Updated AP Top 25 rankings - Nebraska #23

Oregon has really struggled in both games. How are they ranked higher than USC.

These polls have always been pretty dumb.

RememberMurray reminded us somewhere of that, too, about early polls.

I''m always surprised by who makes the preseason Top-25 and by who ultimately makes the final Top-25

You gotta admit Raiola looks pretty good for a freshman
Nebraska is much better. The QB looks competent to good and the defense is pretty stout. Saw a stat that they did not blitz once in the UTEP game.

However, rankings are dumb this early in the season, at least, until teams have at least two conference games played.

Oregon has really struggled in both games. How are they ranked higher than USC.

These polls have always been pretty dumb.
Eventually they correct themselves but it takes weeks and so much hinges on where you are ranked initially.

One of the smart things they did with the BCS/CFP was deciding to wait until week 8 to release initial rankings because at least it gives some time for things to sort themselves out.

Avoids situations like last year when Colorado got bumped up ridiculously high based on beating a team that was really good in 2022 but significantly worse in 2023 (TCU)

Sometimes I think these teams pay the AP voters for a high ranking and to keep the hype. Nebraska has no recent success and coming off many losing seasons yet continue to get votes. How? Make it make sense
Nebraska had 87,000 fully engaged screaming fans. Lots of Media outlets see the available market and so Nebraska has a lot of poll voters would be my guess.
Gophers had 41,000 and that's probably 30 some padded. And how many media boosters do the Gophers have since Sid died? Answer: not many are passioned enough to vote for the Gophers until we win 10, 11 games.

Last edited:

I watched the Colorado game and came away thinking Colorado is a lot worse than Nebraska is good. The new QB for Nebraska is decent, but has zero chance against competent teams. I think they are a lock for a bowl game, but anything more than 7 regular season wins is a stretch. And there has been no team in the past 20 years better at pissing away a season. So we'll see.

I watched the Colorado game and came away thinking Colorado is a lot worse than Nebraska is good. The new QB for Nebraska is decent, but has zero chance against competent teams. I think they are a lock for a bowl game, but anything more than 7 regular season wins is a stretch. And there has been no team in the past 20 years better at pissing away a season. So we'll see.
I agree with your assessment on Nebraska. They are better and will most likely even clear the low low bar of reaching bowl eligibility for the first time in the past 7 years. But they have not beaten a good team yet so will be interesting to see what happens when they play a competent opponent.

WHY Nebraska gets more hype?
Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 12.11.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 12.06.15 PM.png
Nebraska has twice as many to pushing three times as many fans interested in their program.
Nebraska gets 60,000 to 80,000 people for their spring game. The Gophers don't bother lately.

PJ said we'd need a second deck when he came because he was going to increase demand for seats. Attendance certainly has not spiked for PJ.

Nebraska just has more people interested and passionate about their football team so they get more coverage, more hype.

87,000 on Saturday. Gopher attendance went up last year because we had a home game with Nebraska.

Last edited:

Nebraska has played NO ONE as of yet.... UTEP (yawn)... and Colorado is a dumpster fire.
Agreed. It has to be kind of a crap shoot for these guys to rank teams with all the transfers year to year. Need about 6 weeks to figure out who is who.

Sometimes I think these teams pay the AP voters for a high ranking and to keep the hype. Nebraska has no recent success and coming off many losing seasons yet continue to get votes. How? Make it make sense
A big part of this (IMO) is voters who have pegged Nebraska to be "back" for years jump at the first opportunity to prove they were "right". It's been 7 years, but now they're quick to vote for them because there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Excellent take Sparlimb. Nebraska will be bowl-eligible this year, largely because of their soft schedule, but Ruhle is a good CF HC.

"I watched the Colorado game and came away thinking Colorado is a lot worse than Nebraska is good."

Same for me.

View attachment 33429
View attachment 33430
Nebraska has twice as many to pushing three times as many fans interested in their program.
Nebraska gets 60,000 to 80,000 people for their spring game. The Gophers don't bother lately.

PJ said we'd need a second deck when he came because he was going to increase demand for seats. Attendance certainly has not spiked for PJ.

Nebraska just has more people interested and passionate about their football team so they get more coverage, more hype.

87,000 on Saturday. Gopher attendance went up last year because we had a home game with Nebraska.
Goodness. It's all they have for sports. They filled the stadium throughout the time Frost was there. There's a definite bias, but it's not attendance or that those attending have more votes.

View attachment 33429
View attachment 33430

When did he say this? Answer... never. He might have said that was the goal or something but no way did he say that this would happen.

I wish the Gophers had Nebraska on the schedule this year instead of Illinois. I know the Scott Frost era is over but Minnesota is usually more physical than Neb.

Goodness. It's all they have for sports. They filled the stadium throughout the time Frost was there. There's a definite bias, but it's not attendance or that those attending have more votes.
Not the fans... The interest generated by 80,000 to 90,000 fans gets the attention of far more media outlets looking to get clicks from those fans. The much larger number of media outlets, newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, magazines, online podcasts hoping to get clicks from all those fans put out content....all these have enough eyeballs to qualify or lobby for voting status. A lot more voters in Nebraska than Minnesota because of the fan interest. Media outlets in Minnesota are apathetic to the Gophers because not enough fans are interested compared to Michigan, Ohio St, Penn State, or Nebraska and so we get no love from the media who says why bother. Thats the difference. That's why 90,000 fans matter to generate wide media attention all hoping some of them consume their content.

