Useless Stuff You Should Know

... and some not useless info you should know. Today in history it was Minnesota that won the Civil War and put an end to slavery in America. This was the decisive moment of the key battle that directly led to the end of the war. My great-great grandpa was in that battle, somehow survived, and was honored with being picket at Appomattox when Lee finally surrendered.

Last edited:

Buena Vista Ski Area in Bemidji, is the only ski area in the United states where there is lift served ski hills on two sides of a continental divide. Monarch in Colorado is scheduled to add a chairlift on their back side by the 2025-2026 season, but for now, if you want to ride lifts on both sides of a U.S. continental divide, Bemidji is the only place you can do it.

1720654784857.png

I posted the full podcast interview of Brian Baumgartner (Kevin Malone from The Office) in the TV series thread but one thing that was interesting to me that he talked about was that they purposely put the actors that were also writers in the annex so they didn't have to be in every shot done in the main office. Those that had a desk in the main office, had to be there in the background even if they weren't part of the scene. This way those that were also writers could do the writing while they weren't in scenes instead of just being in the background all day. Characters like Toby, Kelly and Ryan were also writers.

Brian (Kevin) was also asked what kinds of things he did when being in the background and he said he would be his real-life bills. Because, again, they all had to be there for many of the scenes, so when they were pumping out 25-30 episodes a year, they rarely had any free time to do normal everyday things.

Here's a fact that I'm guessing very few people know. The first president of the United States wasn't George Washington...

It all depends how you define the word "President". John Hanson served as the first president of the United States In Congress Assembled, which was our nation's original government as chartered under the Articles of Confederation. George Washington reported to him and, of course, later served as the first president of our nation's second government, as defined under the Constitution.

Here's a fact that I'm guessing very few people know. The first president of the United States wasn't George Washington...

It all depends how you define the word "President". John Hanson served as the first president of the United States In Congress Assembled, which was our nation's original government as chartered under the Articles of Confederation. George Washington reported to him and, of course, later served as the first president of our nation's second government, as defined under the Constitution.
Hanson's descendents were also our country's first Christian Nationalists.

Last edited:

There's only one MLB park that still has a keyhole - the path between home plate and the mound - and that's Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers since 2000.

View attachment 33005
They used to be wider and apparently they were in place to help the umpires be able to pick pu the ball better and visualize the strike zone. This was back before umps had any training so they needed a lot of help.

1724168341886.png

Voyager 1 was launched in 1977 to study the outer planets of our solar system. In 2012, it exited our Solar System and entered interstellar space and has now traveled about 14.5 billion miles from Earth, making it the farthest human-made object.

It takes light 20 hours and 33 minutes to get to Voyager's current interstellar location, so a round-trip message between the space agency and Voyager takes just under two days.
Some more I suppose useless info on Voyager...

I stopped in to visit the Carter Museum in Fort Worth TX, and they have an exhibit/movie focused on the "golden record" that was included in the Voyager satellites. The movie is called, "Ancient Beacons Long for Notice”. If you get a chance, stop in to look it over. I think the exhibit is moving to San Diego next.

The "Golden Record" contains sounds of Earth. The idea was that if some other race in the universe found the spacecraft, they could gain an understanding of life on Earth by listening to the record. The film documents the controversy that went into deciding what sounds to include on the record- just the good parts of humanity (e.g., birds chirping, children singing), or do you include all of humanity (e.g., bombs exploding, people rioting, etc.)? A complete-truth vs publicity debate, in this case for an entire planet. The person who was in charge of selecting the content, Ann Druyan (Carl Sagen's wife) wanted everything included, NASA just wanted happy stuff. The story documents how Ann managed to sneak the stuff she wanted onto the disk without NASA (or anyone) knowing. I won't spoil the movie by saying how she did it, but IMO it's a pretty interesting move on her part.

1724250867643.png

Last edited:

Interesting thread here. Could it be dated to somewhere in the mid 0 a.d's?

Wade Boggs scoffs at the 20% on 0-2 count. (I remember as a kid hearing how a Boggs' at-bat really never started until the count got to 0-2).

I did an internet search and it seems Baseball Reference has his on-base percentage at .344 when the count was 0-2. For point of reference, Kirby's lifetime OBP was .360.

What a performance by Joey Chestnut today! He sets a new world record eating 83 hotdogs (unofficial at this time)

Top Bottom