Vikings will "likely play" at TCF Stadium

cemba99

Bruce Smith for Governor
Reaction score
Although I guess it was a reasonable assumption, I had not yet seen it in print that the University is acknowledging that the Vikings will "likely play" at TCF Bank stadium during construction of a new stadium (if it occurs).

http://www.startribune.com/local/70429162.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUs

I particularly liked Richard Pfutzenreuter's (CFO for the University) quote at the end of the article:

"We're not dumb here," he said. "They're going to need to play" at the university. "There's been no discussion of terms and conditions -- and there will be terms and conditions."

Ja think the U might let a little alcohol be served during a Vikings game?

I can think of several "conditions" that the U needs to impose on the Vikings - nothing too drastic just the same deal that the Vikings game them at the Metrodome:
- no suite revenue
- minimal percentage of concession stand revenue (including Vikings jerseys, etc.)
- no parking revenue
- no use of the stadium for practices

Any others??

I have very little doubt that the Vikings will ultimately share the stadium with the Gophers permanently. The Vikings are not going to come up with the $750 million in public money they are looking for to build their own stadium. The Legislature will pressure the U of M, threaten their academic funding and give them just enough money for their troubles to be convincing. And that will suck.

I have very little doubt that the Vikings will ultimately share the stadium with the Gophers permanently. The Vikings are not going to come up with the $750 million in public money they are looking for to build their own stadium. The Legislature will pressure the U of M, threaten their academic funding and give them just enough money for their troubles to be convincing. And that will suck.

That will never happen. The Vikings would never agree to it, and the U would go kicking and screaming. There's no sense making everyone unhappy and having the same stupid debate 10 years later when the Vikings insist on moving out.

Although I guess it was a reasonable assumption, I had not yet seen it in print that the University is acknowledging that the Vikings will "likely play" at TCF Bank stadium during construction of a new stadium (if it occurs).

http://www.startribune.com/local/70429162.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUs

I particularly liked Richard Pfutzenreuter's (CFO for the University) quote at the end of the article:

"We're not dumb here," he said. "They're going to need to play" at the university. "There's been no discussion of terms and conditions -- and there will be terms and conditions."

Ja think the U might let a little alcohol be served during a Vikings game?

I can think of several "conditions" that the U needs to impose on the Vikings - nothing too drastic just the same deal that the Vikings game them at the Metrodome:
- no suite revenue
- minimal percentage of concession stand revenue (including Vikings jerseys, etc.)
- no parking revenue
- no use of the stadium for practices

Any others??

Stop with the bitterness towards the Vikings. Other then the suites, all of the 'bad deals' the Gophers had at the Dome were the fault of the MSFC, not the Vikings.

This will never happen in a million years. The Vikings will have no interest in sharing a 50,000 seat stadium. They can't generate enough revenue in the 60,000 seat stadium they have now - how would they do that with diminished capacity?

As much as it pains me to say, the Vikings will be gone if they do not break ground on a new stadium within the next 3 years. And I, for one, will never watch the NFL again.

Where is my head slamming into wall emoticon when I need it? For the thousandth time...this is NOT going to happen.
- There are not enough suites
- There are over 9000 block M's throughout the stadium
- There is no Viking's locker room...the Vikes aren't going to be housed in a locker room with a giant Block M in it.
- The visitor's locker room isn't up to NFL standards
- They wouldn't get to control the revenue streams like parking, suites, etc
- The U already said a shared stadium runs counter to their mission YEARS AGO. There is no way to force them to change their mind.
- The seats are maroon and gold and spell out Minnesota and a block M.
- etc, etc, etc.

This is a college stadium. Adding more seats and replacing the benches with seatbacks doesn't change that. It is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Jeebus!

The Vikings will certainly use the stadium when the new one is being built.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. It would create a lot of additonal revenue for the U for a couple of years.

The fact that there was a bad lease at the Metrodome for the Gophers has nothing to do with the Vikings. The Vikings don't like their lease at the Metrodome.

They will never share a stadium permanently.

The (750) million dollar question remains - where are the Vikings going to get the money for this new stadium they want?

Vikings at Memorial Stadium

I attended the one game that the Minnesota Vikings played in 1969 at Memorial stadium against Bart Star and the hated Packers. The Vikings killed them with a great front four. It was better than any gopher footbal game that I have attended in the past 40 years. Hopefully the Vikings will play at the bank again soon. It will be the only way we will see winning football any time soon at the U of M.

I attended the one game that the Minnesota Vikings played in 1969 at Memorial stadium against Bart Star and the hated Packers. The Vikings killed them with a great front four. It was better than any gopher footbal game that I have attended in the past 40 years. Hopefully the Vikings will play at the bank again soon. It will be the only way we will see winning football any time soon at the U of M.

Hmm. 6-5 this year. 4-3 at home.

You shouldn't make your agenda so glaringly obvious. You're pathetic.

Is there a "blows head off" emoticon available?

