UPDATE: Jasmine Powell Leaves Team: Transfers to Tennessee

Death, taxes and increased # of posts on GH when something negative happens. Just like when DP left we will never now all the factors that lead to her decision. I want all our student athletes to be successful in their future endeavors. Go Gophers !

Getting off track here. Yes, a good win. Whalen wants players to work hard and be successful. She has a good group of ladies coming in next year who want to be pushed so I look forward to more wins. I do wish Powell well. She may have a couple things going on with her life besides basketball.

Izzo and Geno have earned the ability to practice their style by winning. They also started when
their coaching style was common place. i don't believe it would work without their accomplishments and the recruits wide eyed acceptance and knowledge of their coaching style.
They accept it because they know if they join that coach they'll win.
Whalen screaming her message with under .500 records is not going to be received the same way in 2022.

What others say:

Jasmine Powell, a transfer point from Minnesota, has committed to Tennessee.

The 5-6 point guard from Detroit visited Tennessee last week and took in the 86-64 win over Mississippi State at Thompson-Boling Arena in the penultimate game of the regular season. Powell played nearly three seasons at Minnesota before entering the transfer portal in January and will be a senior next season for the Lady Vols.

She is an elite defender and, combined with the point and combo guards returning to Tennessee for the 2022-23 season, including Jordan Walker, Jordan Horston, Brooklynn Miles and Kaiya Wynn, will allow the Lady Vols to be a team that picks up its defense full court and can do so for long stretches with its depth. Powell also racks up assists and can shoot to the arc.

Powell was on the All-Big Ten freshman team at Minnesota, as well as All-Big 10 second team as a sophomore when she averaged 14.5 points, 5.4 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 1.4 steals.

Will she start for Tennessee? That seems like a bit of a strange match. Wish her well.

I knew Kellie Harper when she was with Missouri State. She was a great hire for Tennessee. Good coach and leader, very intense. Wishing Powell the best at Tennessee. Much higher standard at Tennessee then here for sure.

I knew Kellie Harper when she was with Missouri State. She was a great hire for Tennessee. Good coach and leader, very intense. Wishing Powell the best at Tennessee. Much higher standard at Tennessee then here for sure.
I will be curious to see how well Jasmine does there.

Good luck playing there ball hog
You may think she is a ball hog but consider the quality of teammates and lack of foot speed and reaction time of her teammates at MN. GOPHERS are slow with a few exceptions. If she is good enough a player to get a scholarship at Tennessee, she is considered a fairly good player. I think your comment reflects more on Minnesota'a inability to recruit and keep talented players. Clearly not right going on at Minnesota right now. Losing games and not being able to finish teams off is a continued problem that festers all if these cracks.

So true. Too bad there is one left. The one who shoots all the shots and gets a pass on defense.
Agreed and I think we can all see who that is.the one that plays very little defense, yet gets no criticism.

Interview with Jaz: She covers fitting in with the Lady Vol offense, defense and culture plus her visit to Knoxville.

Interview with Jaz: She covers fitting in with the Lady Vol offense, defense and culture plus her visit to Knoxville.

I wouldn't be surprised you surround Jaz with better talent, better coaching, she could really end up being the steal of the portal. She will be held accountable and I think she needed that.

Tennessee confirms Powell's transfer:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee women's basketball head coach Kellie Harper confirmed Wednesday that she has received SEC Grants-in-Aid (GIA) and Institutional Financial Aid Agreements (IFAA) from highly-touted incoming transfers Rickea Jackson from Mississippi State University and Jasmine Powell from the University of Minnesota.

Jackson, a 6-foot-2 senior forward, and Powell, a 5-6 senior point guard, both hail from Detroit, Michigan, and made their decisions public via social media on March 2 and March 24, respectively. The graduates of Detroit Edison Public School Academy and Detroit Country Day School, respectively, will have two seasons of collegiate eligibility remaining, including the NCAA's exempted season granted due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
[...]
"I am thrilled to welcome Rickea and Jasmine to our Lady Vol family," Harper said. "I'm excited about Jasmine's ability to create scoring opportunities for herself and teammates both in transition and in the half court. The versatility, skill set and size that Rickea has will allow her to be aggressive and make plays from multiple positions.

"highly-touted?"
It will be interesting to see how she fits into that team. She has obvious talent but she struggled as the PG here and GH " experts " have exhausted the reasons. I often wondered if she would be more successful as the off or shooting guard ? I was sad to see her go but wish her the best.

I will watch to see how she fits in and where her game goes. I was disappointed in her production and the amount of turnovers she had. She missed a lot of passing lanes to our post players in games I watched. For all her hype coming in I feel like she never really progressed. Some of that is on Whalen i suppose but a lot is on the player to put the time and effort in to improve. I can tell you I improved after getting to college but i worked at it. The coach should not be required to hold someones hand all the time. Some kids just are not driven.

I'm a Tennessee fan (since the Pat Summitt days). It will be interesting to see how Jaz does.

Powell got the start in the Lady Vols 108-63 exhibition win versus Carson-Newman. Jasmine played 15 minutes scoring 9 points (2-3 from three) with 1 rebound, 3 assists and 2 fouls. 15 minutes was pretty much the norm for Tennessee players.

Powell is very talented, and many didn't like her game, but she will be coached up at TN and will thrive.

Top Bottom