Very excited

Young had VA Tech in the tournament this year. There was only one player that played on the team in 2019 that played on this team. The roster was completely overhauled with Buzz leaving next to nothing. They look like a definite top 20 team next year. Tinkle had Oregon State in the tournament in his 2nd season. Which was their first appearance since 1990. Texas Tech was 80, 155 and 54 in KenPom the three years before Beard took over. In his 2ns season Texas Tech was 11th. That's significant improvement. And did it with a mostly different roster.
Va Tech went 26-9 and made the Sweet Sixteen the year before Mike Young got there. Even if there was turnover among players he certainly didn’t turn the program around.

Oregon State was 8-10 in conference the year before Tinkle got there. His conference records the first two years there were 8-10 and 9-9. (Third year was 1-17.)

Texas Tech was a train wreck for a long time and then made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 9 years the year before Beard got there. Like I said, he definitely took it to the next level, but the rebuild was in place before he got there.

Va Tech went 26-9 and made the Sweet Sixteen the year before Mike Young got there. Even if there was turnover among players he certainly didn’t turn the program around.

Oregon State was 8-10 in conference the year before Tinkle got there. His conference records the first two years there were 8-10 and 9-9. (Third year was 1-17.)

Texas Tech was a train wreck for a long time and then made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 9 years the year before Beard got there. Like I said, he definitely took it to the next level, but the rebuild was in place before he got there.

I was trying to compare those situations to what the Gophers are currently going through. We weren't awful in 2020 or last year, we simply didn't make the tournament. But lost everyone off last year's team. I'm not saying Young has built the program back up. But he's done a great job, with the amount of roster turnover since only 1 guy that played on the 2019 played last year. And it's not like VT is a juggernaut in recruiting. They are historically, probably on par with the Gophers this century in recruiting.

I stand by my statement with Oregon State. Ending a quarter century drought and making the tournament is a big deal.

Texas Tech is similar to VT. Although they weren't as good as VT before the coaching change. I don't believe the rebuild was there at all. They weren't even top 50 in KenPom when he took over. He took over a team that was under .500 the previous 3 seasons and 18-36 in conference those years. And by year 2 the roster looks completely different.

I was trying to compare those situations to what the Gophers are currently going through. We weren't awful in 2020 or last year, we simply didn't make the tournament. But lost everyone off last year's team. I'm not saying Young has built the program back up. But he's done a great job, with the amount of roster turnover since only 1 guy that played on the 2019 played last year. And it's not like VT is a juggernaut in recruiting. They are historically, probably on par with the Gophers this century in recruiting.

I stand by my statement with Oregon State. Ending a quarter century drought and making the tournament is a big deal.

Texas Tech is similar to VT. Although they weren't as good as VT before the coaching change. I don't believe the rebuild was there at all. They weren't even top 50 in KenPom when he took over. He took over a team that was under .500 the previous 3 seasons and 18-36 in conference those years. And by year 2 the roster looks completely different.
Young can really coach but he let a criminal back on his team and is slippery that way. But as a teacher of basketball, very strong.

Top Bottom