UNLV thinks they have a chance to beat the Gophers

As coach has said, we're a young team. And young teams have a habit of being inconsistant. They look great on some days and awful on others. Here's hoping we have a day of the former next thursday evening.

I hate to say it, but WAC officials would be worse.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I was just pretty sure that UNLV wouldn't have friendly MWC refs to fall back on. If it's WAC then I'm just worried about them sucking across the board.

Even when UNLV has been terrible, it has been a fairly tough place for visiting teams to play. Their homefield advantage rival's Hawaii's in that the process of playing there is loaded with so many distractions, and an unusual climate... upsets happen regularly. Almost all of their (admittedly, few) wins in recent years have been at home.

The Gophers are either they type of team that can compete in the Big Ten this year or they are not. They will either be distracted, or focused and well-prepared. If they don't come out on-fire, I think it will be a long, difficult game that could easily end in a loss.

Assuming Bobby Hauck has them on the right track at all, they will be much better than they were last year. And I don't think any of us have any reason to think they won't have significantly improved.

Agreed. Hauck was one of those young up-and-comers when he was at Montana and it will be interesting to see if he can get the corner turned at UNLV, but the guy knows how to coach.

I think that Hauck is actually a good guy too. Many UNLV coaches (started by Lon Kruger) go to community schools and speak with kids about different issues such as health, academics, etc. Her is Hauck at a school this spring. My wife is in the photo and would kill me if she knew I did this. Go Gophers!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...69862705.76734.145905712145046&type=1&theater

Wow.. Considering where we have been the last.. Oh say, 7 years, there's a LOT of big talking going on right now from our fans. Sounds a LOT like how we talked about how badly we were going to smoke New Mexico State last year after that awesome game against USC. We all remember how that turned out, right?

Yeah, lets reel it in, boys.

I like this. We will get an honest look from them. I actually partially agree with Art Vandelay. Any team worth their salt should think they are going to win their first game. I am sure the coaching staff is letting our Gophers know this every day in preparation.

I like this. We will get an honest look from them. I actually partially agree with Art Vandelay. Any team worth their salt should think they are going to win their first game. I am sure the coaching staff is letting our Gophers know this every day in preparation.

Yep, even a struggling program like UNLV is full of competitive and athletic guys who are going to come out and think they can win their first game. Why wouldn't they have confidence against us? We've lost FCS schools two years in a row, we lost to NMSU last season, and we are travelling there. I'd find it bizarre if they didn't have some confidence going into this game.

Yep, even a struggling program like UNLV is full of competitive and athletic guys who are going to come out and think they can win their first game. Why wouldn't they have confidence against us? We've lost FCS schools two years in a row, we lost to NMSU last season, and we are travelling there. I'd find it bizarre if they didn't have some confidence going into this game.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I am hoping our Gophers pound that hope out of them. Well for three hours anyway.

Wow.. Considering where we have been the last.. Oh say, 7 years, there's a LOT of big talking going on right now from our fans. Sounds a LOT like how we talked about how badly we were going to smoke New Mexico State last year after that awesome game against USC. We all remember how that turned out, right?

Yeah, lets reel it in, boys.

No, there's not a lot of big talking. What there is a lot of is gloom and doom.

Yep, And technically, the Viqueens can win the super bowl, but reality says " With The number 4 pick in the 2013 Nfl draft the Minnesota Vikings select Blah, blah, blah, QB, Blah blah, U,

Amen - I was going to say that if you took out the objects that identified UNLV that there is no way you could tell which team it had been written for. But you went a step further. Great job!

I don't know why so many folks on this board think that MN can turn around from two really bad years with no issue and yet UNLV is absolutely incapable of improving. I know we're all homers, but this game is no gimme. If they don't go out and excecute, they can easily lose this game. I hope they win, I think they should win, but until they do, there are no guarantees.

Which can be said about most every team....HS, college or pro.

3395_427942920581392_197106084_n.jpg

Best post of the year! That is one of the problem this country is having. We have too many talkers and not enough doers.

Thanks. Once every few years I come up with a good post.........Parski-1 might argue that of course.:)

The losses to USD, NMSU and NDSU were bad. No B1G team worth its salt should lose to those teams. What are the common denominators in those games? We let each team build a solid lead, our secondary got picked apart and turnovers. Oh and few playmakers. I think the upheaval in the program led to the losses more so than say lack of talent or bad coaching, etc. The past two seasons the team has improved down the stretch as the players and coaches figured things out. I think retaining the same staff and schemes for the first time in years will lessen the amount of mental mistakes that killed us in these situations. I am looking forward to this game. I am optimistic. But like many of you those horrible losses are in the back of my mind.

Best post of the year! That is one of the problem this country is having. We have too many talkers and not enough doers.

Though I'll throw myself wholly on the optimist side, greatest posts of 2012. Question: What if the kool-aid glass is half full?

The losses to USD, NMSU and NDSU were bad. No B1G team worth its salt should lose to those teams. What are the common denominators in those games? We let each team build a solid lead, our secondary got picked apart and turnovers. Oh and few playmakers. I think the upheaval in the program led to the losses more so than say lack of talent or bad coaching, etc. The past two seasons the team has improved down the stretch as the players and coaches figured things out. I think retaining the same staff and schemes for the first time in years will lessen the amount of mental mistakes that killed us in these situations. I am looking forward to this game. I am optimistic. But like many of you those horrible losses are in the back of my mind.

The optimist tells me that this team is nothing like we've seen in the last 6 years. We're young, but talented...and prepared like no other in that stretch as well. Coach Reeves said that after the Michigan game, this staff and these players would never again be unprepared. They have contingencies for their contingencies.

As for the bad, old thoughts... We all have them. I think that the UNLV game will not only help you heal, but I BELIEVE that it will be almost cathartic...

If you can't be optimistic, you are no fan.

There's something different about this team. Something we haven't seen in Rebel-land in a long time. A quiet confidence and comittment to excellence and kicking ass.

LMAO... I remember the last time someone said that...

I am such an optimist that even a half-full glass of Mid-July car trunk warm Blatz Light is better than nothing.

Top Bottom