Updated 2023 Roster

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score

Lots of number changes. Cooper listed and Bixby gone.

Players in their final season: Bishop, Jeffries, Collins, Selig, Tyler, Crooms, Nubin, Weeks, Stapp, Baugh, CAB, Bryce, Shaw, Boe, BSF. Only seven are original Gophers.

Last edited:

Bixby is gone? I don't remember that.
Yeah, I don't see anything related to him entering the transfer portal...either this is a mistake or there's some sort of "retiring from football" announcement coming as I believe the window to transfer is closed until the spring...

Yeah, I don't see anything related to him entering the transfer portal...either this is a mistake or there's some sort of "retiring from football" announcement coming as I believe the window to transfer is closed until the spring...
Medical retirement

Medical retirement
I don't know if it's related but he had a really strange medical condition while he was in HS where he was almost allergic to his own sweat. I don't know if it's related but it sounded pretty awful.

There was a rumor going around that we were going to lose a surprise DE from last year's class and it wasn't Anthony Smith.

Whatever it is with Bixby, I hope he heals up.

Bixby is Kyle Goblirsch's son, so I'm sure there's been talk on 247 Gopher Illustrated about it. (sigh, someday I'll rejoin that site)

I always give credit to athletes that make the best health decisions for themselves. I was over the moon when he committed to MN, but I wish him the best.

3/4 more to get down to 85 with Bixby news and will likely know by end of spring practice.

Kenrick is listed at 6’1. Saw some site have 6’3” and Rivals 6’4”. Quite a difference at receiver position.

Only early enrollee freshman appear to have numbers.

Damn, top HS recruit for 2022. Gone.

4 of the top 6 from 2021 are Gone.

Damn, top HS recruit for 2022. Gone.

4 of the top 6 from 2021 are Gone.
That's pretty much the same for the 19 and 20 classes as well. Roster turnover is very high in CFB. Bixby, White, Ortiz, Irving, James, Makapaitola, Brown, Thomas, Burns, Mann, Clark, Cheney, etc. Don't thing that many of the them have made an impact elsewhere; Irving.

That's pretty much the same for the 19 and 20 classes as well. Roster turnover is very high in CFB. Bixby, White, Ortiz, Irving, James, Makapaitola, Brown, Thomas, Burns, Mann, Clark, Cheney, etc. Don't thing that many of the them have made an impact elsewhere; Irving.
It would be a massive undertaking but would be fascinating to go class by class at each school and look at attrition rates. Has always been a thing but I would bet that it has really exploded over the past few seasons.

Sure. Absolutely that CFB rosters are going to have a lot of churn, no matter what. Agreed

Why can't it be that our top recruits are the hits, and the lower guys move on? Hey, whomever is the best is who should play and I'm glad is playing for us. Of course. Just like .... when we actually get a high level recruit, they don't pan out? :( For sure there are great exceptions, as always.

If someone analyzes each recruiting class under PJ Fleck and Jerry Kill, what interesting data will we find?

I will be interested in the attrition data Year 1 to 4 for each recruiting class. It will not surprise me if less than 25% are left from each class by Year 4. Which of the high recruits pan out? How many recruits end up with medical retirements? One died under Kill and Fleck. How many of the lower-rated recruits end up becoming stars and even get drafted? How many walk-ons end earned scholarships and turned into good/great players?

It seems like PJ Fleck attracts a lot of quality walk-ons which is great insurance. The Gophers have to work their magic and constantly recruit. PJ Fleck said his job is to out-recruit the existing roster. He is right. The Transfer Portal came at the right time.

The Gophers will never match the talent level of programs like tOSU. They will keep up with their peers in their tier group and occasionally surprise them. Football discipline, fundamentals, and team death are better.

It’s interesting how many of these 4 star recruits never work out. I watch a lot of college football and it seems like that group has a lot of misses. Maybe it’s because they aren’t a sure thing like most 5 stars (although they miss there). 3 stars seem to be the backbone of the teams, maybe because there are much more of them? One thing is for sure it’s not exact, heck look at the NFL! Best scouts, talent evaluators, and trainers possible and even with that they miss a ton on even 1st rounders. I think desire to be great is the most underrated quality and will out perform more athletic people due to hard work. Kind of like PJ in his college/NFL career.

It’s interesting how many of these 4 star recruits never work out. I watch a lot of college football and it seems like that group has a lot of misses. Maybe it’s because they aren’t a sure thing like most 5 stars (although they miss there). 3 stars seem to be the backbone of the teams, maybe because there are much more of them? One thing is for sure it’s not exact, heck look at the NFL! Best scouts, talent evaluators, and trainers possible and even with that they miss a ton on even 1st rounders. I think desire to be great is the most underrated quality and will out perform more athletic people due to hard work. Kind of like PJ in his college/NFL career.
I bet it's more of a thing when a 4* goes to a team that isn't a recruiting juggernaut, such that that 4* is one of the top recruits in that class.

Then they feel like they should be starting either right away or year 2 at the latest, and won't wait.

Something like that? Spitballin

Percentage-wise, more 3-Star-rated players are coming out of high school. Some were bound to be under-evaluated, which points to how inexact HS recruiting ratings are. They blossomed into great college players in a developmental program like Gopher Football.

Antoine Winfield, Jr. is a great example. College scouts and talent evaluators missed out on him. They rated him at 0.8285 (247 Composite). IMHO, he became a five-star player by the end of his college career.

Top Bottom