So when Minnesota played Green Bay on Monday Night Football, you and the Mrs. caught a flick? Sure.......

interesting theory. hey, weren't you the guy who did that website a few years back which helped the twins with their PR and public education on the new baseball stadium issue? you should do the same thing, but only this time for the new vikings/multi-purpose stadium push on the metrodump site.

come on! pretty please?! ;)

Yeah, Shane. It's time to re-activate the Greet Machine. I need to know which legislators to harrass first.

On alcohol:

I don't think Illinois served alcohol in the main seats while the Bears played there.

I went to a Vikings game when the Bears played in Champaign and I am nearly 100% certain that they sold beer throughout the whole stadium, although they cut off sales at half time because the heat index was so high that people were dropping like flies.

Yeah, Shane. It's time to re-activate the Greet Machine. I need to know which legislators to harrass first.

You definitely aren't the first person to ask. As you might imagine, that site took a lot of effort and time. I'm happy with the outcome, but I'm not sure I can go through that again. I mean, I had people writing to Bruininks demanding that he fire me. Not fun.

Truth be told, I'm not really worried about the Vikings. They are way, way, way too popular. Granted, they are asking for a lot more than the Twins, but I'm pretty confident something will get worked out. I don't know why, I just am.

And it is because of their popularity I think I can just kick back and let other, more freaked-out people do the work. Truth be told, if the Greet Machine never existed, would the Twins have gotten their stadium? I think the answer to that is yes. In fact, without a doubt yes.

Just because you hate the Vikings does not mean that your views are shared by Minnesotans in general, or even shared by Gopher fans. Those who hate the Vikings are FAR more vocal than those who do not. The Vikings have certainly shaken off apathy this season.

In the unlikely event that the Vikings do move, there will be another team in the Twin Cities before too long. This is a market the NFL wants - it's the #15 market in the country.

No Cone of Silence needed for this one. Something weird is going on. We're to believe Minnesotans have the will to build TCF for the Gophs and Target Field for the Twins, but will let the Vikings suffer without a new venue? If we believe the Vikings are the most popular team in the state and Upper Midwest, a claim which has been made for many years and probably accurate, the stadium building should have happened in reverse order.

Talk of a new stadium and the Vikings staying in Minnesota keep ticket holders in their seats and folks buying purple-colored gear. Unfortunately, when the mystical purple smoke has cleared, there will be no new Vikings stadium, nor will there any longer be Vikings. Well, possibly, if they keep the nickname in LA. It's done. Just like the North Stars were finished here the day Norm Green telegraphed his and the NHL's true intent by dropping the "North" from our team's name. That deal was done prior to his purchase and everything that followed was window dressing, just like this valiant but futile pseudo-effort to build a stadium for the Vikings. Can anyone say Cleveland Browns? After all, what's good for the NFL is the important thing.

must be a loser packer fan

Ok, I think we are ready to proceed, although it appears that some Holers might not be on board with us right now. Oh well, maybe later.

1) The first order of business is to come up with a name for our group. I am suggesting Citizens Opposed to Stadium Taxes (COST) for three reasons:

a) It will conceal our hatred of the Vikings by cloaking our group in the guise of an anti-taxes organization.

b) Since almost every right wing conservative subscribes to the No New Taxes mantra of the Republican Party, we will have a built-in base of anti-Vikings Stadium supporters. Afterall, anyone who has supported the No New Taxes movement would not want to be branded a hypocrite for supporting a tax for a new Vikings Stadium.

c) It might help us to enlist Jason Lewis of KTLK (FM 100.3) to sign on along with his large group of anti-tax protestors.

2) We are also going to have to file the necessary documents to obtain non-profit status with the State of Minnesota. I don't know how that is done but I will be looking into it.

3) We need to develop a web site, as well. I think I have a good name for one but I am not ready to share it until I get it registered.

