UPDATE: Jasmine Powell Leaves Team: Transfers to Tennessee

Powell is very talented, and many didn't like her game, but she will be coached up at TN and will thrive.
She was coached up here so much that she quit on her teammates in the middle of the season because she didn't like being coached up. She will thrive there as long as the teammates are really talented too so they are good enough as a team, they don't have to coach her up so much, she blows up again. I expect this will be the case but she will lose out in the long run because she won't develop as much as a player and a person.

Tennessee has dropped out of the top 25. #5 in preseason rankings.
Last two games - Jasmine Powell 2pts against Colorado and 1pt against Eastern Kentucky.
Kelly Harper is a solid coach and definitely in charge of her team.

Jasmine Powell's 7-5 Tennessee team will receive another visit from the grim reaper when Tennessee faces #2 Stanford. That game was to be a marque matchup. Tennessee fans must be wondering what happened.

Jasmine Powell has not started the last two games at Tennessee. She's played 14-15 minutes.

She transferring to Tennessee from Minnesota where she had a good career, although last season was not as good as the season before.

1671336566503.png

Kadi Sissoko at USC appears to be performing the best of the players that left, relatively speaking. At Minnesota last season she averaged 10.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. At USC Sissoko''s now averaging 16.8 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, for comparison.

Sara Scalia stats have declined since leaving Minnesota to Indiana. I won't say worse, because she's doing well, just different.

Scalia's highest scoring game this year is 17. Scalia this year is averaging 11.8 points per game for Indiana. The most 3-pointers she's made in a game so far this year is 4.

Last season for Minnesota Scalia averaged 17.9 points per game. Scalia scored over 30 points four times, including 37 points and 9 3-pointers against Ohio. Scalia made 111 3-pointers in a season last season.

So Scalia's stats have declined since leaving Minnesota. I won't say she's declined because it's a different situation where the team is doing well.

I think Powell's stock has gone down.

Minnesota is a top, quality basketball program where players will do well.

I don't know the reasons for the departures from Minnesota. I think the Gophers relentlessly hyping the new recruits coming in must have been a factor -- destined to take those starting roles. Scalia also eluded to the culture and wanting to play with a winning program, which she got with veteran Indiana instead of freshman Minnesota.

Anyway, overall leaving Minnesota didn't improve Powell or Scalia's games -- and in fact Minnesota was and is a good place to play basketball.

I love all the video and information we are receiving this year from the Minnesota program.

Minnesota is a top, quality basketball program.

1671336268695.png

Powell 2 pts and they choked away 4th vs Stanford
Miserable team game. They only had 5 assists to Stanfords 14. They didn't turn the ball over. Apparently they don't have strong enough team leadership to counter Powells negativity and selfishness. I guess I was wrong on the thought the leadership would be strong enough.

1671473936745.png

Humor alert.

"Interviewer: Jasmine Powell, you are a point guard. You were coached by a great coach Lindsay Whalen in Minnesota, one of the greatest point guards in history, who coached you up to honors lists. Now your game this season is not at that level. What in the world were you thinking when you left Minnesota?"

OK, I will stop with the humor. Logically, probably seeing a top ranked point guard coming in had something to do with it, logically. Players want to start.

1671505009859.png

Last edited:

The reason that Powell and Scalia left because they wanted to play on top ranked teams that would play in the NCAA tournament. It had nothing to due with the incoming Freshmen - The Freshmen would be sitting this year if they would have stayed. They both were selfish players at Minnesota and had a coach that allowed them to do so. Whalen tends to promote self. However, it got them the stats needed to move on to much better programs. Scalia has adapted to playing team basketball at Indiana and Powell continued to play for herself at Tennessee. Selfish players can be a cancer to a team.

Jasmine Powell's 7-5 Tennessee team will receive another visit from the grim reaper when Tennessee faces #2 Stanford. That game was to be a marque matchup. Tennessee fans must be wondering what happened.

Jasmine Powell has not started the last two games at Tennessee. She's played 14-15 minutes.

She transferring to Tennessee from Minnesota where she had a good career, although last season was not as good as the season before.

View attachment 22515

Kadi Sissoko at USC appears to be performing the best of the players that left, relatively speaking. At Minnesota last season she averaged 10.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. At USC Sissoko''s now averaging 16.8 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, for comparison.

Sara Scalia stats have declined since leaving Minnesota to Indiana. I won't say worse, because she's doing well, just different.

Scalia's highest scoring game this year is 17. Scalia this year is averaging 11.8 points per game for Indiana. The most 3-pointers she's made in a game so far this year is 4.

Last season for Minnesota Scalia averaged 17.9 points per game. Scalia scored over 30 points four times, including 37 points and 9 3-pointers against Ohio. Scalia made 111 3-pointers in a season last season.

So Scalia's stats have declined since leaving Minnesota. I won't say she's declined because it's a different situation where the team is doing well.

