USA TODAY: Dabo has 'zero doubt' football will start on time

I thought football has always been unsafe to play?

Are you only concerned about the players, or do the coaches, cheerleaders and spectators count with you as well?

Apparently they do not, judging by your comment.

Wait, wait... is this an attempt at being witty? If so, hey, uhhhh... what a knee-slapper! Chortle.

Do you work in a lab? Are you a doctor that is going to write the script for two teams and staff to get tested for no fundamentally sound reason? Are you seriously thinking of wasting the time of an entire lab to play a football game? Is this not the same stupid argument that every team, of every sport, of every event is going to make? Let's put something in perspective. A whole lot of other tests have been backlogged and not being done now that have to be done after the pandemic has past. And, you think football gets a free ride to get in line and jump the line to play football? You are that confident that football warrants this special treatment? It is an unethical use of resources for one. There are many people that are going to come flooding back for help. Every non essential surgeries will be squeezed into the next several months. Then, the weary staff is going to want to go on vacation after working long hours and days from now til then. And, then it becomes flu season again. Give me a break!

You are absolutely crazy. You haven't thought this through, at all. This is more American brand mega magical thinking day.
Just playing devils advocate here. Don't you think that the NFL, NCAA, etc. are big enough financially to hire their own team of lab techs, buy all the stuff and just do the tests themselves. It's like those quick strep test kits. You don't have to be a doctor to get them/use them. I just see the financial side of this and think that they might just be like damn it to hell let's just get all our own stuff. I think there is enough time to potentially plan/do this. Also, I got a kick out of everyone using a mask comment. Use, don't use. No one knows what the hell to do and if it were only that easy right?

If there is football being played this coming fall, it will be because it is safe at that point to do so. Well, at least I hope it will be because it's safe... and not because the powers that be gave up, threw up their hands and said, "Screw it! Let's just go back to doing things the way we always have, and let the chips fall where they may."

If it is safe to play football by the autumn of 2020, do you think it's likely to have been made safe because of something Dabo Swinney did?

If that's the case — if Dabo develops a vaccine, or Dabo designs a really effective coping/safety protocol that people can follow to avoid spreading the virus — then I assure you I'll try like hell to be first in line to give him credit for doing so.

Not my point, sir!

If we play football, what Dabo said will not exist.

If we don't play football, what Dabo said WILL EXIST.

It aint rocket science!

Do you work in a lab? Are you a doctor that is going to write the script for two teams and staff to get tested for no fundamentally sound reason? Are you seriously thinking of wasting the time of an entire lab to play a football game? Is this not the same stupid argument that every team, of every sport, of every event is going to make? Let's put something in perspective. A whole lot of other tests have been backlogged and not being done now that have to be done after the pandemic has past. And, you think football gets a free ride to get in line and jump the line to play football? You are that confident that football warrants this special treatment? It is an unethical use of resources for one. There are many people that are going to come flooding back for help. Every non essential surgeries will be squeezed into the next several months. Then, the weary staff is going to want to go on vacation after working long hours and days from now til then. And, then it becomes flu season again. Give me a break!

You are absolutely crazy. You haven't thought this through, at all. This is more American brand mega magical thinking day.

What's it going to look like in August?

Tell me!

Thanks

The GOAL

the GOAL

I HOPE

I HOPE

I HOPE

We'll be meeting with a lot of people to see if it can be done. I'm hopeful to have everyone working by Easter Day, but every decision we make is grounded in the health, safety, and well being of our citizens.

Try listening with your ears open and not having Cuomo, Maddow or Morning Joe Clown, telling you what he said. Listen for yourself.

I will be waiting for a RICKMAN55 response!

Last edited:

The GOAL is for the gophers to win the west

I HOPE the gophers win the west.

Did I just say the gophers will win the west? Did I?

Fleck had better never say the goal is to win the west, because if we don't, some of you people will bury him.

Last edited:

Not my point, sir!

If we play football, what Dabo said will not exist.

If we don't play football, what Dabo said WILL EXIST.

It aint rocket science!

What Dabo said "won't exist?"

Huh?

What Dabo said "won't exist?"

Huh?

If we do have football, what he said will vanish into thin air, never to be heard again. It won't exist! No one will say a word about Dabo being right.

If he's wrong, it will be brought up over and over and over. Dabo will hear about it into oblivion. Guess which ones will be letting him hear about it.

Last edited:

I have little issue with Dabo giving the answer he did. He’s not the president, or the Surgeon General, or the state health commissioner, or the NCAA commissioner. He’s a CFB coach who is being optimistic that he can do his job this fall. He’s not going to be able actually do anything that can put people in harm’s way. I suspect if anything there may be fall sports without spectators.

It will be interesting however to see if the players would be safe, not from an infection standpoint, but from injury, as I’m sure most of them don’t have access to much strength training from a few months here.

Dabo is a dork and an idiot. Good football coach though.

Reactions: Go4

There will be no college football this fall. Are you stupid Dabo? A second wave of the covid-19 would hit the country causing even more economic pain. When we have a vaccine, then some sense of normalcy will return. Not before.

Neither team physician will order Covid 19 tests with a patient with no need for the test. Do you think labs have nothing better to do then run 200 tests for the hell of it when real sick people have to be served by those labs? The arrogance of the normal football fan is blithely foolish and self centered.

How does a self centered person screw in a lightbulb? He holds the bulb up and waits for the world to turn around him.