4) Finally, we need bumper stickers. Does anyone know how much that costs? I have several designs in mind. One could say - JUST SAY NO TO ZIGGY. Anouther one would say - NO NEW TAXES (for stadiums).

I assume this post will be deleted in short order. While I am sure that the owners of GopherHole will be sympathetic to our ultimate goal of getting the Vikings to move to LA, it will be understandable if they don't want their site to be seen as an overt supporter of our group. However, I expect that there will be many Vikings threads intitiated in GopherHole during the course of next year and we will be able to slip our posts into those threads from time to time.

So long for now. I will be in touch.

You are a GIANT loser who is a troll who must be a packer fan. Go Vikes Go.!

You definitely aren't the first person to ask. As you might imagine, that site took a lot of effort and time. I'm happy with the outcome, but I'm not sure I can go through that again. I mean, I had people writing to Bruininks demanding that he fire me. Not fun.

Truth be told, I'm not really worried about the Vikings. They are way, way, way too popular. Granted, they are asking for a lot more than the Twins, but I'm pretty confident something will get worked out. I don't know why, I just am.

And it is because of their popularity I think I can just kick back and let other, more freaked-out people do the work. Truth be told, if the Greet Machine never existed, would the Twins have gotten their stadium? I think the answer to that is yes. In fact, without a doubt yes.

It's certainly understandable, I'm sure it was more work then I can comprehend. If you can find the energy do to it though, it would be a great help. There are other sites out there, but none with the inside-legislative angle you had, and who are we kidding, that's what it comes down to.

Would the Twins bill have passed without your site? Maybe. But we will never know exactly how many waivering legislators looked at your site, saw they weren't the only ones percieved as being in favor of it, and then had enough courage to press the green button. (Or in the case of my legislator to be a 'back-pocket' vote.)

I share your optimism in a sense. I simply cannot see the NFL ditching the 15th media market that has it's 4th highest TV ratings, while leaving teams to die in Jacksonville and Buffalo. Roger Goodell seems like a smart man. That said, is he really going to step in and stop Ziggy, if he's the first one that volunteers to go to L.A? I'm not convinced. Let the Vikings move to L.A. and MSP becomes the hot new decoy for Jacksonville and Buffalo, etc.

I'm also not convinced that the 2010 Legislative Session has to be DOA for all proposals. If the Vikings can get deep into the play-offs (think Super Bowl) and play thier PR cards right (they're not off to a good start this week) and significantly increase thier contribution, I think certain ideas would become palatable. Namely the Racino, which was, is and always will be the easiest and least painful way to fund a stadium. Fund some 'winter coats for kids' with the extra proceeds and you might have something that can pass.

Ban Packer Backers

"Yeah, Shane. It's time to re-activate the Greet Machine. I need to know which legislators to harrass first. "

Packer backers like howde7 should be shipped back to Wisconsin

Another Pcker backer?

"Congratulations, you beat out three other teams. If Iowa wins Saturday, you might as well call them champions too, since they would've beaten the other three teams in the region (ISU, WI, MN)."

SEND JIKE BACK HOME

"Yeah, Shane. It's time to re-activate the Greet Machine. I need to know which legislators to harrass first. "

Packer backers like howde7 should be shipped back to Wisconsin

You're making assumptions. The legislature had to be harrassed into approving the Twins stadium and they'll have to be harrassed into approving the Vikings stadium. I am not, nor ever will be a Packer backer. If you even bothered to read my subsequent response to Shane you'd have figured that out. Quit being a jerk to everyone on the assumption we're a bunch of Sconnie Scum.

Quit being a jerk to everyone on the assumption we're a bunch of Sconnie Scum.

Don't even bother. He'll be banned by the end of the day, just like he was yesterday, and you have to figure that win or lose, we'll have so much traffic on here tomorrow that his posts (under whatever moniker he comes up with next) will just get lost in the shuffle.

two packer backers?

Look at these two wimps against the new vikings stadium. Must be trolls from Wisconsin.

Top Bottom