Video: Marcus Smart shoved a Texas Tech fan

But did the message board posters learn to not automatically assume a fan shouted racial slurs just because he got pushed by a frustrated player? I don't think so.

I think you're confusing people thinking it's a real possibility with people saying it did happen.

Meanwhile, the only one in a position to have heard the exchange who has made the accusation is Smart.

My whole point was that this guy has probably been sitting in that area for a long time and has a lot of friends sitting next to him. I don't think it is implausible that the fans around him defend him over an opposing player who pushed the guy regardless if he said it or didn't.

I'm not saying this guy did or didn't use a racial slur, just that none of his friends around him saying anything doesn't prove it either way. Of course they are going to side with him over Smart regardless.

Mr Orr: " believe me, I called him Roy"

TexasAggie is the only one who knows the history of Texas Tech slum. I want to hear from him. He is the only guy on GopherHole who speaks the truth about Lubbock.

In general, I think that fan behavior is getting worse over the years. Buying a ticket to a game does not give you the right to say or do whatever you want. But teams are loathe to take action against paying customers.

Here's what I find odd - if this guy did not use any racial slurs or profanity, then why is he voluntarily agreeing to not attend any games the rest of the season? It's like he's accepting punishment without having to admit he did anything wrong.

AT the same time, the player should not have had any contact with the fan - but any fan with half a brain has to realize that emotions run high, and taunting an athlete who is bigger and stronger than you are is stupid.

I believe Mr Orr used a racial slur. People are ignoring the fact that the cameras were not on Mr. Orr while Smart was on the ground. It is obvious that what he said struck a nerve. which prompted the confrontation. I do believe Smart was wrong and should be punished.

If that's the case, Smart needs to set the record straight. Right now, he looks like a liar. He wouldn't let Orr get away with that, would he?

Shoving the fan was bad enough. Falsely accusing him of using the "N" word is far worse, in my opinion. Smart clearly has serious character issues. This will negatively affect his draft status.

You must be new to the NBA.

My whole point was that this guy has probably been sitting in that area for a long time and has a lot of friends sitting next to him. I don't think it is implausible that the fans around him defend him over an opposing player who pushed the guy regardless if he said it or didn't.

I'm not saying this guy did or didn't use a racial slur, just that none of his friends around him saying anything doesn't prove it either way. Of course they are going to side with him over Smart regardless.

If you notice the woman behind him is black (as far as I can tell from these pictures).

Logic Dictates that if he used a racial slur and if Smart heard it then so would have others. Well the race baiters come out of the woodwork and jump all over this without any proof. The guy is a jerk but evidence is not there to support racial slur

Logic Dictates that if he used a racial slur and if Smart heard it then so would have others. Well the race baiters come out of the woodwork and jump all over this without any proof. The guy is a jerk but evidence is not there to support racial slur

Very true.

Very true.

By the way Truth- I haven't followed this thread so maybe this has already been said: Nice win for Tubby - considering the train wreck of a squad he inherited there he has done a really nice job with those guys and gotten some good wins lately.

In general, I think that fan behavior is getting worse over the years. Buying a ticket to a game does not give you the right to say or do whatever you want. But teams are loathe to take action against paying customers.

Here's what I find odd - if this guy did not use any racial slurs or profanity, then why is he voluntarily agreeing to not attend any games the rest of the season? It's like he's accepting punishment without having to admit he did anything wrong.

AT the same time, the player should not have had any contact with the fan - but any fan with half a brain has to realize that emotions run high, and taunting an athlete who is bigger and stronger than you are is stupid.

The fan is saying he was out of line to call the player a piece of crap, that I guess is why he is volunteering to punish himself - but of course there's also TT's poor season performance which makes attending TT hoops games probably not the best use of one's time anyway.

I was going to write something very similar. This will not cause one worry from a GM.

Someone from the NBA (can't recall who the "source" was) said the only concerns they have about Smart is his jump shot and that his team keeps losing. Not so much losing his cool and pushing a fan.

I realize I'm probably a loser for saying this, but I'm glad Smart pushed the guy. Lots of big mouths in this world who, I feel, deserve to get punched in the mouth without any repercussions.

I was going to write something very similar. This will not cause one worry from a GM.

I mean, honestly, one of the bigger head cases in the NBA was just drafted top 10 to this very state.

Opinions are all over the map.

ESPN's Jeff Goodman surveys a half-dozen NBA GMs and high-level executives to break down the state of Smart's draft stock.

Some samples of GM reactions:

“Yes. When you are loved more for your intangibles than your tangibles to begin with, how can it not?” one GM asked rhetorically.

"Heavens no," one NBA general manager responded whether the Texas Tech incident will alter his draft stock. "His shooting does."

"I think it will make teams dig a little harder on him," added another. "It may be a red flag."

I still say it hurts him.

Silly. Why should he lose his seat? If that's the case no school could have a student section.

Once again, all the race baiting clowns are wrong. And the irony is they are the ones that propagate more racism than anyone else.

By that logic why should Smart be suspended? Why do we expect the student athlete to carry themselves in a different manner than a middle aged man? Is it because one is black and one is white?

Oh that's right, you voted that you would NOT support the Gophers recruiting an openly gay football player. Your true colors are showing.

By the way Truth- I haven't followed this thread so maybe this has already been said: Nice win for Tubby - considering the train wreck of a squad he inherited there he has done a really nice job with those guys and gotten some good wins lately.

It was a nice win. I liked it just as much as Gophers beating IU. I couldn't watch the Gophers' game since I don't have B1G channel. I watched TT vs OSU game. It seems like Tubby is back. As someone jokingly said, he is doing it with other people's players:) I have added TT to my list of schools that I cheer for and you know why :)

The fan is saying he was out of line to call the player a piece of crap, that I guess is why he is volunteering to punish himself - but of course there's also TT's poor season performance which makes attending TT hoops games probably not the best use of one's time anyway.

This guy has travelled with the team to Alaska as the only fan before. He is very crazy about the BB program.

Opinions are all over the map.

I still say it hurts him.
Just so we are clear, how low will he have to be drafted in order for his event to have 'hurt' him? Last year he was viewed as a unanimous top 5 pick and likely top 3 pick; however, that was a really weak draft. Would he have to be selected outside of the top 10 in order for this event to validate his stock dropping?

By that logic why should Smart be suspended? Why do we expect the student athlete to carry themselves in a different manner than a middle aged man? Is it because one is black and one is white?

Oh that's right, you voted that you would NOT support the Gophers recruiting an openly gay football player. Your true colors are showing.

A few issues with you bold statement. First of all, the difference is not black and white, it is athlete versus fan. Players have stricter codes of conduct than fans.

Second, they did not act the same. One guy used words, the other guy initiated physical contact. If Orr had been running his mouth, and Smart turned around and said "shut up you fat, geriatric f$&*", I wouldn't have cared one bit. Fans all over the country in many sports talk trash, and I can't think of any sport where an athlete attacking a fan is acceptable.

Oh, another judge. Do you plan on publishing your criteria for those deserving violent treatment or just let a shot to the chops speak for itself?

NO...I don't plan on publishing, but 50 year old grown men that flick off/mimic with stupid faces/ willingly call "pieces of crap or potentially worse" a 19 year old kid that just happens to not play for your team would make the short list. Thanks for asking.

It is Tubby time! Tubby knocks off another top team on the road. The man can coach and that is not debatable. Go Tubby!

Good for Tubby, definitely exceeding expectations down there. Good man, good coach.

All parties seem to be happy.

Top Bottom