Coming up on 8 years since PJ's introductory press conference. Looking at him in 2017, you'd swear we are in 2034 today, minimum. Lots of times they are a changin' goin' on.
PJ 2017

Perhaps that ranking is premature but it's not impossible that Nebraska finally could have a good team after 7 losing seasons in a row.
Rhule is a decent coach and has a clear idea of what he wants to establish at Nebraska. They really haven't had that recently. They've had two good coaches since Osborne left. The fan base wasn't satisfied with Solich even though his winning percentage was .753 (.688 in conference play). Pelini was also a good coach and got results, but I'm sure Nebraska got tired of paying for having a couple of EMTs on the sideline ready with the straitjacket. Frost, though darling of the fan base when hired, was an absolute disaster.

Last edited:

ADD 30,000 Seats in Year 3
“You see, we have 55,000 seats in our stadium, but my plan already three years down the road is to expand it to 85,000,” Fleck told an audience of high school and youth football coaches via shamasportsheadliners.com.
Ok, thanks. That's basically what I guessed. It's a goal (plan). He did not say for certain that we'd need a second deck. I get a little testy about revisionist history. There is a big difference between "I want this to happen" and "This will happen." Do I think we are anywhere close to needing a 2nd deck? No. Do I fault PJ for wanting it to happen? No.

Last edited:

I wrote earlier that Nebraska will win more games this year than Iowa,Wisconsin, or the Gophers. Still feel that way.

Rhule is a decent coach and has a clear idea of what he wants to establish at Nebraska. They really haven't had that recently. They've had two good coaches since Osborne left. The fan base wasn't satisfied with Solich even though his winning percentage was .753 (.688 in conference play). Pelini was also a good coach and got results, but I'm sure Nebraska got tired of paying for having a couple of EMTs on the sideline ready with the straitjacket. Frpst, though darling of the fan base when hired, was an absolute disaster.
Yep, it's a big conspiracy to pump up Nebby.

ADD 30,000 Seats in Year 3
“You see, we have 55,000 seats in our stadium, but my plan already three years down the road is to expand it to 85,000,” Fleck told an audience of high school and youth football coaches via shamasportsheadliners.com.
"Fleck said that in order to make that jump, Minnesota will have to get fans that don’t care about football to commit to regularly attending games."

In Minnesota I think you'd have to win 10+ games a year for about 5-6 years with a B1G championship or two sprinkled in there and a good run in the CFP.
Oh, and you'd need the Vikings fans. The purple would have to extremely suck during that span. Suck so bad that they wouldn't even have a chance to choke in the playoffs...again.

View attachment 33429
View attachment 33430

I'm not going to get into why we don't have 85,000 people sitting in a stadium in Minn, but instead why NEB does. There's just not a whole lot to do there outside of NEB sports scene. So, heading into Lincoln 7 or so times in the fall is a big deal. (Unlike the Mpls/St. Paul metro which has 200+ things to do any given Sat).

Next, I point to this, have you ever seen the tanking video/AD promoted by the NEB board of tourism for the state and is prominently featured on their site. I show you this because this is the competition that NEB football has on a Sat afternoon. If this is the best thing your state has to offer/promote that kind of says it all.

Side Note: woman wearing viking helmet/hat - hilarious based on our audience here.

Last edited:

I'm not going to get into why we don't have 85,000 people sitting in a stadium in Minn, but instead why NEB does. I go back to a roommate of mine from college who grew up in rural SD and I asked him what they did on Saturdays when he was in high school. He was like there isn't anything to do so we pretty much drank. Your parents then, pretty much sitting with the neighbors having a drink or at the VFW. That's how I often picture a lot of NEB. So, heading into Lincoln 7 or so times in the fall is a big deal. (Unlike the Mpls/St. Paul metro which has 200+ things to do).

Next, I point to this, have you ever seen the tanking video/AD promoted by the NEB board of tourism for the state and is prominently featured on their site. I show you this because this is the competition that NEB football has on a Sat afternoon. If this is the best thing your state has to offer/promote that kind of says it all.

Side Note: woman wearing viking helmet/hat - hilarious based on our audience here.

I love the people of Nebraska and I think Ruhle is a good coach and Osborne was pure class...so I am bi-polar on the Cornhuskers. I want them to lose - usually - but I have fond memories of Keith Jackson calling a Nebraska-Oklahoma game on one of the three channels when I was a kid in Hutchinson.

Well, the new Top 25 poll is out and NEB is #23. So, I watched much of the game last night and that is the best the NEB Def has looked in 10 yrs. However, lets consider they beat UTEP and a Colorado squad that will likely win 4 games as both their lines are horrid. Also, remember that NDSU scored 26 and NEB managed 28. At the same time, we know that common sense has little to do with it when they start trying to hype NEB. Thoughts??

Side Note: How is Wisky even getting votes?

First-place votes in parentheses
  1. Georgia (54)
  2. Texas (4)
  3. Ohio State (5)
  4. Alabama
  5. Ole Miss
  6. Missouri
  7. Tennessee
  8. Penn State
  9. Oregon
  10. Miami
  11. USC
  12. Utah
  13. Oklahoma State
  14. Kansas State
  15. Oklahoma
  16. LSU
  17. Michigan
  18. Notre Dame
  19. Louisville
  20. Arizona
  21. Iowa State
  22. Clemson
  23. Nebraska
  24. Boston College
  25. Northern Illinois
Receiving Votes: Illinois 101, Boise St. 77, Texas A&M 68, Syracuse 63, Memphis 38, Washington 27, Iowa 24, Kansas 22, Vanderbilt 18, South Carolina 10, Liberty 9, Wisconsin 9, UNLV 7, North Carolina 7, California 3, BYU 2, UCF 1, TCU 1
As a Gophers fan...I quit paying attention to any of this. And quit watching our games too.

I'm done being a glutton-for-punishnent.

Nebraska up 28 to 3 in the 4th
Colorado over rival Colorado St 28 to 3 in 4th

Nebraska QB talented but his Mahomes impersonation I find super annoying

Last edited:

Top Bottom