US Bank Stadium needs $280M in maintenance through 2033

$21M was spent on leaky windows. $48M needed next year to fix a host of problems. It makes it look like they built in obsolescence from the start. It makes the U stadium debt look like a pittance.

What are the expected up keep costs of Target Field, Xcel Energy center and Target Center? They also have NOTHING to do with MN Gophers football.

The story states 527K was paid for a facility inspection on the 7 year old building, which should tell you everything you need to know. I’d like to see an hourly cost breakdown...

You're getting fleeced, folks. Have been for years. Demand better.
Yep, and our governor is sending us a $17,000 a month rental bill for a home on Lake Minnetonka while his mansion gets renovations. It never ends in Minnesota.

The story states 527K was paid for a facility inspection on the 7 year old building, which should tell you everything you need to know. I’d like to see an hourly cost breakdown...

You're getting fleeced, folks. Have been for years. Demand better.

Huh?

Yep, and our governor is sending us a $17,000 a month rental bill for a home on Lake Minnetonka while his mansion gets renovations. It never ends in Minnesota.
It's not his mansion, and he didn't pick the temporary residence. The home in question is owned by a big Republican donor.

Big building, guessing it takes a lot to maintain, especially with the amount of foot traffic that occurs in it.

$21M was spent on leaky windows. $48M needed next year to fix a host of problems. It makes it look like they built in obsolescence from the start. It makes the U stadium debt look like a pittance.

This is very concerning. Target Field and Huntington have had some maintenance and upgrades, but nothing compared to what's going on at US Bank. Without really seeing what is going on, it doesn't make sense at all.

On top of all that, the new owners to the Timberwolves want a new place after taxpayers just paid 100 million in upgrades. Where does it end?

What are the expected up keep costs of Target Field, Xcel Energy center and Target Center? They also have NOTHING to do with MN Gophers football.
Yep. The amenities at a pro sports stadium or arena FAR exceed the college ones. More money coming in and much more to maintain.

This is very concerning. Target Field and Huntington have had some maintenance and upgrades, but nothing compared to what's going on at US Bank. Without really seeing what is going on, it doesn't make sense at all.

On top of all that, the new owners to the Timberwolves want a new place after taxpayers just paid 100 million in upgrades. Where does it end?

Never

Danny b. Made a talker about the target field trees for 8 months. Not magical.

The story states 527K was paid for a facility inspection on the 7 year old building
There aren't many companies that do what HKS, Populous do. Not sure there is anything to be done about it.

I doubt the Cowboys pay less for thorough inspections of their stadium?

Last edited:

There aren't many companies that do what KHS, Populous do. Not sure there is anything to be done about it.

I doubt the Cowboys pay less for thorough inspections of their stadium?

Simply saying I’d like to see a breakdown of costs, hourly would be best. The cost of an oil change for say, a Porsche, generally exceeds a Volkswagen by some multiple although the time, process, and underlying tech are in broad strokes the same.

Fox/henhouse. Populous is the builder, inspector, and upgrade contractor, with a blank check?

I’m not mad (in this case), just curious. This kind of stuff is interesting to me.

It ends when the geese finally refuse to lay any more golden eggs.

Was this place built with materials from Menards and put together by people that have a business card hanging at Home Depot?

This is a really bizarre thread with zero relevance to college football or the gophers.
It does have relevance. It shows how smart the U was to have their only involvement in the Viking Ship be the stadium rental during construction.
The "renovation" of Target Center didn't fix anything.

Per the article:

In his proposed budget for 2023, Gov. Tim Walz included $15.7 million to cover the first phase of the secure perimeter around the building.

Vekich expects the MSFA to go to the Legislature next year with a bigger request: $48 million for the perimeter's second phase.

The $48MM is for upgraded perimeter security, not deferred maintenance, or "a host of other problems" as indicated. The OP is misleading at best, and disingenuous at worst.

Simply saying I’d like to see a breakdown of costs, hourly would be best. The cost of an oil change for say, a Porsche, generally exceeds a Volkswagen by some multiple although the time, process, and underlying tech are in broad strokes the same.

Fox/henhouse. Populous is the builder, inspector, and upgrade contractor, with a blank check?

I’m not mad (in this case), just curious. This kind of stuff is interesting to me.
Say it was $537 per man-hour and it took 1000 total man-hours, from traveling up here with a team of 20 (made that up) to do the physical inspecting, documenting, and testing of systems, then analyzing the results and data, and finally coming up with the report and conclusions and presenting them to the USBS management board.

Reasonable or not?

Lawyers charge a lot per hour. I think here too, it is what it is.

Top Bottom