USA Today's Wolken: Everyone in industry knows Minnesota wants a coaching change

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Local speculation has been that Coyle didn't want a new coach until the facilities are done. The move may come sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyle should not be in a position to fire or hire a new coach.

Local speculation has been that Coyle didn't want a new coach until the facilities are done. The move may come sooner.

I want a new AD. This one is worse than Mega Tongue

Duh. That's why Claeys wasn't afraid to speak out against his boss in support of his players.

Claeys did just enough to keep his job this year but he was never getting an extension. Even before this situation the high assistant coaches buyout saved his job.

Go Gophers!!
This jibes with Coyle's silence toward the end of the season, even as he announced that Claeys would be back.

But who would want to come now? Next year won't be too bad, but losing three quarters of the secondary and potentially the starting QB to suspension/expulsion will keep us out of the bowl picture. But we lose a lot of seniors across both lines after next year, and the bottom drops out when you add the the penalties and transfers we can expect. We could be Purdue in two years.

coyle will keep claeys another year unless leach goes all 2006 on us and annihilates the gophers in the holiday bowl - no point in axing the guy when the facilities arent done yet.

Go Gophers!!

Who the hell is Dan Wolken? Why do we care what he says?

Maybe Fleck has agreed to job and Coyle agreed to not announce until after Cotton Bowl. We can all wish.

coyle will keep claeys another year unless leach goes all 2006 on us and annihilates the gophers in the holiday bowl - no point in axing the guy when the facilities arent done yet.

This is why Coyle should go as well then. Lead or get out of the way Coyle. If the sentiment is that no move should be done till the facilities are done then why oh why didn't we stick with Goetz...

This is why Coyle should go as well then. Lead or get out of the way Coyle. If the sentiment is that no move should be done till the facilities are done then why oh why didn't we stick with Goetz...

It's Coyle that wants to hire a coach when the facility is done, not the University. He wants fresh coach a facility.

Brian Murphy has been pushing the Clayes being fired narrative pretty hard.
Murphy is writting for a paper on life support (Pioneer Press). He somehow needs to get attention.

Who the hell is Dan Wolken? Why do we care what he says?

Spoofin is usually in the ballpark and I like his logic.

Coyle just threw his own coach under the bus, and alienated the entire team with his reaction to the incident. I'm sure lots of top-flight coaches will be lining up to play for an AD like that.......................not!

It's Coyle that wants to hire a coach when the facility is done, not the University. He wants fresh coach a facility.

Maturi had the stones to make a move prior to the stadium being done. If Coyle thinks Claeys isn't his guy, why didn't he make the move earlier? Wouldn't it have made more sense to bring in a new guy now so he can ring in the new facilities? Support Claeys or move on.

Obviously, I am not impressed with Coyle right now. Goetz would have been a much better return on investment.

Coyle just threw his own coach under the bus, and alienated the entire team with his reaction to the incident. I'm sure lots of top-flight coaches will be lining up to play for an AD like that.......................not!

When did you decide that was the right number of ...'s to stop? Totally curious.

When did you decide that was the right number of ...'s to stop? Totally curious.

Actually, I had more..... earlier, and I cut some out to get the sentence on one line. Sarcasm is a tricky thing to get right - and to understand sometimes.

Snark aside, I think it's a valid point. If you are a 'name' coach, or an up-and-coming coach with options, would you really choose the U of MN considering everything that's going on? I think most coaches want to work for an AD who supports the program and provides strong leadership. Can you honestly say Coyle has demonstrated either of those qualities? Unless you're a coach whose idea of a great AD is one who hides under his desk when there's trouble.

And you think the players are unhappy now...fire Claeys and we may not have a football team for awhile. You can't let the guy coach the bowl game and then fire him either, that makes no sense. That will lead to mutiny. And If you were going to fire him for the 17 year old recruit it should have been in September not months later and blaming him for that is a slippery slope. Are you Firing the next coach for the next incident that he has no control over as well? You trust people, they screw up sometimes.

And for you guys who think these facilities magically do anything...you are delusional. The facilities by themselves do squat. You wouldn't not take the job because of the current facilities and you are not basing your decision to accept on the new facilities...it's a piece to the checklist of making your decision. Leadership, who you work for is absolutely at the top of the list. I would not trust my future with Mr Coyle. Then on top of that Kaler has a longer track record of failure. Then you have the antagonistic EOAA looming. Somebody who has no other options may take the money...nobody seems interested in Les Miles. But firing Claeys starts this all over again....there are still the buyouts of the assistants...you firing them too? If so, prepare for chaos. The players are obviously not happy with administration as it is.

Somehow playing well in the bowl game helps this program a lot right now. That's a tall order with the matchup.

Maybe Fleck has agreed to job and Coyle agreed to not announce until after Cotton Bowl. We can all wish.

Lol stop

Don't get my hopes up

Although it would be kind of smart. Target him now when there aren't any other Power 5 offerings available

Woah, what if Coyle thought this was a way to can TC but it actually backfired on him and now he might get canned himself?! Thoughts?!?

Heck, I thought everyone knew Coyle's hand was forced by Board of Regents chair Dean Johnson's comments on the day after the Wisconsin game. Once he proclaimed support for Claeys, an extension was a done deal. As far as I know, nothing's been signed yet. I doubt the terms of any extension will favor Claeys, nor should they.

Coyle and Kaler really effed this whole thing up. Nobody looks good.

Claeys will be fine...he is a great DC and the SEC will welcome him with open arms and he will make more money in the long run. If he can build a top 25 defense with our 2 and 3 star recruits, imagine what he could do with a top 15 recruiting class?

Coyle has not shown he is up for the job any more than Claeys. I have trouble seeing how either of them can stay. Since there is talk of getting rid of football and Minnesota is the laughingstock of the country...and Mr. Still is tweeting out that the victim needs to be in handcuffs...the lack of control here goes up to the AD. After so many years of lackluster performances why not stick with hockey and basketball...sports where we have shown far more success.

Basketball has had a lot of success?? Did you watch any basketball last year? Worst team in Gophers history. The Big 10 schedule starts soon, maybe they will finish .500, yay!

Maturi had the stones to make a move prior to the stadium being done. If Coyle thinks Claeys isn't his guy, why didn't he make the move earlier? Wouldn't it have made more sense to bring in a new guy now so he can ring in the new facilities? Support Claeys or move on.

Obviously, I am not impressed with Coyle right now. Goetz would have been a much better return on investment.

Partly because the buyout is $3M right now. All assistants are guaranteed for next season. Coyle thought he would get a fair honeymoon with football with Claeys holding ship, IMO. He walked into the wrestling mess and now football.

If Claeys leaves, no established coach will work for Coyle and Kaler.

Minnesota has been a bad job for over 40 years. It is now terrible.

Look forward to 2 -10 seasons if Claeys leaves. Happy New Year!

I don't get all of the 'fire Coyle' takes on here, but if he's basing it on the outcome of the Bowl game, then fire Coyle.

If Claeys leaves, no established coach will work for Coyle and Kaler.

Minnesota has been a bad job for over 40 years. It is now terrible.

Look forward to 2 -10 seasons if Claeys leaves. Happy New Year!

Gopher fans tend to be remarkably capable of both spectacularly over-estimating and under-estimating the quality of the job. Purdue just hired a good coach. Enough said.

Gopher fans tend to be remarkably capable of both spectacularly over-estimating and under-estimating the quality of the job. Purdue just hired a good coach. Enough said.

Purdue is also paying said good coach over 3 million dollars a year.

Top Bottom