I think Powell's stock has gone down.

Minnesota is a top, quality basketball program where players will do well.

I don't know the reasons for the departures from Minnesota. I think the Gophers relentlessly hyping the new recruits coming in must have been a factor -- destined to take those starting roles. Scalia also eluded to the culture and wanting to play with a winning program, which she got with veteran Indiana instead of freshman Minnesota.

Anyway, overall leaving Minnesota didn't improve Powell or Scalia's games -- and in fact Minnesota was and is a good place to play basketball.

I love all the video and information we are receiving this year from the Minnesota program.

Minnesota is a top, quality basketball program.

View attachment 22514

There is also the truth in that you often only get to choose your boss (coach) or how much you make. I think two people can both be good people and successful and not a fit together. I think of coaching changes kind of like a merger/acquisition. It's more than just getting a new boss because EVERYTHING changes - language, culture, etc. It's getting a new company. Tons of people don't stick around post-merger and it's not because they are bad people and it's not because the "powers-that-be" are bad people. Just not a perfect fit.

The reason that Powell and Scalia left because they wanted to play on top ranked teams that would play in the NCAA tournament. It had nothing to due with the incoming Freshmen - The Freshmen would be sitting this year if they would have stayed. They both were selfish players at Minnesota and had a coach that allowed them to do so. Whalen tends to promote self. However, it got them the stats needed to move on to much better programs. Scalia has adapted to playing team basketball at Indiana and Powell continued to play for herself at Tennessee. Selfish players can be a cancer to a team.
No way the freshman would have sat this year. Maybe Borowicz….Braun, Battle and Heyer are too legit. Scalia could have played with them. Powell would have been sitting.

I recently had a great conversation with a nationally known woman’s basketball announcer and fan. I asked her what she thought about the annual issues the U has had @ point guard. Her opinion, she admitted her bias that she likes Whalen, was that it was difficult for Whalen to let the player learn , struggle and improve on their own timeline because she has such a strong idea on how the position needs to perform. Not a huge newsflash but it helped me think of the critical development of this position in a different way.

“Whalen tends to promote self”? What? She did everything she could to make Powell and Scalia good players. Selfishness is hard to overcome. And Powell’s poor point guard leadership skills are coming to fruition again at Tennessee.

Do you think that Auriemma lets players learn on their own timeline? Or any other top coaches?
The quality of player he gets is different than what Whalen has—so a different method may be warranted. She has a great freshman class. We’ll see what happens with it.

The quality of player he gets is different than what Whalen has—so a different method may be warranted. She has a great freshman class. We’ll see what happens with it.
I was making the opposite point (unless I misinterpreted you): the players Whalen gets should need even more coaching than Geno's. But does anyone think he lets them freeform away from his system? Even with the talent he gets, their going to listen to him and his assistants. And if they stray too far they'll sit.

I was making the opposite point (unless I misinterpreted you): the players Whalen gets should need even more coaching than Geno's. But does anyone think he lets them freeform away from his system? Even with the talent he gets, their going to listen to him and his assistants. And if they stray too far they'll sit.
I misinterpreted. We agree on this topic! They definitely stay on task with him.

“Whalen tends to promote self”? What? She did everything she could to make Powell and Scalia good players. Selfishness is hard to overcome. And Powell’s poor point guard leadership skills are coming to fruition again at Tennessee.
Whalen always overhyped Powell and Scalia. Whalen promoted their "selfishness" and gave them way too many minutes and too many shot attempts given all their issues. Selfish shots, look offs to open players, no effort defense. Majority of coaches would have sat them and given other players opportunities. Scalia has learned better defense (in a system) at Indiana and she is now a role player on a top 5 team. Powell is finally where she belongs.. pine.

Whalen always overhyped Powell and Scalia. Whalen promoted their "selfishness" and gave them way too many minutes and too many shot attempts given all their issues. Selfish shots, look offs to open players, no effort defense. Majority of coaches would have sat them and given other players opportunities. Scalia has learned better defense (in a system) at Indiana and she is now a role player on a top 5 team. Powell is finally where she belongs.. pine.
I realize that there are a variety of definitions for role player, but felt I should point out that Scalia currently leads her 12-0 Indiana team in average minutes played. Is 2nd in shots taken. Although her percentages of 37% and 33% are lower than she'd like, I would say that she is flourishing. Not the best player on her team, but that might be exactly what she was looking for. An experienced team, where she could be a reliable contributor.