People need entertainment for morale. Id say there is literally zero chance that there are no sporting events (televised, no fans maybe) worlwide before the end of the year.

[QUOTE="Goldteam, post: 1941971, member: 511"
Well, Rickman left with absolutely nothing to say!
[/QUOTE]

You're an absolutely trash poster. Football or basketball, it don't matter. Please go make it with some kind or varmint and leave us educated types to converse on this here board.

Last edited:

Hey, I want football back as much as the next guy.

But I'm realistic enough to understand that, in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot more important things going on than whether a football game is played in August or September.

The decision on whether to play or not play will not be made by coaches, fans, bookies or TV executives. It will be made by medical personnel.

Because - if doctors like Fauci or Birx say they cannot recommend that games resume - there is not going to be football.

Now, if I had to bet my own money, I will bet that there will be games this fall - but most likely with no fans in the stands. And I would not be surprised to see the college football season start a few weeks later with a conference-games-only schedule.

However - if there is a second wave of infections this fall, then all bets are off.

Why would we shut things down if there is a '2nd wave'? And why do so many expect a '2nd wave' to be as bad or worse than this one?

Why would we shut things down if there is a '2nd wave'? And why do so many expect a '2nd wave' to be as bad or worse than this one?
Not sure if this is an unfounded story or not. So many of them out there. KARE 11 does a nice job of straightening these out nightly as to true and false. With this particular disease, some medical experts believe we may have a 2nd wave to this current situation. Hope it isn't true as Trump has eliminated two boards that I'm aware of that helps deal with this sort of thing. If nothing else he needs to listen to the doctors and get these boards back up and running again.

Trying not to get anyone upset about the boards, but we've fallen behind in this category. We need to work with the doctors from other countries.

Not sure if this is an unfounded story or not. So many of them out there. KARE 11 does a nice job of straightening these out nightly as to true and false. With this particular disease, some medical experts believe we may have a 2nd wave to this current situation. Hope it isn't true as Trump has eliminated two boards that I'm aware of that helps deal with this sort of thing. If nothing else he needs to listen to the doctors and get these boards back up and running again.

Trying not to get anyone upset about the boards, but we've fallen behind in this category. We need to work with the doctors from other countries.

Tell me about these “boards,” and what they’re able to do that the current task force can’t.

There has been a lot of talk about this from an economics perspective. The idea is that if you end the social distancing polices too early then there will be a wave of new infections that come much more quickly then the first because the infected people will already be a part of the population (rather than migrants) and more dispersed, so it will hit in more areas, more quickly.

The reason that economists have clued in on this is that it happened during the Spanish Flu, and there's no reason to think it wouldn't happen here. There will almost certainly be a 'second wave'. There's a decent chance that it will be much worse than the first.

This isn't 1918. Our technology and ability to handle diseases is so far advanced compared to what it was for the Spanish flu.

I don't doubt this disease will be around in the fall, it's already everywhere. People continue to forget the original point of social distancing. That is to slow the spread to not overwhelm our healthcare facilities, not eliminate it. Our healthcare facilities were not prepared for what we have today, but have plenty of time to prepare for additional waves, if they occur.

Tell me about these “boards,” and what they’re able to do that the current task force can’t.
For starters the task force lead by Pence doesn't do a very good job of listening to the doctors and other experts in the field. Much contradiction and this occurred today big time again.

The one board works with setting up having equipment ready for any virus that may hit us. We were completely caught off guard with that one. The other one is where the doctors will work with the doctors from other countries particularly China to deal with meds and also what needs to be done. We had no representation. Pence and Kuscher is not the answer to lead.

For starters the task force lead by Pence doesn't do a very good job of listening to the doctors and other experts in the field. Much contradiction and this occurred today big time again.

The one board works with setting up having equipment ready for any virus that may hit us. We were completely caught off guard with that one. The other one is where the doctors will work with the doctors from other countries particularly China to deal with meds and also what needs to be done. We had no representation. Pence and Kuscher is not the answer to lead.

I was hoping to learn something, but all I got from that is you don’t like Trump or Pence. I’m sure all of those things you mentioned can be, and probably are being accomplished without the “boards” you speak of.

What's it going to look like in August?

Tell me!

Thanks

When this pandemic started, zero people had immunity, which is just a chance to fight it off with both innate and then develop acquired immunity. We have had less than 1% of our people with this disease. 99% have not had enough of a dose to acquire the disease. We are trying to contain it to that 1%. Do you think the other 99% are safe if we still have asymptomatic carriers wandering around a stadium, or 300 stadiums spreading this disease en masse? We could be near zero in the fall with cases and then have a rebound, a second wave that makes the first wave look like a picnic if we go back to business as usual. We don't know what business as usual means. We do not know what the new normal looks like. It is not that difficult to do a thought exercise on this problem that is relevant to what our next steps should be. I doubt life looks anything like it was before. But, it is your thought exercise and mine to do. How do we go about the new normal? If the result is packed football stadiums in your mind, then I recommend that you go back and rethink your next steps in life. That is my suggestion to you.

How do you return to work? How do you socialize? How do you secure goods without passing on the infection? How do I protect my family, friends, countrymen? How do I restructure my job for the new service, new product, and new culture?

Friends, you are all going to determine what August looks like.

When this pandemic started, zero people had immunity, which is just a chance to fight it off with both innate and then develop acquired immunity. We have had less than 1% of our people with this disease. 99% have not had enough of a dose to acquire the disease.

No one actually knows when this started in the US and how many people have been infected.

Top Bottom