UPDATE: Jasmine Powell Leaves Team: Transfers to Tennessee

I am sorry to see Jasmine leave. She was an exciting player to watch. It is clear that the team chemistry and morale have been lacking the past several games. Maybe, the change will be good for Jasmine and the Gophers.

I think Jasmine was carrying a heavy load. I think she like being a/the leading scorer but her first responsibility needed to be to control the tempo of the game and bring the best out of her teammates. Very few people can be an outstanding scorer and a great point guard at the same time.

I thought that Jasmine should probably be a shooting guard and someone else the floor general. If Borowicz wasn't injured, maybe she would have filled that role. Hopefully, someone will step in and be a good point guard and other players will lift their games.

I think this is a good point. You definitley need different approaches to getting different players to do what needs to be done based on the players temperament/personality. Still, at the end of the day the person needs to do what needs to be done. If they don't it they have failed and if the coach can't find a way to have that message received and executed then the coach has failed.
Some players take instruction as unfounded criticism while others take it as a constructive criticism.

Some players take instruction as unfounded criticism while others take it as a constructive criticism.
Agree. However it can depend on how the message is delivered. Is that person a good communicator?

Penny Hardaway is more comparable IMO to Whalen
Hardaway had many years of actual coaching experience. Whalen was an experiment and a marketing splash. Anyone who thought there would be no growing pains was ignorant. That stuff is evident in some of the earlier roster construction and team defense.
However two players leaving mid season doesn’t mean much now a days. Miss St has Doug Novak coaching them. He’s one of the best communicators I’ve seen. It happens now a days. Lindsey will get a longer leash than many would (fair or not). She’s got a big time class coming in and hopefully she’s learned about the type and style of player she wants and responds best to her.

Izzo openly and loudly criticizes his players during a game. Has Whalen?
Mostly guessing but I'm betting the foundation is different. Izzo's guys know how much he cares about them. How much he loves them. How much he wants success for them as people. How much time he has spent talking to them. They have an understanding of who one another are.
Guessing that is the disconnect with Whalen.

Why are we assuming this is a coaching issue and not a Jazzy issue? My guess probably alittle of both, but who knows. Tomorrow's game could be telling 🤷🏼‍♀️

Why are we assuming this is a coaching issue and not a Jazzy issue? My guess probably alittle of both, but who knows. Tomorrow's game could be telling 🤷🏼‍♀️
Agree. No one knows. The only thing known is the coaching has been poor

Mostly guessing but I'm betting the foundation is different. Izzo's guys know how much he cares about them. How much he loves them. How much he wants success for them as people. How much time he has spent talking to them. They have an understanding of who one another are.
Guessing that is the disconnect with Whalen.
Guessing!? I'm watching a B1G ten men's bb game in which the coach called time out and berated his players for the entire time out...maybe Whalen needs to show more emotions to show she cares.

Guessing!? I'm watching a B1G ten men's bb game in which the coach called time out and berated his players for the entire time out...maybe Whalen needs to show more emotions to show she cares.
There is the FACT it is very likely going to fail if you try and coach women like men.

Players sign on knowing who he is and the results get attains. No woke players need to apply.
I'm sure he has woke players. 80% of college kids are woke, unfortunately. But I submit that if you gave ben johnson izzo's recruits, ben would do just as well without abusing refs and his players.

I wish her well . She cannot get any worse coaching….
Totally agree w/ you Roland on the coaching.
However, leaving in the middle of the season is immature and selfish. Show some class and transfer after the last second of the final season game. Looks bad on player/ program. Powell probably wanted to participate in an NCAA tournament during her college career like Destiny Pitts. Not gonna happen here.

However, leaving in the middle of the season is immature and selfish. Show some class and transfer after the last second of the final season game. Looks bad on player/ program. Powell probably wanted to participate in an NCAA tournament during her college career like Destiny Pitts. Not gonna happen here.
Can a player transfer mid-season and play on her new team in the same season?

I'm sure he has woke players. 80% of college kids are woke, unfortunately. But I submit that if you gave ben johnson izzo's recruits, ben would do just as well without abusing refs and his players.
You can speculate all you want in the meantime Izzo gets the players and the results. And if there is a woke player on Izzo team they probably be looking to leave the team.

Many years ago, it used to be that athletes rarely left a program in the middle of the season. If you did, you were labeled as a "Quitter." No one liked quitters because when the going gets tough, you can't count on the person. Times have changed. Many players only think of themselves and not their teammates. The transfer portal has made big changes to college sports. It is really easy to switch teams now. The transfer portal is the free agency of college sports.

You can speculate all you want in the meantime Izzo gets the players and the results. And if there is a woke player on Izzo team they probably be looking to leave the team.
Do you know Izzo or anyone who has worked with him, for him, or played for him? I do know a few in 2 of the 3 categories I listed and your comment. He’s had plenty of guys who I’m assuming you define as “woke”. Izzo could not care less about a players political beliefs and more about if they can defend, be tough, and be a good teammate. Let’s keep this thread on Whalens poor coaching lol

The NCAA record 56 point trouncing probably didn't help matters.

Can a player transfer mid-season and play on her new team in the same season?

It happened this season with Mir McClean. She played for UConn to start the season and then transferred to Virginia where she now plays for the Cavaliers.

The answer used to be no; but with immediate eligibility and the ability to finish fall semester at one school and start spring semester at another it could easily change.

Many years ago, it used to be that athletes rarely left a program in the middle of the season. If you did, you were labeled as a "Quitter." No one liked quitters because when the going gets tough, you can't count on the person. Times have changed. Many players only think of themselves and not their teammates. The transfer portal has made big changes to college sports. It is really easy to switch teams now. The transfer portal is the free agency of college sports.

Sometimes the decision is mutual between the coaching staff and the player. Over the years, we've had several players leave mid-season.

Do you know Izzo or anyone who has worked with him, for him, or played for him? I do know a few in 2 of the 3 categories I listed and your comment. He’s had plenty of guys who I’m assuming you define as “woke”. Izzo could not care less about a players political beliefs and more about if they can defend, be tough, and be a good teammate. Let’s keep this thread on Whalens poor coaching lol

Reading one paragraph and assuming you know the full context of a discussion is a little presumptuous on your part.

It happened this season with Mir McClean. She played for UConn to start the season and then transferred to Virginia where she now plays for the Cavaliers.

The answer used to be no; but with immediate eligibility and the ability to finish fall semester at one school and start spring semester at another it could easily change.
You're not supposed to be able to play for two teams in the same season, regardless if changing over the semester break. For example Dain Dainja from Baylor can't play for Illinois this spring.

But there are waivers for everything, and I suppose if it's a good enough reason you can get one.

Reading one paragraph and assuming you know the full context of a discussion is a little presumptuous on your part.
I read the whole thread first if it makes you feel better. Just adding some context about Izzo.

Top Bottom