USC fires Clay Helton

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Let’s the coaching carousel begin. Fleck likely already rumored for it.

The first article I saw about it included a list of candidates. Of course PJ was on the list along with Matt Campbell, James Franklin, etc. I really think reporters have a list of coaches they just cut-and-paste into any article about a top level program that needs a coach.

USC isn't as an attractive job as everyone makes it out to be. There are a lot of challenges to overcome to win there. They were declining from their 70s heyday until Carroll was able to resurrect them, thanks to a little outside help.

I don't see any of these candidates leaving their current jobs for USC, except for maybe Elliott. My guess is it will be someone not on this list.

USC isn't as an attractive job as everyone makes it out to be. There are a lot of challenges to overcome to win there. They were declining from their 70s heyday until Carroll was able to resurrect them, thanks to a little outside help.

I don't see any of these candidates leaving their current jobs for USC, except for maybe Elliott. My guess is it will be someone not on this list.
Why wouldn’t Fickell leave?

The East Coast bias is so strong that the reporters can't even think of an active coaching candidate with any ties to California. The best they can do is Cristobal who's from Miami and isn't leaving Oregon for USC.

It's very likely that it won't be some fantasy draft pick of a coach from some CFP mainstay but someone with ties to USC's program or at least to California and the Pac 12.

Get the word out quick!!!! PJ is nothing but a used car salesman with too many slogans. Nobody will hire a guy like that.

Then we get him forever.

Take that Southern Cal.

The East Coast bias is so strong that the reporters can't even think of an active coaching candidate with any ties to California. The best they can do is Cristobal who's from Miami and isn't leaving Oregon for USC.

It's very likely that it won't be some fantasy draft pick of a coach from some CFP mainstay but someone with ties to USC's program or at least to California and the Pac 12.
It is pretty sad when they basically can't come up with one name West of the Mississippi that is up an coming enough to take the job.

Does Peterson ever coach again? He’d be a great hire.

If you’re going to fire him after one bad loss, why not just do it last offseason? Makes little sense.

Done deal then.
I may be in the minority but I don't think Fickell leaves. He is on the cusp of P5* and has never lived outside of the state of Ohio. He has little kids and seems to put family at the forefront which makes me think he keeps his family rooted in Cincinnati (or Columbus).

My best guess is James Franklin -- with the wild card being a Kiffin homecoming.

Top Bottom