Vikings are the Nebraska of the NFL

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Another 1 score game, just unreal at this point how many close games they have played this season.

True but the reality is they are not a playoff caliber team. Talent wise they should be there but with Zimmer's defense now in the bottom tier of the NFL and Cousins whose record is close to 7-32 against winning teams there are too many inconsistencies. Hope the Wilf's clean house after another marginal season. I am a season ticket holder and feel way better about how the Gophers are trending compared to the Vikings.

The Vikings are the Vikings of the NFL.

Never won Super Bowl
Arizona
Minnesota
Detroit-x
Atlanta
Carolina
LA Chargers
Cleveland-x
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Jacksonville-x
Tennessee
Houston-x
x-never played in Super Bowl

They lost me long ago. From living and dying with them since they were formed, I've morphed into tuning in sporadically to watch the car wreck. Sort of hope they keep disappointing people so the Gophers pick up at least a few fans. I know the two fan bases are very different, but as band wagon jumping as we are, I know damn well it would make a difference, especially as far as media coverage.

Now that the Red Sox and Cubs have won it all in recent years, the Vikings truly stand above the pile as the best franchise in North American pro sports to have never won their league title. I've personally watched them lose 5 different NFC title games in my life, and that's all after they dominated the NFL/NFC for most of the 70s and lost 4 Super Bowls.

All other NFL franchises in the same realm of success have won at least 2 Super Bowls. Only the Steelers and Cowboys have more playoff berths since the merger. But the Vikings? Haven't even made the game in over 40 years. Too painful, each and every year.

It’s the coaching straight up. They have the player so win but the game strategy is 10 years behind the rest of the league and Zimmer cannot adjust.

Another 1 score game, just unreal at this point how many close games they have played this season.
I'm a Packer fan and I'm not here serving up the schadenfreude, but you are basically correct. Packers beat the 49ers by 2, Ravens by 1, Cardinals by 3, Bengals by 3, and Cleveland by 2 and the Vikings lost all those games by one score. Packers have been ravaged by injuries (but the Vikings have been hit fairly hard as well), so I think my guys may be a shade better, but not as much as some seem to think.

The more they lose the more gopher fans we get! keep losing! We need to sell out the bank!

True but the reality is they are not a playoff caliber team. Talent wise they should be there but with Zimmer's defense now in the bottom tier of the NFL and Cousins whose record is close to 7-32 against winning teams there are too many inconsistencies. Hope the Wilf's clean house after another marginal season. I am a season ticket holder and feel way better about how the Gophers are trending compared to the Vikings.
In fairness to defense. 3 picks with 2 in red zone should be enough help your offense. Talk about risk adverse. They scored easily when they took off the parking brake. Note to self start that way.

The Vikings need a reset, but for the record, I still believe it has less to do with Zimmer and more to do with the lack of leadership within the player ranks going back to the beginning of the year. Was not a good optic there when all the vaccine stuff came out at the beginning of the year, regarless of what individuals believe on the matter. The OL also doesn't have a good optic going with all those high draft picks. Coaches/GM are going to be held accountable, but there also comes a point where all that $$ is being spent towards players taking responsibility and doing tyheir jobs.

They lost me long ago. From living and dying with them since they were formed, I've morphed into tuning in sporadically to watch the car wreck. Sort of hope they keep disappointing people so the Gophers pick up at least a few fans. I know the two fan bases are very different, but as band wagon jumping as we are, I know damn well it would make a difference, especially as far as media coverage.
I'm in the same boat. Too much of the same old same old. Plus the 2 1/2 hours of commercials sprinkled with 5 minutes of actual game time. Just to lose when its nut crunching time.

At least with college, there are goals other than national champ. Bowl games, trophies, etc.
Pro just seems so distant to me.

The Vikings need a reset, but for the record, I still believe it has less to do with Zimmer and more to do with the lack of leadership within the player ranks going back to the beginning of the year. Was not a good optic there when all the vaccine stuff came out at the beginning of the year, regarless of what individuals believe on the matter. The OL also doesn't have a good optic going with all those high draft picks. Coaches/GM are going to be held accountable, but there also comes a point where all that $$ is being spent towards players taking responsibility and doing tyheir jobs.
Should have hired Sanford and Smith when they had the chance 😏

Since I was a kid in the late 70's, I was a fan equally of the Vikings and Seahawks, so lots of disappointment there. After 41-donut, I finally just said screw it, I'm not going to give a rat's arse about the Vikings anymore. It served me well, as I went all in as a Seahawks fan, and I got to see my team win a Super Bowl. Yes, they also lost two, but just getting to see one championship means I can be happy as an NFL fan.

But overall, in the last few years, I've become a huge fan of college football in general. It's just so much more fun of a game. The NFL is so homogeneous. The teams aren't drastically different. At least in college, you see some really unique styles and plays.

Vikings actually win some. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Zimmer is a better coach than Frost.
Nebraska also gets better talent compared to what our GM has drafted for Zimmer.

GM has ruined this franchise.

I'm in the same boat. Too much of the same old same old. Plus the 2 1/2 hours of commercials sprinkled with 5 minutes of actual game time. Just to lose when its nut crunching time.

At least with college, there are goals other than national champ. Bowl games, trophies, etc.
Pro just seems so distant to me.
I agree.
Then when the GM group defends the players not getting vaccinated and the team is the lowest vaccinated of the NFL team, it just make you sick how selfish they see the world and self righteous at the same time.

This was as close as the Nebraska @ Minnesota game this year. All they needed was an onside kick recovery and sudden touchdown drive to tie it. So not that close. Rams odds of winning when they went up 10 was over 97% IIRc

I agree.
Then when the GM group defends the players not getting vaccinated and the team is the lowest vaccinated of the NFL team, it just make you sick how selfish they see the world and self righteous at the same time.
Couldn’t give two shits about there vaccine status.
Slick Rick put good if not great talent on that team except Qb and there HC can’t do crap with it.

Slick Rick put good if not great talent on that team except Qb and there HC can’t do crap with it.
So, you don't care they can't play when dealing with Covid issues? What good are they to the team if they can't play?

How the f--k can the Vikings disappoint you, but the gophers don't.

I laugh every time I see that posted.

So, you don't care they can't play when dealing with Covid issues? What good are they to the team if they can't play?
Seems like a whole lot of vaccinated players are missing games as well.

Reactions: SDR

Excuse me, what great talent?

Last edited:

Nebraska fans and media on the other hand are oblivious to reality, stunned they are not part of the national conversation and believe a return to glory is imminent, because they are Nebraska...Much closer to the "also-ran" category than "blue blood".

Nebraska fans and media on the other hand are oblivious to reality, stunned they are not part of the national conversation and believe a return to glory is imminent, because they are Nebraska...Much closer to the "also-ran" category than "blue blood".
I think most Neb fans just want a good team / time.

Social media and jerk sports media personalities make the absurd folks more visible… but that’s not the fan base.

How the f--k can the Vikings disappoint you, but the gophers don't.

I laugh every time I see that posted.
Where did I say the Gophers haven't disappointed me? But it's still my University and every year I enjoy the spirit and spectacle; the goofy college kids; the marching band; and, above all, seeing the players grow as players and young men. Maybe work on your reading comprehension instead of your smugness.

Last I checked, this was the GOPHER HOLE. Why are talking about the Vi-queens?

Top Bottom