USA Today's Wolken: Everyone in industry knows Minnesota wants a coaching change

Okay you guys are being too Minnesotan here. This job is better than you think. Great metro area, nice stadium, facilities, five straight bowl games and loyal fans that show up early and stay late.

Nice! :D

y'all got to understand that our weather is objectively garbage for college athletes, especially southern kids coming up here. it was colder than on mars' surface last weekend ffs guys. we have to make use of our competitive advantages because we sure as **** dont have 1. a lot of D1 athletes coming out of MN every year and 2. dont have a winning tradition/great fanbase to sell.

you would think a 'major metro area' with 'so many fortune 500 companies' that one of those advantages would be elite donor support through facilities and we dont even have that. i'll be happy when the athletes village is done but lets be honest guys that MIGHT get us to the middle third of the conference. for ****s sake northwestern is dropping a hundred million more on theirs and it looks stunning. we will continue to do things on the cheap (including hiring) because thats what a vast majority of minnesotans are, cheap.

why arent we investing big time in medicine and athletic training through the university - partner with mayo like the wolves did and have first class treatment and medical staff (and a university degree program to churn more of those types out).

Who do you think is the least regarded among serious
college football followers: Troy Calhoun, Ken Niumatololo, or Tracy Claeys?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That has nothing to do with the question. More highly regarded people are in worse jobs all the time.

Boise, for sure. The service academies have recruiting restrictions, but they are better jobs. There are AAC schools in much more fertile recruiting ground with greater chance to succeed, too. If you're an ambitious up and comer, going to a San Diego State is going to be better for your long term career than here.

Ha, ha... do you really believe that any of those schools are better than a middle of the pack B1G school with all the BTN money? I can't believe how quickly so called "fans" can throw their school under the bus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is your threshold for a terrible job? Of the power 5 schools, you can count the worse ones on one hand and have a couple of fingers left IMO. And there are quite a few non-P5s that would probably be better jobs at the moment.

In the B1G alone, Minnesota is a better job than Indiana, Rutgers and Northwestern and probably better than Purdue and Illinois.

There are worse jobs in almost every Power 5 conference: Wake Forest, BC, Kansas, Oregon State, Arizona, Vanderbilt, etc. There are very few non-power 5 jobs that are better, excluding ND.

Boise, for sure. The service academies have recruiting restrictions, but they are better jobs. There are AAC schools in much more fertile recruiting ground with greater chance to succeed, too. If you're an ambitious up and comer, going to a San Diego State is going to be better for your long term career than here.

No impartial coach would take any of those jobs over MN. Temple just won the AAC. They lost their coach to a cratering mess at Baylor and the one before that to BC.

No impartial coach would take any of those jobs over MN. Temple just won the AAC. They lost their coach to a cratering mess at Baylor and the one before that to BC.

In other words, if you want to advance your career, Temple is a good place to do it. I wasn't including Temple in my list, but there are others in that league, like Houston, Cincy, Memphis, even USF that may not be "final destination" types of jobs, but they may be better for your career long-term.

Is Minnesota the worst job out there? Maybe not. Is it in the bottom half of the 64 P5 schools? Not debatable. I'd argue it's easily bottom quartile if you look at what some of those programs you listed have been able to do once in a while and relatively recently that the Gophers haven't sniffed. Even Rutgers was ranked as high as #3 at one point within the last decade or so. Kansas was in the 2008 Orange Bowl.

You went from this:

Of the power 5 schools, you can count the worse ones on one hand and have a couple of fingers left IMO.

to this:

Is it in the bottom half of the 64 P5 schools? Not debatable.

You sound like a good defensive back prospect with your ability to backpedal. Do you realize how tremendous the difference is between bottom 4 and bottom 32?

Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery is an AAC coach on the rise, but he recently signed an extension. He has strong ties to Texas for recuiting and is known for running high power offenses.
Might be worth looking into...

Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery is an AAC coach on the rise, but he recently signed an extension. He has strong ties to Texas for recuiting and is known for running high power offenses.
Might be worth looking into...

So you think a Briles disciple would be a good choice to clean up the program after an alleged sexual assault situation?

So you think a Briles disciple would be a good choice to clean up the program after an alleged sexual assault situation?
He may be an excellent head coach candidate for the Gophers, he may not be...
I'm not assuming anything.

You went from this:

to this:

You sound like a good defensive back prospect with your ability to backpedal. Do you realize how tremendous the difference is between bottom 4 and bottom 32?

Those goalposts, they a movin'

I don't recall a lot of praise for hiring Darrel Hazel, but I could be wrong. The point is, they got a strong candidate who probably had other options. We can too. This isn't a great job, but it's also not terrible.

Maybe go read his bio. Asst. HC at OSU, got Kent St. ranked in top 25 for first time in almost 40 years. Hiring a "good" coach or hot mid-major HC is not the cure-all. That's my point with the Purdue comparison.

I agree that this can a pretty good place to coach, no question. I just don't agree that this is all on TC and he should be jettisoned like many posting here feel.

Top Bottom