Useless Stuff You Should Know

If one is located in downtown Chicago, IL (the Miracle Mile) and heads due south, the state one winds up in before the the Gulf of Mexico is.....

Florida.
I'm curious where you read/heard this, because it isn't accurate.

The coordinates of the Miracle Mile are 41.8948° N, 87.6242° W.

If you head straight south on that line of longitude, at approximately 30.2578° N, 87.6242° W, you enter the Gulf of Mexico between Orange Beach, AL, and Gulf Shores, AL, just south of the Phoenix West 2 Vacation Rental Condominiums.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 093457.png

I'm curious where you read/heard this, because it isn't accurate.

The coordinates of the Miracle Mile are 41.8948° N, 87.6242° W.

If you head straight south on that line of longitude, at approximately 30.2578° N, 87.6242° W, you enter the Gulf of Mexico between Orange Beach, AL, and Gulf Shores, AL, just south of the Phoenix West 2 Vacation Rental Condominiums.

View attachment 23931
I read it on the internet, and perhaps I got my Chicago landmarks incorrect. How about the Navy Pier?

I read it on the internet, and perhaps I got my Chicago landmarks incorrect. How about the Navy Pier?
Nope, still in Alabama. If you put the westernmost point of longitude in Florida (the Flora-Bama Bar and Grill in Pensacola, FL) and head straight north, you're out in the middle of Lake Michigan.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 093457.png

Nope, still in Alabama. If you put the westernmost point of longitude in Florida (the Flora-Bama Bar and Grill in Pensacola, FL) and head straight north, you're out in the middle of Lake Michigan.

View attachment 23932

It appears as though north of the Gulf shoreline there is a little further west AL-FL border than the Flora-Bama Bar, in between Bay Minette, AL and Walnut Hill, FL at 30.867899 - 87.6347044 along the Perido River.

The edge of the Navy Pier is 87.598824. I think further south in Chicago, there are landmarks even further east, just eyeballing it.

From my original statement and the coordinates you gave for the Miracle Mile, by changing just one word, appears to make it accurate:

If one is located in downtown Chicago, IL (the Miracle Mile) and heads due south, the a state one winds up in before the the Gulf of Mexico is.....

Florida.

Last edited:

Fun fact. Too many people posting here don't know the difference between further and farther.
Furthering the discussion, this does not appear to clear things up:

However, be aware that many native speakers also use the adverb form of further to refer to distance, as in these two examples, also from the Learner’s Dictionary:

• He lives further from the office than his boss. (further = at a greater distance)
  • Their house is further down the street. (further = at a greater distance)
It is this adverbial use of further that is most controversial. You can use the adverb further to refer to distance, as many speakers do, but be aware that some people may disagree with your choice of words.

Last edited:

Somewhere in Ireland there's one guy who's too drunk to sign up for Internet service. I kinda want to hang out with that guy for awhile...

1677009106639.png

The time it took to get to 100 million users:
  • Telephone: 75 years
  • Mobile phone: 16 years
  • World Wide Web: 7 years
  • iTunes: 6.5 years
  • Twitter: 5 years
  • Facebook: 4.5 years
  • WhatsApp: 3.5 years
  • Instagram: 2.5 years
  • Apple App Store: 2 years
  • ChatGPT: 2 months