Accept it Vikings are great - Gophers Football Stinks

:pig::pig:

We should ask the Gophers to move to LA and keep the Vikings if you ask me.

The Vikings will certainly use the stadium when the new one is being built.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. It would create a lot of additonal revenue for the U for a couple of years.

The fact that there was a bad lease at the Metrodome for the Gophers has nothing to do with the Vikings. The Vikings don't like their lease at the Metrodome.

They will never share a stadium permanently.
I don't know anything about the lease or situation, so feel free to jump down my throat here, but the only way I see the Vikings playing in TCF is if they rebuild on the Metrodome site. If something rematerializes with Anoka county, why wouldn't they play in the Dome while the new stadium is built? Or have the Vikings said that they need to have the new stadium downtown?

The Vikes will get their stadium. Then they will play at TCF for 2 seasons while they wait for their stadium to be built. The state has to understand that you can't let the VIkings leave. If they do they will end up getting the NFL back here again at a much higher price. Ultimately costing the tax payers much more money than building them a new stadium now. Who cares about a roof either? Just build one without a roof and the cost will be 200 M less.

C'ya Vikes

I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars going to a new professional stadium. If the Vikes want a new stadium, pony up a boatload of their own cash. If not, c'ya! Having a pro team here is good for our local economy but the Vikes can renovate MOA Field (haha) and save a ton of cash. They don't want to, oh well. Enjoy LA!

^ I hate "fans" like you. Whine whine whine whine whine.

The Vikes will get their stadium. Then they will play at TCF for 2 seasons while they wait for their stadium to be built. The state has to understand that you can't let the VIkings leave. If they do they will end up getting the NFL back here again at a much higher price. Ultimately costing the tax payers much more money than building them a new stadium now. Who cares about a roof either? Just build one without a roof and the cost will be 200 M less.

No roof = No Final Fours. Bad idea

I don't know anything about the lease or situation, so feel free to jump down my throat here, but the only way I see the Vikings playing in TCF is if they rebuild on the Metrodome site. If something rematerializes with Anoka county, why wouldn't they play in the Dome while the new stadium is built? Or have the Vikings said that they need to have the new stadium downtown?

I think at this point the only willing partners are those surrounding a downtown project. I agree though that the Vikes would likely play at the Dome until their new stadium is built if it were not on the Dome site.

Favre gets hurt or doesn't come back next year and you won't be calling the Vikings a "winning" football team either.

All I know about is that the Vikes and Anoka County had a stadium deal done three years ago, and the Vikes walked away at the last possible minute.

Vikings are Champions

Vikes won the disivion last year without the great man Brett. When was the last time the Gophers won a championship? Probabaly before you were born. At least the great gopher Wrestling teams are Champs!

Vikes won the disivion last year without the great man Brett. When was the last time the Gophers won a championship? Probabaly before you were born. At least the great gopher Wrestling teams are Champs!

Congratulations, you beat out three other teams. If Iowa wins Saturday, you might as well call them champions too, since they would've beaten the other three teams in the region (ISU, WI, MN).

When was the last time they played in the Super Bowl? Hint: it WAS before I was born.

Congratulations, you beat out three other teams. If Iowa wins Saturday, you might as well call them champions too, since they would've beaten the other three teams in the region (ISU, WI, MN).

When was the last time they played in the Super Bowl? Hint: it WAS before I was born.
Settle down. It's "Mission Miami" this year. Just like 1998 when the 15-1 Vikings won the Super Bo...

I'm all for the Vikings playing in TCF Bank Stadium for a little while. The fiscal sodomy could give the athletic department a huge war chest if they're smart enough to keep it in the athletic department.

Gopher fans bashing the Vikings is pretty much misdirected frustration. I like both and it would be nice if the dick waving between the two could be kept to a minimum. :|

No, the Gophers were actually National Champions in my lifetime, though barely I will admit. Something the Vikings have never done.

The Gophers were eligible for the Rose Bowl in 1967 HOWEVER the Vikings were a game away in 1998 and last made it in 1977. Point Vikings. They do have a shot at it this year and I'd like to see them make it. Winning the NFL playoffs, percentage wise, is roughly the same as making a lower-tier Bowl. The Gophers 6-5 or 6-6 have done that. Didn't the Vikings make the playoffs once at 8-8?

It has been a LOT more entertaining watching the Vikings then the Gophers this year. I'd guess you'd find that safe to say.

Oh and don't forget the Men's hockey team. I'm pretty sure they've had two National Championships this decade also!:clap:

On your other point the Vikings were 10-6 last year 62% winning pace. The Gophers were 7-5 a 58% winning pace. A better percentage and a one win difference.

gopher1956 is trolling y'all why the hell are you bothering with him

No, the Gophers were actually National Champions in my lifetime, though barely I will admit. Something the Vikings have never done.

Wrong! The Vikings won an NFL Championship.

Many of us are fans of both teams. To compare the Vikings' success to the Gophers' lack thereof is pointless. You don't need to bring down the Vikings to boost the Gophers up. It just doesn't work that way.

Top Bottom