Update On Minnesota Linebacker Coach Mike Sherels‏ in Hospital

If you get a surgical infection, they have to go in and clean out the surgical site - maybe remove infected tissue or just irrigate it/do local antibiotics. If he was having surgery on like a ligament where something where they were putting a foreign object in his body, they might have had to remove it. I went to college with a guy who was almost killed by Methodist from a knee surgery. He got a bad cadaver part and got a bad infection.

Wow, those Methodists can be dangerous, tell him next time to try an Episcopalian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It doesn't feel right making light of this situation. Coach is in a tough place and there's a reason why there is little information. Hopefully we can do so when he finds his health.

It doesn't feel right making light of this situation. Coach is in a tough place and there's a reason why there is little information. Hopefully we can do so when he finds his health.

No disrespect intended. We all hope for the best for coach and respect his privacy. The thread had just taken a tangent with baseless speculations. Comment was targeted to the speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a doctor who went in for a colon resection. He reported pain and went back in, he had a major infection that required a second surgery to clean it up and make sure the stitching was correct, antiboitc flush, and on a drip. That lead to intensive care, a respirator, and the loss of over 80 pounds. He recovered, if that what you call it but he hasn't been back to work for over a year. I certainly hope it is not this serious, but surgical infections are damn serious. Hoping to hear some good news for Mike.

Wow, those Methodists can be dangerous, tell him next time to try an Episcopalian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a hospital in St Louis Park. They also almost killed my father-in-law by double dosing his medication.

Needless to say, I would t recommend them.

Actual News:

Jordan Named Acting Linebacker Coach

University of Minnesota head coach Tracy Claeys announced today that linebacker coach Mike Sherels will be away from the team as he recovers from recent surgeries. There is no timetable for Sherels' return.

“We want to thank everyone for respecting Mike’s privacy and that of his family,” said Claeys. “We ask that you continue to do so as he recovers. Mike is a resilient man who represents the best of college football. He will be in our daily thoughts as we continue to prepare for the season, and we look forward to Mike’s return to the staff when he is ready.”

Claeys announced that Keith Jordan will serve as acting linebackers coach as Sherels recovers. Jordan, who is in his 35th year of working in football, previously handled Minnesota’ special teams quality control. Prior to coming to Minnesota, he was the defensive coordinator at Fort Scott Community College. He has also coached at Northern Michigan, Northeast Missouri State, Southwest Baptist and spent 17 seasons coaching in the high school ranks.

-Gopher Football-

My thoughts and prayers to Mike Sherels and his family for a speedy recovery. Infections in hospitals and after surgery are more common than you think.

From SON's post:

I'll take that as a very good sign.

Not trying to be negative Nellie, but what are they going to say, "assuming he ever is ready"? I obviously have no idea how serious it is or isn't, but unless the Sherels family releases a statement to the contrary, the U is at least publicly going to act like he could be back any time.

I'm certainly hoping he'll be fine and hoping Mr. Jordan's stint as a Linebacker Coach is a very short one!

Not trying to be negative Nellie, but what are they going to say, "assuming he ever is ready"? I obviously have no idea how serious it is or isn't, but unless the Sherels family releases a statement to the contrary, the U is at least publicly going to act like he could be back any time.

I'm certainly hoping he'll be fine and hoping Mr. Jordan's stint as a Linebacker Coach is a very short one!

Yeah I agree. They want privacy on this so they can't say anything, and pretty much haven't said much. Hard to tell about any of this.

I think you are overthinking things to be honest. Why would Claeys even say that if there was uncertainty about a recovery?

Because "recovery" is a relative term. See: "Life".

Here's the entirety of TC's remark:

“We ask that you continue to do so as he recovers. Mike is a resilient man who represents the best of college football. He will be in our daily thoughts as we continue to prepare for the season, and we look forward to Mike’s return to the staff when he is ready.

If Mike wasn't out of the woods, why add the last part if you were uncertain he was going to make it. It makes no sense. I understand that it could be a long time before he gets back to work, but Coach Claeys must have information that Mike will pull through imo.

Here's the entirety of TC's remark:

“We ask that you continue to do so as he recovers. Mike is a resilient man who represents the best of college football. He will be in our daily thoughts as we continue to prepare for the season, and we look forward to Mike’s return to the staff when he is ready.”

If Mike wasn't out of the woods, why add the last part if you were uncertain he was going to make it. It makes no sense. I understand that it could be a long time before he gets back to work, but Coach Claeys must have information that Mike will pull through imo.

Which could be a year from now, maybe two. I love Mike. I believe he is in a serious place right now.

Good news

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good news

I would say that qualifies as Great News! Even if he can't yet return to coaching has to be a good sign that they sent him home.

It's great news it might be awhile before they can estimate recovery time. I've had a couple of surgeries where, it took a follow up appointmet or two, before I could get the doctor to estimate a recovery time.

That's good news.

The whole surgery, and then rushed surgery / calling family in was a terrible sign.

Top Bottom