Someone like Geno has the power to sit players when they stray off program now. He didn’t always when he started, and his teams were .500. It took him awhile. Now he can do that and replace them with another 5 star. Lindsay is doing that this year as she has players who can come off the bench and fill those minutes. If she would have benched Scalia and Powell both last year, they might have been shutout. I Dont think it is fair to compare what Geno can do today with what Lindsay had to deal with the past few years. Coaches like Geno and Coach K took a few years until they were able to get the right recruits. To be honest, I believe Whalen had to take players she didn’t have a chance to recruit properly in her first three years. Covid was a big part of that. All distance recruiting without the benefit of having built the relationships prior to Covid as all the power coaches had built up. Geno had been recruiting players like Paige for years. When Covid hit, he already had built the groundwork for their recruitment. The current freshman class is a product of 4-5 years of building a recruiting relationship with them. You can see a different style of commitment out of them, I think, as a result.

I have watched Scalia this season. She is still a weak link defender who has tremendous quickness behind her in the help side.

No way the freshman would have sat this year. Maybe Borowicz….Braun, Battle and Heyer are too legit. Scalia could have played with them. Powell would have been sitting.
I agree totally. And Scalia would have flourished. Well, maybe if Rose could pass out of the post.

Powell had tremendous potential, she wasn't coached up. TN was probably the worst spot she could go to just because of all the diva transfers coming in, that rarely turns into success especially when those players had issues at other schools. Powell got off to a good start at Tn, not sure what happened. I still wouldn't want to play them in the tourney.
Keep in mind if Powell, Scalia and Kadi would of played this early schedule they might only have 1 loss, Iowa. Last year the first half of the year we played Uconn, Oklahoma, Syracuse, North Carolina and a few other solid teams. Good teams expose weaknesses, players and coaches.
Last years team could shoot, but the chemistry wasn't there to finish games.
Prior years, the staff not only missed out on some elite talent in the state like Ustsby, Kneepkens, Hart, McKenzie, they signed kids that in the AAU circles had struggled or had been passed over by the top teams. The coaching staff needed time to learn Div 1 coaching and recruiting and how to communicate and mesh kids together.
Now fast forward to this year, they have a nice core group of young players, there are still missing pieces just like last year, these next couple games against Maryland and Ohio State we will get a better idea of weaknesses and gaps that need to be filled.

Someone like Geno has the power to sit players when they stray off program now. He didn’t always when he started, and his teams were .500. It took him awhile. Now he can do that and replace them with another 5 star. Lindsay is doing that this year as she has players who can come off the bench and fill those minutes. If she would have benched Scalia and Powell both last year, they might have been shutout. I Dont think it is fair to compare what Geno can do today with what Lindsay had to deal with the past few years. Coaches like Geno and Coach K took a few years until they were able to get the right recruits. To be honest, I believe Whalen had to take players she didn’t have a chance to recruit properly in her first three years. Covid was a big part of that. All distance recruiting without the benefit of having built the relationships prior to Covid as all the power coaches had built up. Geno had been recruiting players like Paige for years. When Covid hit, he already had built the groundwork for their recruitment. The current freshman class is a product of 4-5 years of building a recruiting relationship with them. You can see a different style of commitment out of them, I think, as a result.

I have watched Scalia this season. She is still a weak link defender who has tremendous quickness behind her in the help side.
tremendous quickness in the help side? Parrish, Garzon and Holmes are quick?
I think it is called team defense and it is taught to 5 individuals that need to act as 1.

Powell had tremendous potential, she wasn't coached up. TN was probably the worst spot she could go to just because of all the diva transfers coming in, that rarely turns into success especially when those players had issues at other schools. Powell got off to a good start at Tn, not sure what happened. I still wouldn't want to play them in the tourney.
Keep in mind if Powell, Scalia and Kadi would of played this early schedule they might only have 1 loss, Iowa. Last year the first half of the year we played Uconn, Oklahoma, Syracuse, North Carolina and a few other solid teams. Good teams expose weaknesses, players and coaches.
Last years team could shoot, but the chemistry wasn't there to finish games.
Prior years, the staff not only missed out on some elite talent in the state like Ustsby, Kneepkens, Hart, McKenzie, they signed kids that in the AAU circles had struggled or had been passed over by the top teams. The coaching staff needed time to learn Div 1 coaching and recruiting and how to communicate and mesh kids together.
Now fast forward to this year, they have a nice core group of young players, there are still missing pieces just like last year, these next couple games against Maryland and Ohio State we will get a better idea of weaknesses and gaps that need to be filled.
Powell was "coached up", but the player has to be able and willing to take the coaching and put it into action. Powell didn't do that at Minnesota and she isn't doing it at Tennessee, hence why she is seeing her playing time/role decrease.

Tennessee falls to UCONN 84-67. Jasmine Powell 0 Pts in 18 minutes.
Kelly Harper has Powell passing the ball and her field goal attempts have been drastically decreased.
Lou Lopez Senechal, a Fairfield transfer, with 26 pts to lead the Huskies. Tennessee plays #4LSU next.

Was good to see Uconn win was some trashy play from Tennessee under basket and couple near scuffles

Top Bottom